Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 May 2004, 20:24 (Ref:985432)   #1
mike bt
Rookie

mike bt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ant to Williams?

According to Autosport, Ant Davidson is in the frame for a Williams drive. At last he's beginning to get the recognition he deserves!! His performances in Friday practice have been simply stunning, he's consistently quick over many laps and on circuits he's never driven before!! IMO it's no coincidence that BAR have made progress this year; presumably he has made some contribution to their emergence as a front running team, otherwise what is the role of a test driver? Well done Ant!
Old 27 May 2004, 20:27 (Ref:985437)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we've been over this here a few times.

He'd be a good shout, alongside Webber or Coulthard.
Old 27 May 2004, 20:57 (Ref:985455)   #3
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know much about Davidson, but I was surprised at how fast he comes to grips with a F1car. It showed at Minardi and it shows at BAR. Can't see why he shouldn't have a shot at racing in F1.
Old 27 May 2004, 21:10 (Ref:985467)   #4
mike bt
Rookie

Considering how knowledgable this forum is, I was kind of surprised that not too many people mentioned Ant when the subject of possible replacements at Williams was raised. I mean what's all this nonsense about getting Villeneuve back or Coulthard? We need some new blood to challenge Michael. Button's doing a good job, but another serious challenger wouldn't go amiss.
Old 27 May 2004, 21:15 (Ref:985471)   #5
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My mail was a starting drive where he is now.Either way he regarded highly by all in the paddock so a starting drive some where is given.

The Grumpy1
Old 27 May 2004, 21:18 (Ref:985475)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
mike bt, welcoem to the forum. We do mention him, but it gets lost in the Villeneuve stuff.

Anyway. Ant is a possibility and there is at least one member who thinks he'll do well Don't worry this forum hasn't forgotten AD.

Generally there is a list of potential William's drivers and AD is in with a chance. Personally I think it depends on Williams getting another driver who they are satisfied can challenge for the title. AD's relative lack of race mileage is his main problem as Head indicated, but if they get a more known quantity first then they might take a (little) risk.

It also looks like Pollock will allow his man (at the moment) to race for Williams if the opportunity comes up (according to Autosport this week).

Last edited by Adam43; 27 May 2004 at 21:19.
Old 27 May 2004, 21:29 (Ref:985481)   #7
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It also looks like Pollock will allow his man (at the moment) to race for Williams if the opportunity comes up (according to Autosport this week).
Pollock?
Old 27 May 2004, 21:43 (Ref:985490)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Richards.
Old 27 May 2004, 21:53 (Ref:985501)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
you see JV is in there again. Sorry, time for bed I reckon

Last edited by Adam43; 27 May 2004 at 21:54.
Old 27 May 2004, 21:54 (Ref:985504)   #10
mike bt
Rookie

I agree with you Adam that his lack of recent F1 racing mileage could be a disadvantage, but I think his racecraft is not in question, he has raced at all levels from junior karts to F3 ( and sportscars) and has consistently been a winner. No doubt he'll make a few mistakes when he gets a drive, but as well as driving fast, he learns fast. I reckon if the 2001 British F3 season had had a couple of more races, he'd have beaten Sato to the title.
Old 27 May 2004, 22:38 (Ref:985556)   #11
Fondmetal
Rookie

Fondmetal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another hype lol
Old 28 May 2004, 00:12 (Ref:985606)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Davidson is clearly on the Williams short-(long-?)list. But I don't think we can make any judgements until we know a) whether Ralf is leaving, and b) what kind of experience Williams will be looking for.
Old 28 May 2004, 00:43 (Ref:985624)   #13
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Davidson does appear to be a quality driver, but why would Williams take on somebody else's tester when they have two of their own. Two who are both familiar with the car and also have F1 race experience.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 28 May 2004, 00:45 (Ref:985626)   #14
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
davidson's recent performances during the practices for GPs warrants a good look from any team, this guy is pretty fast...
Old 28 May 2004, 04:12 (Ref:985707)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
e-a has a point there. One of the new drivers could be a tester. I guess AD has a slight advantage over these because by the end of the year he'll have driven all the GP tracks in contemporary machinery.
Old 28 May 2004, 05:21 (Ref:985747)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
EVERY driver is linked to Williams..i don't take any seriously anymore.

Just look at the list.......it's enough for Williams to change a driver at every race.
Old 28 May 2004, 08:35 (Ref:985851)   #17
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One reason could be that they have their own doubts about Pizzonia's racecraft
Old 28 May 2004, 10:08 (Ref:985999)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think there's a quote somewhere in the previous thread from Patrick head saying that Ant isn't really in contention. And I'm not convinced that he should be. Test drivers tend to run higher revs on the engiens, and can use up the tyres more aggressively, and will foten do those laps on lower fuel, so I don't think he's faster than Jenson on merit. Consdiering their past F3 rivalry he may be roughly equal to Sato.
Old 28 May 2004, 10:23 (Ref:986018)   #19
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ant's doing himself no harm at all in terms of getting noticed. But I agree it's probably a little premature to be talking of him in a Williams seat. However, I would like to see him in a half decent race seat next year. Trouble is, while things are going so well for BAR it'd be kind of difficult to leave, but I can't see him replacing Jense or Taku. Unless, of course, one of them moves elsewhere...
Old 28 May 2004, 10:37 (Ref:986040)   #20
fatpiranha
Rookie

fatpiranha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Davidson is driving the BAR hybrid on Friday test sessions, its not the same car that Button and Sato are driving so its pointless comparing times

Both of Davidson's previous F1 drives ended with him beached in a gravel trap and I am sure that Frank will be more conscious of that than his tests in a hybrid car
Old 28 May 2004, 11:51 (Ref:986139)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

It's not a hybrid car.

It's a 2004 spec.
Old 28 May 2004, 12:09 (Ref:986155)   #22
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good point AA...what has filtered through to me is Ants feedback is exceptional, they also respect that he doesn't chuck it off and waste every teams time on test days.

Sorry to be a bore...(making a karting example again)...but if you accept that MS and the late Senna were the product of their fathers sticking them in karts at an early age...please consider my experience running my own British championship winning team for 8 years...there were a whole group of young karters that stood out after the Franchitti, Guy Smith, Manning era...Dan Wheldon, Mark Taylor, ANT, Jenson Button, Gary Paffett, Justin Wilson, Gareth Howell, Robbie Kerr and a few others, who always would siv their way through to the front time after time after time.

It's such a shame that people in motor racing never noticed. Laterly lads like Lewis Hamilton have been spotted and backed because Martin Hines (Zip Kart multi WC) involved Ron Dennis in his karting series. That Mercedes link helped Gary Paffett too (now a front runner in DTM)

As far as I am aware the only reason Williams have commented on Anthony is because journalists asked PH and Sir FW about him...nomore than that as far as I'm aware!
Old 28 May 2004, 13:45 (Ref:986263)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Nice to hear from you again Rennen and please pass my best wishes to ANT.

As far as the Willy drive goes, if Sir FW was bold enough to give Jenson a try, then why do people believe he would not do the same with ANT, especially bearing in mind your comments above.

With regard to Sato in F3, it is widely recognised that he was running a development Honda engine which rather flattered his talent. I'm not saying Taku isn't a good driver, just that it wasn't necessarily a level playing field in F3 that year.

I hope one of the big teams has the balls to give Anthony a chance as under the current test rules, he will not be able to take part in Friday testing next year! It would be a huge shame if so much talent were to hidden from the top team owners.
Old 28 May 2004, 14:15 (Ref:986312)   #24
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ralf-critics must be worried now..rumours have it that Ralf may not leave Williams afterall

Silly me..this is the silly season!
Old 28 May 2004, 14:16 (Ref:986314)   #25
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suppose a lot depends on how big (or not) a fan Sam Michaels is