Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2004, 15:25 (Ref:986404)   #1
Homer Simpson
Rookie

Homer Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Introduction to F1

I was reading some threads when I noticed that a lot of F1 fans were introduced to the sport by way of the media attention surrounding it following the 1994 Imola Grand Prix. I was hooked to the sport too late to have witnessed the event (I didn't even know F1 existed back then); I wonder how some of you fellow enthusiasts became interested in F1.
My first introduction was in fact via a bargain pc videogame (on sale for $9.99 because it was 2 seasons outdated) that just had three tracks: Monaco, the pre-Tilke Hockenheimring, and Spa. I had no idea who the drivers where, except that some guy named M. Schumacher kept winning every race. I played that game until I knew that each turn by memory, and started wondering what this F1 thing was all about. Luckily for me, this was back in 1998, so I got to watch the titanic battles between Schumacher and Hakkinen (not sure if I would have been a fan had I started following F1 during the 2001 season).
Old 28 May 2004, 16:29 (Ref:986458)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, i was into motor racing via my dad. Took me to Brands Hatch to see the BTCC cars in 1992. F3000 and BTCC was pretty much all i knew about from numerous subsequent visits to Brands.
Then towards the end of 1992 I started watching the Grand Prixs with my dad though being only 5 at the time I don't remember much of them. I just remember those two blue cars always being at the front

I became a big time fan in 1994 though, as a result of Senna's accident I guess. I've missed just 4 races since
Old 28 May 2004, 16:42 (Ref:986464)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I got into F1 because my dad was a big fan of Thierry Boutsen, i took quite a liking for 'that guy with the yellow helmet' (thats what i, according to my dad, called him back then) so we watched pretty much every race from about 1988-89 (very vague as i was only 5-6) untill and also the 3rd race of 1994...
After that i stopped watching because i didn't care much about battles between 'inferiors' like TGF and Hill, but since 1996 i have been watching again when a certain Canadian arrived on the scene.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 28 May 2004 at 16:45.
Old 28 May 2004, 16:44 (Ref:986466)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome Homer... ern... Simpson !

It's good to hear from some newbies and veterans how become addicted to F1... I had told my story more than a couple of times, and there's nothing special about it...
Old 28 May 2004, 17:12 (Ref:986494)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My dad was a big Mansell fan and I got into the sport when I was just four years old, back in 1989. I can remember loads of stuff like it were yesterday and it scares me that 15 years have passed so quickly!

I've viewed every race wothin a week of it being aired in one form or another.....impressive record I think!
Old 28 May 2004, 17:18 (Ref:986503)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As a young kid in the sixties, i had a couple of Corgi F1 cars, the Sharknose Ferari and a Lotus 25 and later a Cooper Maserati. In the statesin the 60's, F1 was prettty hard to follow, but my mom took me to see Grand Prix at the Cinerama in Providence and I was impressed , but the hook stillhadn't set. In '71, while visiting the library of my older sister's new College, I picked up a Road & Track and read Rob Walker's great account of Stewart's magnificent 1971 Monaco win. NOW I was hooked.

A year later, my Dad and I went to the Glen and I saw my first GP.
Old 28 May 2004, 17:29 (Ref:986519)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
my dad is a casual fan... who sometimes used to turn on the races when i was small... i too was a casual fan until i watched Senna Vs Mansell at Monaco... it was heart stopping stuff and that battle got me hooked to the sport..
Old 28 May 2004, 19:20 (Ref:986608)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first time I saw it, or even heard of it, was sometime back in the early 70's. It was shown on ABC's Wide World Of Sports here in the states. In those days, that show always had some off-beat, little known, foreign sports on, and one day while I was watching, they showed this thing called F1 racing, and the commentator was none other than Jackie Stewart, who just made it all so exciting, with his accent, plaid hat, and obvious passion for this thing called F1. All the drivers had cool sounding "foreign names", and the cars were simply gorgeous, and they raced in far off places, so I fell in love with it.

I watched it on and off since, but now I'm really hard-core, because I can now watch every race, practise and qualifying live on Speed Channel. Unfortunately, my man Jackie no longer does the races, but it's still very cool!

My first favorite driver was Clay Raggazoni. Don't really remember why though!

Danica Patrick
Old 28 May 2004, 22:33 (Ref:986747)   #9
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I got into F1 through my dad. Also most of my family are into motorsport, so it helps! The earliest season I remember is 1985. I remember Mansell's first win. At 5 years old it's one of my earliest memories! Start 'em young eh?

Quite early on I became the the fanatic that I am. So I've now overtaken my dad and now I supply him with all the latest news.

My allegiance since 1985 has been with Williams. Next year will be 20 years. That scares me a bit!

Last edited by Spudgun; 28 May 2004 at 22:35.
Old 28 May 2004, 22:35 (Ref:986750)   #10
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Caught the last half of the 1995 German Grand Prix. So my first race was a Schuey win (and I never saw Hill, out on lap one [I'm told]).

Was only partially aware of the sport before hand. Had used to watch Sierra Cossie era touring cars only a few years before.
Old 28 May 2004, 22:40 (Ref:986755)   #11
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As an addition, I was glad I was able to experience 'Mansell-Mania'. I was only 12, but now at 24 (half of my life ago ) I remember it like it was yeasterday. What the hell! I'm still living it!

Which is why I endear myself to Monty. He's more 'cool' off-track, but on it, he reminds me of the 'never say die' attidude that is 'red foive'.

Last edited by Spudgun; 28 May 2004 at 22:44.
Old 28 May 2004, 23:59 (Ref:986800)   #12
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first memory was watching some white and red cars taking eachother out in a chicane.. After that I was a big Prost fan. I also remember a Ferrari one two in Italy right after Enzo died, but I'm not sure if that was before or after the Prost/Senna thing (I was about 9 at the time I guess, and most of my car expirience had been watching my dad trying to get an Alfa Giulietta to stay in one piece) )
Old 29 May 2004, 00:56 (Ref:986832)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I was into touring cars in Australia thanks to the Bathurst 1000 and didnt know any other form of racing.

Until the F1 circus rolled into Adelaide.
1985 was the first race I saw I was about 11 at the time we had been out all day and late that night they showed a replay of the race. I was in bed pretending to be asleep and my older brother was sitting up watching the race , he snuck into my room got me out of bed and said I could watch race if I was very quite and didnt wake mum.

I Loved it

Havent missed a race since.
Old 29 May 2004, 01:18 (Ref:986844)   #14
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have this vague recollection of watching F1 races on TV in the mid sixties, when I was a boy. I developed strong enthousiasm for this Clark fellow and was devastated when, one night, already in my pyjamas, I heard Jimmy had died.

Around 1975 I went to spectate the Dutch GP and kept going to Zandvoort for other meetings as well. In 1978 I was invited to become a marshal. In my early years of marshalling I thought it was all about F1. Luckily I’ve discovered since long that F1 is just a part of motor racing and I’ve enjoyed all the other forms of motor racing since then.