Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 7 Dec 2000, 00:03 (Ref:51419)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Last year all the LMP Prototypes were square in front, although when you look at them from above, they are quite curvy and swishy. This year the Panoz and a few others are swishy in front too.

Is there a real reason to change from square to curvy or is this just a fashion statement? I admit I could not make out why they were so squared off as it did not look aerodynamic to me, but I really don't know.
Old 7 Dec 2000, 06:57 (Ref:51459)   #2
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

BMWRacerITS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is "swishy" a technical term?

In all seriousness, I can see what you are saying. The Cadillac is definitely "squared",and the Audi, while is has flowing lines, does have sharp edges. The BMW on the other hand doesn't seem to have a sharp edge on it.

I don't know what the explanation is. Depending on where they are placed, sharp edges can be more or less aerodynamic. A sharp leading edge cuts through the air and limits surface area that is perpendicular to the road. Rounded or "swishy" areas behind the leading edge allow the air to flow closer to the bodywork, allow the air to pass over the car quicker and limiting the size of the "hole" that the car must create in the air, reducing drag.

Obviously each team created the best shape that they could within the parameters that they must meet (i.e. engine fitment, rules about dimensions, etc.), some just end up looking better than the others. I personally really like the way the new Panoz looks, but whether you like it or not, it's obviouslt built as it is built for a purpose...to be the fastest Sportscar in the world.
Old 7 Dec 2000, 17:46 (Ref:51516)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And either it will be or Panoz will know why! (Do you think the term "batmobile" will stick to it?)

I admit that "swishy" isn't a technical term but I could not think of the proper one.
Old 7 Dec 2000, 19:05 (Ref:51526)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think so much of Aerodynamic Engineering is still a "black art", meaning it is still done by the eye of the designer. Most sports car teams do not have or use the extreme amount of wind tunnel testing that F1 does and they rely on real world, ie: the driver and trackside engineer, to determine what needs to be done. Thus you see whisker style front wing spoilers, various scoops and front splitter changes from track to track in an effort to keep up with their competition. In the case of the Cadillac, they sought a specific style of sharp edged and creased design that reflects upon Cadillac's road cars. The Audi uses some design cues from the TT coupe in the headlamp and taillamp profiles as well as its function over stylistic Bauhaus shape. The Panoz uses its new curvy shape to further set themselves apart from the near typical mid-engine competitors. Its funky organic design will most likely change some as speed is sought out. This creativity and freedom is one of sports car racing's strengths over more homogenized series like F1 and CART.
Old 7 Dec 2000, 23:47 (Ref:51565)   #5
Liz
Veteran

I know a lot of designers say "if it looks right it probably is right" that is, the best solution is usually an elegant solution. (This only holds true in atmosphere, of course). Only the BMWs seem to stay just the same from race to race, except for the paint jobs.

Do you think the Panoz 2001 car looks like the Saleen?
Old 12 Dec 2000, 16:54 (Ref:52094)   #6
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Due to use of wind tunnels and computers, racecar aerodynamics have become less intuitive. Many designs may look very unaerodynamic until you see them in a wind tunnel. I remember the first time I saw the Ford GT prototype in which Ken Miles was killed. I though there was no way that square backend could be aerodynamic. Soon all sports cars sprouted square sterns. Wings and downforce also complicated aerodynamics when they were introduced.