Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 8 Jun 2004, 07:17 (Ref:996932)   #1
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dirt on Dig' images

Understand its a problem that we all have at some point with dig' now-dirt/dust appearing on images. Understand you can clean the "contacts" or something...does anyone know how this can be done or is it a need for sending away to clean the camera? Any help would be great, Cheers, Baz
Old 8 Jun 2004, 14:33 (Ref:997352)   #2
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Dirt on Dig' images

Before each shoot/race I clean the sensor with compressed air (being careful not to shake the can of air allowing mositure to spot on the sensor). I also use the speck-grabber pro model made by Kinetronics for any spots that the air doesn't remove.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...67048875207626

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...cleaning.shtml

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

Other than that, if you have spots, it's photoshop time...

Martin
Old 8 Jun 2004, 21:24 (Ref:997793)   #3
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hugewally, thanks for your time for adding those ads'-now I know what I'm up against and hopefully what to do-Cheers!
Old 8 Jun 2004, 21:57 (Ref:997824)   #4
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
I normally try to clean the sensor the night before I head to the track. Once there it's the blown air before I do anything else. If I'm at a real dusty track like Laguna or Willow Springs, I'll also do a quick check and clean at lunch time too. Then in the evening at the motel, I'll go through the same process getting ready for the next day. Once you have the sensor clean, keeping to that schedule usually works just fine for me. When i do get any dust, it's only one or two specks to deal with in PS.

Good luck explaining the can of compressed air to the airlines... LOL

martin
Old 9 Jun 2004, 22:35 (Ref:999147)   #5
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
The Canon manual recomends not to use the cans due to moisture coming from them-have you had any probs with them?
Old 10 Jun 2004, 00:11 (Ref:999192)   #6
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
No... But you have to be careful not to shake them or hold them at an angle. As long as the can is upright, then all you get is clean air out of them. You can easily experiment with them on the bathroom mirror to see what happens...

Martin
Old 10 Jun 2004, 14:10 (Ref:999706)   #7
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Good thinking Batman-a can of air it will be!
Old 10 Jun 2004, 15:54 (Ref:999787)   #8
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
PS...where is LARGO????
Old 10 Jun 2004, 16:36 (Ref:999837)   #9
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Snapper Baz
PS...where is LARGO????
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?zo...an_x=0&pan_y=0

Last edited by Hugewally; 10 Jun 2004 at 16:37.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 19:04 (Ref:999998)   #10
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
You lucky devil! Clearwater is one of fave' places...passing through there in Oct'!!
Old 10 Jun 2004, 19:16 (Ref:1000007)   #11
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Look me up if you have the chance then...

Old 13 Jun 2004, 23:20 (Ref:1003004)   #12
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dang Martin, can you say obsessive compulsive?

I clean my sensors about twice a season. I just Pshop them there photos in the mean time.

Well, thats a little bit of an exaggeration, but I dont do it every day, let alone every event. Just when they start to get bad. I prefer to use a good sized bulb blower though and not compressed air. Easier to carry around and works just as well without any worry of damaging the sensor.

Gonna be at Mid O Mr. Huge?
Old 14 Jun 2004, 00:20 (Ref:1003028)   #13
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Originally posted by vwpilot
Dang Martin, can you say obsessive compulsive?

I clean my sensors about twice a season. I just Pshop them there photos in the mean time.

Gonna be at Mid O Mr. Huge?
Hey James, won't be at Mid-O as the day job is sending me away again to a foreign country so you can sleep safely at night... I do plan on being at Rd Am, Petit and Monterey though.

"obsessive compulsive?"... Wish I could say i never get crud on the sensor with all the lens swapping I do... Just after shooting at Willow Springs, Fontana, Laguna Phoenix & Sears Point (real dusty and windy tracks), I just got a little tired of having to do the extra PS work getting all the little buggers out. I mean heck, spend all night PS'ing (word?) or spend the night at Hooters drinking man-pops??? You know me and which that I'd rather do...

Kendela could never understand what i was talking about with cleaning the sensors and all the little buggers on it. That is until the drive up to the ALMS race at Rd America last year when he actually watched what i was doing on the laptop (no, not watching one of THOSE DVD's!!! ). Funny thing is, at Rd Am the Prodrive team had a big 13x19 hero card handout that overall looked nice. But when you looked at it closely, it was covered with black spots that weren't taken out in PS... Showed that to Ken and said, "That's why!!!!" His look was like the light bulb in the fridge going on without the door opening!

Sadly though, even with all my cleaning, every shot from the 2nd half of the race has a spot on the the size of Rhode Island!!!!

I've looked in PS and I don't think they have a rubber stamp that size to cover it up!!!

So, I like the air can instead of a blower as I know the air is clean...

Martin