Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Jun 2004, 11:23 (Ref:1006741)   #1
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Diesel thought's

Right , so we have seen our first LMP diesel car , the Taurus Motorsport's Lola B2k/10B . Im wondering what you think about it ?

I was completely disapointed with the sound of it and I also thought that a rule laid down by the ACO was that there should be "no visible emision's" !? There was certainly one dirty big black puff of soot out of the back of that beast exiting the Dunlop bridge and Tetre Rouge !!!

I really wouldn't mind if they never raced it again cuz I personally don't want to listen to a nice gearbox sound all night !!!

I appreciate the need to try new thing's and fuel formula's , but it sound's like it should belong on a daytona prototype

There's a good idea for DP's ..... go the diesel route and we can really hate them !!!

Last edited by The Badger; 17 Jun 2004 at 11:23.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1006755)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All credit to the team for trying to develop this.

They're not doing it on a huge budget either, so well done.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 11:35 (Ref:1006759)   #3
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Get ready to see more of them. Diesels seem to have a potential advantage. The Taurus-Cat did something like 17 laps between piut stops. Compare that to 12 for Audi during the heat of the day and 13 at night. I predict that the upcoming Audi R10 will be diesel powered.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 11:43 (Ref:1006769)   #4
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the team's first debut with the diesel block. I just wish you guys would give them a chance to prove themselves. That was nothing wrong with the engine itself, it's the gearbox that plagued the premature retirement.

As a race fan, it's always good to see new ideas (i.e. Nasamax) being put forward. Not to mention the team does not have a huge budget and backing like the big teams. Diesel does indeed have a potential to be competitive in the future.

I didn't see why you should care so much about visible pollution by diesel fumes. Every race cars smoke somehow under harsh acceleration.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1006788)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just what was with the top speed? i know the diesel unit only revs to 5500 max so top speed can be limited, however, are 7 speed gearboxes allowed? the need for a taller final gear is evident perhaps they could adjust it to go much quicker, it isn't as they don't have torque to spare anyway
DIESEL POWER!
Old 17 Jun 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1006789)   #6
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diesal car to win Le Mans overall within next 3/4 years. They have potential longevity and economy - all that's missing is the raw speed, which will come with manufacturer backing... IMHO, watch this space.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 11:54 (Ref:1006793)   #7
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It did leave smallish clouds of diesal smoke in the pits as well (i was almost just above their pits and it was easily noticeable).
Old 17 Jun 2004, 12:02 (Ref:1006799)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The current spec engine only has just over 500BHP, as they are looking for reliability at this stage in the engines development.

Once Cat/Taurus and Audi etc. get the diesals developed fully they will be the best engines to use at LM.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1006915)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by TerryC
This is the team's first debut with the diesel block. I just wish you guys would give them a chance to prove themselves.

I didn't see why you should care so much about visible pollution by diesel fumes. Every race cars smoke somehow under harsh acceleration.
Firstly I didnt slag anyone off , only the sound of it , and secondly I didnt write the rule about visible emisions or is this another example of the ACO not noticeing their own rules ?

Last edited by The Badger; 17 Jun 2004 at 13:22.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1007079)   #10
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Taurus Lola weighed over 1050kg at scutennering!! The other Judd Lola was close to 900... That's a problem to solve before thinking about winning. The Lola wasn't meant to carry intercoolers, and a 300+kg engine package doesn't make sense at the back of a 2000 chassis.

R9 for the FSI-turbo Audi LMP1 and R10 for the diesel one???
Old 17 Jun 2004, 17:30 (Ref:1007169)   #11
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too was disappointed by the outcome of this year's diesel effort at Le Mans. But don't confuse that with disappointment that they tried. I am STOKED about racing a diesel. In fact, my team and I are finalizing our plans to enter a diesel in the 25 Hours of Thunderhill here in Northern California. Our first choise is a sports racer, but the thought of 25 hours in December's typically cold and rainy weather has put off my co-drivers, so we are evaluating whether we will try to convert the car to a GTP-style.

Our fall-back is to run a VW Golf GTD...
Old 17 Jun 2004, 19:40 (Ref:1007311)   #12
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is the basic advantage of the diesel ? Consumption ? What is the main idea of Taurus racing for using a diesel ?
In any case the car will need more preparation for the next time.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1007390)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if a manufacturer can build a diesel to win le mans, they'll be able to write themselves a blank cheque with the resulting publicity. hence...its bound to happen, and probably from vag.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1007412)   #14
'70 Mach 1
Rookie

United States
Sacramento, CA. USA
'70 Mach 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dauntless
I too was disappointed by the outcome of this year's diesel effort at Le Mans. But don't confuse that with disappointment that they tried. I am STOKED about racing a diesel. In fact, my team and I are finalizing our plans to enter a diesel in the 25 Hours of Thunderhill here in Northern California. Our first choise is a sports racer, but the thought of 25 hours in December's typically cold and rainy weather has put off my co-drivers, so we are evaluating whether we will try to convert the car to a GTP-style.

Our fall-back is to run a VW Golf GTD...
Good luck with your plans, Dauntless. I'm planning to make it up to Thunderhill fo the 25 hours this year (as a spectator).... hope to see you there...
Old 17 Jun 2004, 22:44 (Ref:1007458)   #15
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the alternative fuels cars- remember we had the Panoz hybrid fail to prequalify once too- show the real difference between the ACO's rules and F1. Here we have organisers who are embracing the new technologies (or the improvements upon old ones ) in order to acheive what the 24hrs was all about - a test of endurance to show the public that the manufacturers know what they are doing. Little things, like demanding the lights be kept on all the time help too. Couple that with the GT classes being based on road cars really does show the connection between the world's greatest race and ordinary vehicles. ...not that I think motor racing needs that justification, it is beautiful in and of itself anyway.

And the aero rules look like a step in the right direction, the Nasamax was very quick in a straight line (according to RLM)which ain't bad for a vehicle based on something that put Reynard out of business.

Nice one ACO, see you next year!

Last edited by Osella; 17 Jun 2004 at 22:45.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 00:25 (Ref:1007478)   #16
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks, Mach1! I will be needing volunteer crew members if you're interested in a really intimate look at a 25 hour race...
Old 18 Jun 2004, 07:16 (Ref:1007598)   #17
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish Taurus the very best with their diesel effort. Well, it was curious the noise (or the lack of it...), but, will you tell, the audis´ noise is very low (and remember the callaway 2001? It was so silent..)
Of course, I would like some screaming judds with them also...
Old 18 Jun 2004, 07:47 (Ref:1007615)   #18
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VW and Peugeot are most likely to build works racing diesels I think. Add to this independent developers like Perkins, Ricardo, AVL, and companies in other segments of the diesel market, such as Caterpillar. Why Cat got behind this project, not the more promising Ricardo/Judd, is something I don't understand - perhaps it was the money required that put them off. But you don't get Le Mans success cheap.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 09:00 (Ref:1007653)   #19
someone
Rookie

someone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does anyone know if there were any CAT/Perkins badges on the car? I would have expected a fully CAT liveried up car as though they took naming rights in the team/car/engine...
Old 18 Jun 2004, 11:17 (Ref:1007770)   #20
pounetbf
Racer

pounetbf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dauntless
Thanks, Mach1! I will be needing volunteer crew members if you're interested in a really intimate look at a 25 hour race...
If you supply the flight tickets (and nothing else) I am volunteer !

and I am definitively not joking !
Old 18 Jun 2004, 11:21 (Ref:1007773)   #21
pounetbf
Racer

pounetbf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by someone
does anyone know if there were any CAT/Perkins badges on the car? I would have expected a fully CAT liveried up car as though they took naming rights in the team/car/engine...

There was small to medium CAT stickers on the car

Obviously this team was very poor, with a minimum budget.
probably the poorest look in the pits.

I have the feeling they have not even try to fix the gearbox.
I wonder if they had a spare one...
Old 18 Jun 2004, 11:57 (Ref:1007794)   #22
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The main problem appears to be clutch not gearbox, not man enough for the job it seems. It really needs a purpose built box rather than the regular box with a step up box in front of it (which is where some of the weight is coming from).
Old 18 Jun 2004, 12:18 (Ref:1007819)   #23
MorganFan
Rookie

MorganFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with the Taurus was (reportedly) that the clutch originally intended for the car, a carbon one to cope with the extra torque, failed before the race, possibly during qualifying, and a "standard" replacement had to be used, which so it seems was not up to the task of coping with the god-knows-how-much torque that the TD engine develops.

Also, from the interview that Ian Dawson gave to Autosport last week, it seems that the engine used, the VAG 5litre V10 TDI PD unit, was actually sourced direct from a road card, (Ian stated that he has a VW Touraug minus engine in his workshop!!), so I imagine there cannot have been too much in the way of "race preparation" on it. I'll stand corrected but I'm guessing that not too many Le Mans teams source their engines in this manner, so hats off to Taurus for such an innovative effort, on such a tiny budget, (circa £1m I believe, by comparison the Ricardo / Judd TD engine project was supposed to require something like £15m budget to make it viable).
Old 18 Jun 2004, 13:02 (Ref:1007864)   #24
djone101
Rookie

djone101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can assure everyone that every effort was made to fix the car, however MorganFan is correct the clutch was the issue. The car had several gearbox and clutch changes throughtout the event.

The team all worked very hard to acheive the 3 hours running that they did. This is the thin end of the Diesel wedge.......
Old 18 Jun 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1007877)   #25
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by djone101
I can assure everyone that every effort was made to fix the car, however MorganFan is correct the clutch was the issue. The car had several gearbox and clutch changes throughtout the event.

The team all worked very hard to acheive the 3 hours running that they did. This is the thin end of the Diesel wedge.......
Will the team concentrate on the diesal next year. It can't be cost effective running a Judd and VW diesal at the same time.

Maybe it would be better, at least initially, to concentrate on the diesal with a hybrid or totally new chassis.