Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 20 Dec 2000, 22:12 (Ref:53541)   #1
Jared
Racer

Jared should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Each year, when new Grand Prix cars are rolled out, they are faster than the previous cars (in most cases). Anyone know the percent decrease in lap times from year to year?

And if the cars were allowed to run without adhering to a minimum weight rule, and on the same tires, how much faster do you believe a new car is versus the older one?

Any responses would be appreciated.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 11:50 (Ref:53626)   #2
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Increase or decrease from laptimes from season to season is very regulation bound so it's hard to tell. Due to chassis and performance improvements they'd probably gain a few percent each year.

When there would be no minimum weight rule the MP4\15 for instance would weigh in at about 440 kg without driver and fuel. With driver and some fuel say 520 kg ... running on track mind you!

An indication how much slower F1 cars go when loaded with 80 kg extra is comparing the laptimes from the start of the race when they're fueled to the ones run in qualifying. That differs what? 2 seconds approx? That's about the same they would gain when run at their lightest compared the qualifying times I guess.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 13:40 (Ref:53642)   #3
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
wow no minimum weight rule!
that would be fun.
i reckon they would make them even lighter.

weight is the ememy of race cars.
F=ma
t=fd

so the less mass, the better the torque can be used up! put simply anyway.
Old 24 Dec 2000, 04:35 (Ref:54031)   #4
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

BMWRacerITS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only does lighter weight equal more power, but it also results in better braking and faster cornering speeds. Weight truly is the enemy of a race car.

As far as tires go. My guess is that the newest grooved tires probably perform nearly as well as the last slicks that F1 used. No doubt the tire manufacturers roll out a better product week to week just as the race teams do.
Old 27 Dec 2000, 22:06 (Ref:54476)   #5
Jared
Racer

Jared should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys for your replys. What I'm trying to ask is (I sometimes have a hard time putting thoughts into words): If F1 were to disregard the minimum-weight rule, could a year-old car get onto the grid of an F1 race? Where would it qualify/finish?

The reason I threw in the disregarding the weight rule is because cars get lighter and lighter all the time, and if they threw out that rule, the next years cars would be lighter and have a performance advantage.