Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Aug 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1054197)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ALMS Mosport Qualifying Format

Apparently, the qualifying method used at Sears Point was not a "one-shot" deal....

In an IMSA Competition Bulletin dated July 29, the same format that was used at Infineon will be used this weekend at Mosport....

Thus the cars will take the track from slowest practice time to fastest, with a one warm-up lap, two qualifying lap, and one cool-off lap format...

no more than 5 cars will be on the track at one time....

So they must have seen something that they liked when they did this a few weeks ago....

Your thoughts?

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Aug 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1054204)   #2
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IMHO i would rather see all cars on track at once , searching for clear laps and taking risks, but i can also see the appeal of balls out clear laps 1 car at a time.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 19:53 (Ref:1054338)   #3
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it screws the goodyear guys pretty good...but thats ok, their car usually does a good enough job of it in the race...

If I could watch it on TV it would be cool, i like F1 qualifying just because you learn so much from the commentators during the show and see some impressive driving...
Old 2 Aug 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1054370)   #4
Shady#30
Rookie

Shady#30 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they should have it on tv as well, especially since its the weekends where CBS is televising the race that seem to feature the new qualifying format. Ehh well wishful thinking aside, its very unlikely.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 03:18 (Ref:1054617)   #5
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get me started. read my interview with Terry Bocheller about his opinion about this format.. and I share it.

Oh wait... I'm not allowed to have an opinion.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 3 Aug 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1055093)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
Don't get me started. read my interview with Terry Bocheller about his opinion about this format.. and I share it.

Oh wait... I'm not allowed to have an opinion.

Why aren't you allowed to have an opinion, Mags????

Journalists are allowed to have an opiniion....as long as it is an "editorial," a "commentary," or an "analysis"....

I would consider that a "commentary" or an "analysis"....

Old 3 Aug 2004, 15:29 (Ref:1055211)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I certainly don't envy you Mags. I wouldn't want the lable of "jounralist" as I was prowling around a message board. If it were me I'd be more anonymous. But then again, I happen to feel that there is too much bias in the media these days, so my opinion should come as no surprise.

On topic. I don't understand the need for this qualifying format if they are NOT televising it. What's the point?
Old 3 Aug 2004, 15:30 (Ref:1055212)   #8
hindy
Racer

hindy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhindy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not televlsing it at the moment....

would make a nice package for a sponsor though don't you think?

Last edited by hindy; 3 Aug 2004 at 15:31.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1055216)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
I certainly don't envy you Mags. I wouldn't want the lable of "jounralist" as I was prowling around a message board. If it were me I'd be more anonymous. But then again, I happen to feel that there is too much bias in the media these days, so my opinion should come as no surprise.

On topic. I don't understand the need for this qualifying format if they are NOT televising it. What's the point?

But they do cover qualifying on Radio Le Mans or Radio ALMS, don't they???

Thus the sponsors and the teams are spotlighted when they make their run on the rack....

It also makes the fans who are at the event aware of who is qualifying, etc., which in turn puts the focus on the team, the car and thus the sponsor's name, logo, etc. on the car itself...

Anything the Series can do to help teams secure sponsors via more exposure via radio broadcasts of qualifying or among the fans at the sessions, I say go for it...

Old 3 Aug 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1055224)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good point Tim. I forgot about the radio broadcasts. And I do also agree it gives more exposure at the track as well.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 08:49 (Ref:1055878)   #11
hindy
Racer

hindy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhindy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ALMS Radio Network covers all ALMS sessions on the track and broadcasts them via scanner freq 454.000, over the PA and also on any local FM/AM broadcasts at the track.

In addition, the Qualifying sessions (in whatever format)plus the build-up and the whole race, post race interviews are braodcast live on the Internet via www.radiolemans.com

IMSA timing and scoring also available for all sessions.

Enjoy

John
Old 4 Aug 2004, 12:02 (Ref:1056060)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't seen it yet so can't comment. But I do like the commentary they have on the F1 qualifying, pointing out what each driver does differently on each lap and how they take different lines etc.

But then I really don't think qualifying is important in sports car racing, although it is fun to watch. In F1 it's the entire race; if you have seen qualifying, you have seen the race. But throw the mix of cars out there that you get in sports cars, and the entire ball game changes.

If you want to know what I think after I've seen the qualifying, come to www.rfmsports.com and read my qualifying report ...
Old 4 Aug 2004, 12:31 (Ref:1056094)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely that should be your qualifying analysis?
Old 4 Aug 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1056193)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
As we talk about this new format, keep in mind that although the ALMS currently does not have TV coverage of qualifying (and "Currently" is the key word here)....

Wouldn't it make perfect sense to establish a format like this so that you could have the CBS Sports producers and decision-makers actually "Watch" something concrete that they can evaluate and consider for "future" TV coverage of ALMS qualifying????

After all, you can explain something until you're blue in the face....
but to observe it, guage crowd reaction to the sessions, and to get a feel for what is taking place is the best way to sell a concept...

Seeing is Believing!!!!

But you can't demonstrate a new concept for TV coverage of Quals if you don't put a proper system in place....

They don't have TV coverage of qualifying....YET....

I think that this is part of the plan to land a TV package or show to cover qualifying in the future....

and if they are doing for this reason, the ALMS has shown me yet again that they are ahead of the curve and are smart when it comes to running a racing series...

Old 4 Aug 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1056195)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW....

I used CBS as my example, because...

Surprise!!!

The two races where they have used this qualifying method (Sears Point and now Mosport) are both televised by CBS Sports...

Coincidence????

No Way!!!

This is the PLAN......

Old 4 Aug 2004, 15:06 (Ref:1056228)   #16
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I also noticed the coincidence with CBS Tim. BUT...ABC doesn't cover any of the IRL's qualifying with the exception of Indy. NBC and FOX do not show network coverage of NASCAR qualifying. Qualifying is not currently a regular part of any of the network's TV packages. Now SPEED does (thankfully) cover qualifying for NASCAR and F1. So I'm still not convinced that this is destined for network TV. Maybe as a bit 5-minute piece during the race coverage at best.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 15:24 (Ref:1056242)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
I also noticed the coincidence with CBS Tim. BUT...ABC doesn't cover any of the IRL's qualifying with the exception of Indy. NBC and FOX do not show network coverage of NASCAR qualifying. Qualifying is not currently a regular part of any of the network's TV packages. Now SPEED does (thankfully) cover qualifying for NASCAR and F1. So I'm still not convinced that this is destined for network TV. Maybe as a bit 5-minute piece during the race coverage at best.
Summer sports programming is difficult to come by....if the pitch is right, it could work...

I do agree with your assessment concerning the networks, jhansen, but do keep my point above in mind....

and even if CBS does not go for it, their other half of the package is with none other than Speed Channel...

I wouldn't be surprised if we would see this format surface as well at one of their televised events....

Even if it would be a taped "show" and not "live"....the elements are in place that make the format well-suited to TV...which in turn would help the teams and the Series secure sponsors.....

I see only "upsides" to adopting this type of format....

We've already talked about the benefits for exposure and such....

But it also gives teams an opportunity to qualify at their fastest by giving them a shot at two clean laps...

It also eliminates the whining about being blocked, blah, blah, blah, that we always hear as well...

I'm sure that some drivers will not like it...

but the upsides greatly outweigh any downsides from using this qualifying method...

and like I said before, you can't land coverage of qualifying if you don't have a format that is suitable for TV in place...and group qualifying is not as suitable as this new method for telecasts of the event.....

Old 4 Aug 2004, 15:36 (Ref:1056247)   #18
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I totally agree that this format is made for TV. That wasn't my dispute. And I also agree that it could wind up on SPEED's coverage. In fact that is where I expect it. And true again, the format has a lot of upsides.

My point was that it is very unlikely that CBS will air this coverage. They've already kept the ALMS coverage to 2 hours, even though the races are 2 hours and 45 minutes in length. As I suggested it may show up as a bit piece during their 2 hour coverage. If NBC or FOX do not air NASCAR qualifying coverage then why would CBS air the ALMS format? NASCAR is far more popular (unfortunately) and those two networks choose not to do it.

I may be proved wrong, but I just don't see CBS dedicating much more than say five minutes to ALMS qualifying. They're not even covering the full race.

Last edited by jhansen; 4 Aug 2004 at 15:37.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1056249)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW....

I did read the RFM story on the ACEMCO team and their drivers, and particularly their thoughts on the new qualifying method...

A Simple "Scoreboard" posting would work just fine....or listing the driver, his/her speed and the place in which they occupy....followed by periodic rundowns....

The track's PA announcers must assist by doing the same...when a driver finishes his/her two laps, stating the car & Driver, the best time & speed, and where that falls on the grid solves that issue...

and if any of them need lessons, just send them to Indy in May...Tom Carnegie wrote the book on how to do it....and no matter where you sit in the facility, you know where a guy qualified...because HE tells you....

Got news for both drivers....the fans don't really know who qualified where with the "traditional system" unless they are wearing race scanners and headphones, or listening to a radio broadcast....

Tracking one car as it runs two laps and getting the times that they ran would make it "easier" to follow for the fans if they simply use a scoresheet or write the times down on paper....

So with all due respect to Mr. Mowlem and to Mr. Borcheller, this should work well...

Maybe it will be done as described above this weekend at Mosport...

Old 4 Aug 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1056251)   #20
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Not to split hairs, but I found it rather simple to follow qualifying at Laguna Seca last year. But they have a large scoring pilon (ala Indy) that posts the order as it changes. However, having said that, no times were listed. And where we were sitting we couldn't hear the PA system anyways.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 15:44 (Ref:1056252)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Whether it is televised on CBS or Speed Channel is not as important as creating the format that is suited to be televised in my book....

and if you don't have a format worth pitching, you'll never get quals televised...

I agree with you that a network might not go for it....but without the format, it is guaranteed not to ever be televised...

Old 4 Aug 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1056259)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Not to split hairs, but I found it rather simple to follow qualifying at Laguna Seca last year. But they have a large scoring pilon (ala Indy) that posts the order as it changes. However, having said that, no times were listed. And where we were sitting we couldn't hear the PA system anyways.

Whether it is a pylon, a board that lists the field by car numbers, whatever.....

I'm a gearhead like you, jhansen, so I can follow what is cgoing on around the circuit during qualifying...

It's not really rocket science to figure out where cars are in the qualifying...as long as the track, the announcer or the Series provides the means to convey it to the fans...

BTW...Tom Carnegie repeats the results so that if a car is going by when he says it the 1st time, you'll hear it again another time...

Old 4 Aug 2004, 16:46 (Ref:1056304)   #23
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had that problem when I went to Fontana -- the Pylon was too far away for me to see it and the track announcement was garbled. But I can tell which car is where on the grid because of the lights, and because I know where those cars generally fall in the running order. So I wouldn't be the best judge of which system is the best, only the judge of which system I happen to like the best.

It may come up during the Fan Forum if that is held after qualifying though.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 18:35 (Ref:1056401)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I'd be interested in knowing what the fans who are there think of it...and also the teams...

From Mags' interview with Mr. Mowlem, they seemd to feel that the results on the track weren't being communicated well, and thus the people they knew weren't sure about who was running how well...

Those kinds of problems can be fixed....

Of course, I'm used to going to a place where they spent about $850,000 on a sound system with delays so that there is no echo, etc., and the sound is crystal clear....

Most venues don't have that kind of cash to drop on a PA system...

But there are ways to communicate who qualified where...at big venues, it is a matter of having well-placed elctronic scoreboards that are not that expensive that can serve mound areas and whatever granstands are available....

Liz:

Will you be at Mosport this weekend???

I'm interested in knowing what you do think of the new qualifying format there...

Thanks!

Old 4 Aug 2004, 20:12 (Ref:1056481)   #25
Liz
Veteran

Yes, I will be at Mosport, at Corner 2 as usual -- and will be taking notes at qualifying (as well as doing six interviews at some time during the weekend!)

I will ask a selection of the more sober beings of Corner 2 Racing what they thought of the qualifying, too, and anyone else who happens to drop by with an opinion. I'd like to get a variety of viewpoints.

Last edited by Liz; 4 Aug 2004 at 20:12.