Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Sep 2004, 16:11 (Ref:1105109)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
News Conference Today at Petit -- New manufacturer for 2005 & teams

I saw this in the Paddock section of the ALMS site today...

At 5:30 P.M. today (Thursday), a manufacturer will be announced that will compete in the ALMS in 2005, and the teams that will compete in those cars also will be introduced at that time...

Is this the formal intro of Aston Martin???

Is it the formal Mazda event??? (but I thought they were 2006???)

Is it someone out of the blue, and we'll all be surprised???

Anyone have an "inside" idea on who it will be???

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 23 Sep 2004 at 16:12.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Sep 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1105125)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmmm
Old 23 Sep 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1105147)   #3
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesting, i thought that mazda's announcement was going to come at Laguna, being that the track is called Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca...

maybe this is the announcement of the Aston Martin program, fingers crossed!!!
Old 23 Sep 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1105208)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would make sense for Mazda to do it at Mazda Raceway...

But also consider that there has to be a TON of auto racing media at Petit LM this week....

They'll get the biggest "Bang for the Buck" out of the earned media side of this by doing it at Road Atlanta...

Of course, it might not be either one.....

How about the announcement of a "Porsche LMP?"

or a possible deal that Lucchini or Courage has cut with a team or teams over here to be their "partners" in a North American operation to distribute their LMP2s??

Or it could be Zytek...announcing their customers here in the USA for 2005, and their first foray into the ALMS for a full season???

How about Nissan???

My bet would be Aston Martin or Mazda....

But I'm not a betting man...I work too hard for my money....

It'll be interesting to see who it actually is, and which teams will run the chassis that they will enter in 2005....

Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1105273)   #5
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
odds are its something we have heard about.

The introducing the teams that will be running them is interesting though!
Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:26 (Ref:1105283)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is all very interesting. I have had an e-mail from the ALMS Media Office saying that there will be a press confrance at 5.30 easten, where there will be "ANNOUNCEMENT OF A NEW CHASSIS MANUFACTURER AND NEW RACING TEAMS FOR THE 2005 AMERICAN LE MANS SERIES"....
Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:36 (Ref:1105294)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
This is all very interesting. I have had an e-mail from the ALMS Media Office saying that there will be a press confrance at 5.30 easten, where there will be "ANNOUNCEMENT OF A NEW CHASSIS MANUFACTURER AND NEW RACING TEAMS FOR THE 2005 AMERICAN LE MANS SERIES"....

That's why the thread was started....I read a brief notice in the "Paddock" section of the ALMS website this morning....

and I do agree with Billnchristy....it is probably something we are already aware of....

But until they announce it, we won't really know....

The rumored Porsche LMP being announced would be a bombshell....

but that one would be hard to keep this quiet....someone would have seen or heard something on it if it were that kind of announcement...

Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:36 (Ref:1105296)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW....

That's a little less than 2 hours from now....the news conference...

Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:39 (Ref:1105300)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New chassis -> not new car manufacturer?

My guess is that it's an American chassisbuilder.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:44 (Ref:1105309)   #10
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Are Audi going to confirm the R9 for next year........?
Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1105311)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins

My guess is that it's an American chassisbuilder.

Nice catch, paul-collins!!!!

The word "Chassis" really does place a specific meaning to it...

Now.....who is it???

Panhard???

Maybe Riley has someone who has commissioned a chassis???

My guess would be the former....

We've been hearing about that LMP2 for a while now....maybe it has come to fruition...

and others come to mind that might have a chassis in the works???

Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1105313)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My guess is that it will be related to either the Zytek, Courage C65, new Lola, or Luccini chassis choices and what teams may run them.

Although, there are other rumours as well.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:49 (Ref:1105319)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I don't think it is Audi....

and come to think of it, based on the statement, it is not Porsche...

because it says a "New Chassis manufacturer and new racing teams coming to the 2005 American Le Mans Season"

Audi and Porsche have been mainstays in the series...

The notice says it is a new player that's getting into the game...

Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:52 (Ref:1105322)   #14
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is the schedule due today too, or is that tomorrow?
Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:53 (Ref:1105325)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
My guess is that it will be related to either the Zytek, Courage C65, new Lola, or Luccini chassis choices and what teams may run them.

Although, there are other rumours as well.

I could agree with Zytek, Courage or Zucchini...I mean Lucchini

They have not had a major presence in the Series before...

Like Audi and Porsche, Lola also has been a mainstay....

so I don't think it is the revelation of the teams running their new LMP2...

So....

Exactly what ARE those "other rumors as well," jhansen????

Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:56 (Ref:1105326)   #16
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Here's the exact quote from the ALMS site.

"A press conference will be held at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday in the media center to announce a new chassis manufacturer for the American Le Mans Series and some new teams that will race with the new chassis in 2005."

I suppose it comes down to symantics. I don't read it to say that it's a new builder with no history in the series. Just a new chassis. And I don't believe it's a manufacturer like Porsche, Mazda, or Audi. Audi and Porsche would probably make their own announcements on their own terms. I doubt that it's Aston Martin as I thought we heard they'd only run Sebring and Petit next year and focus on FIA GT.

Anyways, we will all either be proved right or wrong soon enough.

Tim: Can't divulge specifics. Don't want to lose my source you know! It would be a shock to many though.

Last edited by jhansen; 23 Sep 2004 at 20:00.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:57 (Ref:1105327)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy
is the schedule due today too, or is that tomorrow?

Tomorrow....11:30 a.m. Atlanta time....as part of the "State of the Series" news Conference...

That's when we find out where and when the races will be....

and most important, what they have slotted in that gap between Sebring and the LM Test Days...

Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:58 (Ref:1105329)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schedule is due tomorrow, Bill.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Sep 2004, 19:59 (Ref:1105330)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I'm not playing semantics, and I don't think they are, either...

It says "New Chassis Manufacturer"....

That seems pretty clear to me....

That also would seem to read that it is a new player in the game...and not an existing supplier of racecars that currently compete in the ALMS....

But we'll all find out in about 90 minutes to 2 hours from now....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 23 Sep 2004 at 20:01.

Old 23 Sep 2004, 20:12 (Ref:1105340)   #20
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Well my thoughts are chassis builder, not manufacturer.

I read it to mean new to the series, but jhansen is suggesting he knows something, and is inferring that they might not be new to the series completly.

I had wondered about Van Diemen (Reynard), G-Force, Panhard. Though in this light, one thinks Riley & Scott, Dallara, Fabcar.

I believe that the wording of this is such that they are not someone who has been involved with the ALMS this year, so scratch Pilbeam, Lola...

The other interesting part is new teamS. As in multiple new teams to the series.

Will anyone get any work done waiting for this?
Old 23 Sep 2004, 20:19 (Ref:1105345)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I sure as Hell won't....

and haven't now ever since I saw that notice on the ALMS site...

Now, here' is a question:

Since it is happening at 5:30 p.m. on the East Coast in the USA...

Could there be an actual announcement in the hands of some of our overseas journalists...with an "embargo" for releasing the news midnight tonight in Europe???

I know that none of our journalistic Forum members would DARE answer that one on a public Forum....all of them are too ethical for that...

But being a PR guy who has worked with international media...it is a common practice to do so.....send something like this out in advance with an embargo on it so that writers can prepare their stories and everyone can have an opportunity to hit their deadlines, etc...

Thus, it is likely that some Forum members already know the news....

But their professional standards would prevent them from sharing it with us for a couple of hours....

Must be nice to know this news....but we'll all get it soon enough....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 23 Sep 2004 at 20:20.

Old 23 Sep 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1105347)   #22
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The Overseas journalists don't know yet, and they've been candid in saying that they are as suprised as us.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 20:22 (Ref:1105348)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
The Overseas journalists don't know yet, and they've been candid in saying that they are as suprised as us.

Then someone did one heck of a good job at keeping a tight lid on this one....

because the buzz in the biz would otherwise have at least given them some hints....

Old 23 Sep 2004, 20:44 (Ref:1105365)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Posted by Fogelhund:

"had wondered about Van Diemen (Reynard), G-Force, Panhard. Though in this light, one thinks Riley & Scott, Dallara, Fabcar."

Those are excellent observations, Fogelhund....

Remeber last spring, when our own "Mulsanne Mike" joined the G-Force staff as a member of their "North American Aerodynamics and Design" program????

Makes you wonder if he is doing more than the IRL's road course package for G-Force, doesn't it????

Is this how "Rumors" get started???

My wife is really good at that...now I'm doing it...

Scary indeed...

BTW...

I just realized that at 4:30 Indiana Time that I will be leaving the office to go coach football practice....

DAMN!!!!!

Maybe the ALMS, or the "Faithful Forum" members here will post something before 5 p.m., when I get home to change before heading to the field...(fingers crossed...hint)

Because tnot knowing this news until later on this evening is going to kill me....

Old 23 Sep 2004, 20:56 (Ref:1105379)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Maybe....

It's Kudzu....

(just kidding)....

35 minutes and ticking....