Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 24 Sep 2004, 00:23 (Ref:1105546)   #1
Pug620
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Pug620 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Radar units

Has any used a road angel or radar detectors as i am looking to buy one but dont want to spend £300 if they are ****.

marty
Old 24 Sep 2004, 08:49 (Ref:1105722)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A pure radar detector is worthless in the UK, as they are designed originally in the States where the Police operate differently (their cars constantly 'broadcast' radar signals), in the UK if it goes off then you've been zapped by the gun. Anyway, when did you last see a traffic police car doing speed checks?

The GPS Gatso 'detectors' are much more useful, especially if you travel on different unfamiliar routes. Whether the £300 cost is VFM is up to you to decide.

Another choice is a PDA based gps system where you can combine sat-nav and gatso spotting in one.
Old 24 Sep 2004, 18:48 (Ref:1106156)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have a look at this thread from a few weeks ago...

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=58280
Old 25 Sep 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1106573)   #4
MG ZS 180
Rookie

MG ZS 180 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought a snooper s4 neo in the end, at quite a discount to the list price (list £379, paid £299). No one is discounting the road angel (list £399). In the end they both work off a GPS database so it's down more to how up to date the respective companies databases are.

It has "spotted" the cameras I have driven past, but I would have seen them all without it. When the dark nights come and visibility is reduced I'm sure its going to be a big help.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 18:04 (Ref:1107521)   #5
Pug620
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Pug620 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bought the road angel will let you know how it goes

Oh and the new one do tell when you are being checked by laser.

Cheers

Marty
Old 22 Oct 2004, 00:43 (Ref:1131295)   #6
sjw75
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
sjw75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought a "cheap" snooper about two years ago, It didnt stay in the car very long, everything set if off, traffic lights, automatic doors at Asda, very difficult to trust it !! The newer GPS type detectors are meant to be much better though.

Simon.

Team circuitmarshal "In-out round and round"
Old 25 Oct 2004, 00:04 (Ref:1134378)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I have what's now called a Classic Road Angel - less expensive than the new one, and readily available on eBay.

The laser alert is separate, but just sticks to the centre of the screen with a suction pad and connects to the road angel by a simple lead. It works, too. It has 'alerted' me on a couple of occasions when my car was being pinged by a speed gun. Once from the roadside and once from a bridge over the motorway.

I like the simple digital speedo, too, and you can convert it to km/h when you're in Europe, which is handy.

The only thing it won't pick up is a kind of portable Gatso that can be stuck on a tripod by the side of the road. I think the Origin b2 can deal with those, but they are more complicated to fit and then become semi-permanent.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 15:36 (Ref:1139039)   #8
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to have a Quintezz (or something like that), and the only thing it did was beep when I was approaching petrol stations. Absolute worthless piece of electronics. I was glad when it got stolen out of the vehicle.

Poor ******* who will use it again