Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Nov 2004, 05:41 (Ref:1152205)   #1
SubieKid
Rookie

SubieKid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rain in the cockpit?

Hey, new here, and I'm working on a project involving formula one. While learning about the cockpit (great explanation on the site!) I found myself wondering about what happens to rain when it makes its way into the cockpit. Now, I've seen a formula car up close and never noticed any sort of drainage holes, so where does it go? This is assuming they don't simply let it pool in the car, but I would think that the last thing the team wants to explain is why thier driver drowned during the race. I'd appreciate any explanations, and I'm sorry if this is WTLW, I ran a search before posting.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 07:36 (Ref:1152235)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to our friendly forum SubieKid.

Good question and one I can't answer categorically but from my experience (many years ago) in FFord you got wet when travelling slowly and you got wet when turning a corner because the water was thrown back into your face. However once on the move you dried out because the rain was carried over and around the car.

And the water you were sitting in soon got warm from your own body heat.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1152307)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome to the forum SubieKid.

To be honest I'm not all that sure but I think in an F1 car you have a vacuum affect because drivers get very hot in their cars but the cold air doesn’t enter the cockpit because F1 cars aerodynamics are not designed to create turbulence.
I would think it's the same with rain.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 12:08 (Ref:1152364)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it was raining so hard that a car could fill up with water, they'd stop the race - it would me a monsoon!
Old 13 Nov 2004, 12:15 (Ref:1152371)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know if it's the same for F1 but in wet racing in karting if it's raining to hard the engines userly fill up with water and affectively cut out.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 12:21 (Ref:1152373)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember Gerhard Berger retiring from a race because of water in the spark plugs.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1152380)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I think it's less off an issue in F1 because the engine and all the parts are covered up but they can still get in through the radiators.
Where as in karting the engine and components are on display userly in pit stops in endurance races in the wet we userly tip the kart up and let all of the trapped water out.

But obviously it's less of an issue in F1.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 13:53 (Ref:1152432)   #8
npperk
Rookie

npperk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by luke
Where as in karting the engine and components are on display userly in pit stops in endurance races in the wet we userly tip the kart up and let all of the trapped water out.
When I start seeing F1 cars being tipped over by teams to empty water from the engine etc., then I know the world really has gone mad.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 13:57 (Ref:1152437)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Try lifting 600+kg.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 15:25 (Ref:1152482)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
You wouldn't get any rain in the cockpit except when the car is stationary, which during a race is minimal. When they wait on the grid they have someone to hold an umbrella over the driver and cockpit.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 15:41 (Ref:1152484)   #11
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two weird years in Formula Ford in the UK and I never had a problem with rain in the cockpit, and it rained all the ****ing time. I must admit I had never thought about why my cockpit didnt fill up until now! Guess there are more important implications regarding rain and crashing to my death etc..

Obviously an F1 car is going to have a different cockpit but I would say the speed they go it would have to rain not just in drops but for the whole sky to be one eternal giant God-raindrop for it to be a problem.

Hope that helps?! You can quote that last bit if you want for your project.. You'll fail as a result but the offer is extended.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 18:22 (Ref:1152577)   #12
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive seen Nick Heidfeld driving with a rain coat in F3 testing

Last edited by flor; 13 Nov 2004 at 18:22.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 18:29 (Ref:1152581)   #13
SubieKid
Rookie

SubieKid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, I wonder what the team's faces would look like if you ask them...

Well, thanks for all your help guys, I think I've got enough info to explain the effect now.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 18:32 (Ref:1152588)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by flor
ive seen Nick Heidfeld driving with a rain coat in F3 testing
I hope it was fireproof
Old 13 Nov 2004, 18:59 (Ref:1152605)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yeah but even waterproofs are no good you still get soaked.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 20:50 (Ref:1152675)   #16
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if rain did get on the seat, making the driver's arse wet, the heat from the engine would soon dry it out.

Schumi once commented that he'd pee his pants (you try and hold it thru a 4g turn!)and it was no big deal because he'd soon be dry from the heat.
Old 14 Nov 2004, 08:10 (Ref:1152989)   #17
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Irvine did a dump once. Fantastic!
Old 14 Nov 2004, 10:57 (Ref:1153091)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Thank you for puting me off my breakfast.

Last edited by luke; 14 Nov 2004 at 10:57.
Old 14 Nov 2004, 13:02 (Ref:1153187)   #19
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
Irvine did a dump once. Fantastic!
I assume you mean he dumped the clutch. :confused:
Old 14 Nov 2004, 13:20 (Ref:1153199)   #20
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Of course. I don't want to be sued. I meant after the race anyway.