Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KK to appear on WT

From WhoWon.com:
Quote:
Just after closing the deal on the purchase of Cosworth Racing with fellow Champ Car World Series co-owner Gerald Forsythe in London, series co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven will come back to the states and be live on SPEED Channel this Thursday at 10 p.m. ET as a guest of the popular Wind Tunnel program.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 06:11 (Ref:1155662)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Certainly this'll be worth watching. I just hope that I don't forget to set my VCR. (And to set its clock from Daylight Savings - That's why I missed half of the Mexico City race!)

Last edited by macdaddy; 17 Nov 2004 at 06:12.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 01:49 (Ref:1157607)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
One hour and fifteen minutes to go until WT starts. I can't wait to hear what KK has to say.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 02:34 (Ref:1157616)   #4
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the time update Dov, all I knew was it was on Friday afternoon local time here. Yeah I very interested in the first one on one interview since buying Cosworth, should be good.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 04:23 (Ref:1157658)   #5
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
* KK said that a couple of keys to turning around a struggling company is that it must have a good product, a strong/loyal fan base and the CCWS have both.

* He's not 100% sure what the future engine specs will be, but he really likes the V8 Turbos running at 12000 RPM.

* The CCWS will make there own decision as to which engine manufacturers they will use in 2006 and beyond. They will use the Cossies in '05 and possibly longer, but in case OWRS/CCWS runs into problems with other manufacturers in the future then at least they have the luxury of the Cosworths to fall back on.

* Future chassis will be lighter and more nimble, however they will have to remain strong enough in order for them to tackle road, street, airport and oval circuits.

* Jimmy Vasser will be back next season driving for PKVR. KK also said that they would like to bring a driver up from Toyota Atlantics and bring in a driver who is well known to the fans.

* Kalkhoven mentioned that it wasn't their fault (OWRS) that they had to leave Vancouver off the 2005 schedule.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 04:50 (Ref:1157675)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the question Despain asked regarding PKVR lineup for next year, he mentioned that Robin Miller (who was too sick to come on the show) said that in the recent test Dalziel wiped the floor with Wirdheim! I think the mention of wanting to have "someone from Atlantics" means Dalziel. An opportunity to be teamed with Jimmy is something a young driver would not want to pass up. After all he's been through, Fogarty has to be kicking himself that he's commited to Grand Am. KK also said that Jim McGee is on board at PKVR, which I wasn't aware of.

Interesting that KK's business experience is in turning companies around. I suppose that must have come out before, but I'd forgotten it. Perhaps it explains why in that recently posted Globe and Mail article the writer says KK is steering the ship of CC.

One thing that was interesting is that KK achknowledged without probing that the "quality of the product" is not quiet where it needs to be.

One thing I get from hearing KK speak is that he fills me with a lot more confidence than PG. For one we heard no ridiculous claims and he was very down to earth.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 05:19 (Ref:1157690)   #7
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
One thing I get from hearing KK speak is that he fills me with a lot more confidence than PG.
You said it Snrub. Kalkhoven's the businessman, Forsythe has a passion for racing, and PG?...well I guess every series needs a mouthpiece.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1157752)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Just finished watching what was a great interview.

What didn't they discuss? They touched upon ChampCar, Cosworth, the business models of each and relationship between the two, future engine suppliers, badging, international races, Korean sponsors, Penske's unification talks, the 2006 chassis, event promotion...

He hinted at running three cars next year. He hinted at Dalziel. He also hinted at a driver with an "already recognizable name".

He was also clearly stating how much he would personally love to keep the turbo V8's!

And he verified that Jim McGee is back!

Look for Vasser to win at least once in his final season!
Old 19 Nov 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1157978)   #9
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that after watching that interview I personally feel very comfortable with the future of Champ Car.
Interesting to note that KK races a Radical occasionally in SCCA events.http://www.tcdesignfab.com/Radical.htm
He's a racer and a smart businessman.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Nov 2004, 12:19 (Ref:1157994)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the most interesting piece was the mentionf of well, really it was all telling...
first Kalkhoven is a racer! yeah so he loves it, secondly he loves the Turbo- it is unique in open wheel THESE days,
the supposed "merger talks" well we know Penske was the intermediary on behalf of Whom? or what party?
as they all gathered TG, KK and Penske about merger- KK revealed that they were negotiating the merger through the "unfavorable terms of Surrender"!!!!!!!!
no merger a cheap buyout!
well we certainly hope all goes well and Champcar continues its successes and upward swing KK is a man witha vision and it seems he has replaced Gentilozzi as the talker, he was like the Champcar Jesus bringing it salvation (no offense anyone)
Old 19 Nov 2004, 13:48 (Ref:1158110)   #11
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
He hinted at running three cars next year. He hinted at Dalziel. He also hinted at a driver with an "already recognizable name".
I haven't seen the interview yet and maybe this is just wishful thinking, but could the driver with the already recognizable name be Cristiano???
Old 19 Nov 2004, 16:26 (Ref:1158317)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't know what the heck a Radical was until seeing that link. I had seen those things before (not in person). Very interesting.

I really wonder, was KK's control not the plan from the beginning? Think about it, Pollock was on board last season to make KK's team seem viable and probably to a certain extent set it up for him. Then through the whole series purchase and through the season they made it seem like PG was the guy calling the shots, Forsythe the behind the scenes guy and the money and KK was sort of the "also there". I think the intent was to build confidence in the organization. A lot of questions would have been asked if it was understood this time last year that "KK is steering the ship." Waiting a while before changing the public perception gave KK a reputation.

KK also said that he has little impact on the day to day running of the team.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1159187)   #13
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With all I've read and heard this last week, I have a very good feeling about next season and beyond. What a change from this time last year.
Old 21 Nov 2004, 23:07 (Ref:1160353)   #14
Öbus
Rookie

Öbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
On the question Despain asked regarding PKVR lineup for next year, he mentioned that Robin Miller (who was too sick to come on the show) said that in the recent test Dalziel wiped the floor with Wirdheim!

According to some reliable sources Wirdheim never really got the chance to test the car optimized and that was not neither the plan. Bjorn was testing different damper settings for Öhlins and some different differentials, and that took him most of the times during those two days. Bjorn was running a lot less than RD because of a engine problem the first day wich forced the team to change that engine. Bjorn was ending the two day test with three brand new sets slicks still unused. RD used all six sets and he put one of his best times during a fuel run out. RD was impressing on both the team and my source how was on the track but from there to “sweeping the floor” is quite strong and “it’s like comparing pears with apples” or whatever they say in Sweden.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 04:20 (Ref:1160443)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
That's interesting. Not that I'm doubting you, but it sounds like some detailed insight, so I was wondering if you could shead some light on the source?
Old 22 Nov 2004, 09:32 (Ref:1160573)   #16
Öbus
Rookie

It's straight from sources very close to Bjorn and I can guarantee that the information I’ve providing is fare more reliable than the information that Speed television or Robin Miller is trumpeting over the world. It’s a shame that this kind of disinformation is official and that not PKV and Jim McGhee officially is killing all this.

Your posts are quite interesting, but that don't mean that you can dodge the autocensor!
-MD

Last edited by macdaddy; 22 Nov 2004 at 09:36.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 10:36 (Ref:1160636)   #17
Öbus
Rookie

Sorry but it just slip trough. I't won't happen again.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 16:33 (Ref:1160968)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
The SpeedTV info was very general. Miller was unable to attend WT because he was sick. Despain said he'd spoken with Miller and made the brief comment of info he'd heard from Miller with no further details. Judging by your info the comments needed some context. It was interesting that KK did not really address Despain's comments.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 23:17 (Ref:1161324)   #19
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Öbus
It’s a shame that this kind of disinformation is official and that not PKV and Jim McGhee officially is killing all this.
I don't really think that the comparison of Dalziel's and Wirdheim's times is being seen as a negative for Wirdheim so much as it is as a positive for Dalziel. Wirdheim is already a farily recognized driver. We knew he'd be fast. I don't think you have to worry about this damaging Wridheim's career in any way.