Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Dec 2004, 11:16 (Ref:1170458)   #1
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
V8Supercar's Best Drivers

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I was hoping we could all be mature for an entire thread.

My vision for this thread is for us to have an objective discussion about the merits of various drivers in the series.

I spent all of today studying all of the drivers very closely, and thought of doing a thread like this.

If you wish to impart any manufacturer bias, or you have a desire to slag off a driver, please do not bother joining in.

I have picked a top 10, but they are in no order as there is no real way to decide just who is better than any others. Likewise, there is no way of knowing which style or technique is most effective.

- Marcos Ambrose > Almost the complete racer. Beautiful, smooth lines honed by many years of single seaters. Rarely cracks under pressure and is prepared to mix it with the best in the field. Sometimes makes mistakes if he gets back in the field.

- Craig Lowndes > All about corner speed. Brakes later and turns in much earlier than most guys - very smooth. Due to his "early turn-in" style, it is more difficult for him to pass people. Hence, he often stalks them into submission. Extracts the absolute maximum out of a car better than anyone else.

- Jason Bright > Along with Ambrose, the most classical and beautiful lines in the field. Long arcing lines with late apexes. One of the best and cleanest passers in the business. Hasn't fully proved his mental toughness yet.

- Rick Kelly > Fiendish pace. A very natural driver, who often has a different line lap-to-lap. Aggressive and capable of passing - but often gets himself into big trouble. With maturity, he could develop into a superstar of Australian motorsport.

- Steven Richards > Can't deny his pace. Very fast driver - not the world's greatest racer. Analytical and precise behind the wheel. Often finds himself under pressure in races, and struggles to pass.

- Russell Ingall > Aggressive turn in ensures he puts the front tyres under a lot of pressure. Bussles the car through a corner. Unfortunately, his teammate seems to be getting a little farther up the road. Like Lowndes, can intimidate opponents when close behind.

- Jason Bargwanna > He fights in every race. No matter what position he's in he is always driving like his life is at stake. Not the most technical of drivers, but naturally fast.

- Greg Murphy > Blinding pace. In the right equipment, he can be the fastest driver by miles (witness Bathurst '03). But he needs the right circumstances to be on top. Can get down mentally and struggles to get back up. Style is a smooth version of Ingall.

- Mark Skaife > The most analytical of drivers. Every millimetre of racing line is agonised over. Analytical nature brings adaptability - will drive the car how and where it wants to be driven.

- Todd Kelly > A good team mate to Skaife. Comprehensive approach to all aspects of racing manufactures speed. Possibly the latest apexes of the entire field ensures slower turn in but great drive out of corners.

Besnard, Tander and McConville just miss out on the top 10.

That's just my two cents. What are your thoughts?
Old 4 Dec 2004, 11:30 (Ref:1170465)   #2
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Lowndes is far and away the most talented driver out there. I would also say that he is definatley one of the best drivers Australia has seen
Old 4 Dec 2004, 11:47 (Ref:1170475)   #3
Wheels
Rookie

Australia
NSW South Coast
Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lowndes, wet or dry. The Rat with a good car underneath him should also be considered. Same goes for Jnr.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 12:15 (Ref:1170487)   #4
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Marcos Ambrose
Jason Bright
Steven Richards
Mark Skaife
Russell Ingal
Greg Murphy
Rick Kelly
Cam McConville
Paul Morris
Clowndes
Old 5 Dec 2004, 01:00 (Ref:1170959)   #5
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lowndes is a freak - It's only been sicne he's had to muscle some pretty ordinary cars around that his lines have been "rougher", but he makes it appear so smooth.

Bright is an amazing driver, who probably gets psyched out a little too easily. He may not have a better chance at the championship than he did this year, but he's proven he's a real lead driver this year.

Ambrose is a good driver - I see some inconsistencies when in traffic, but he does exert some awesome speed form that Pirtek beast.

Always been a fan of Tander. It'll be a wonderfull sight to see him in a KMART vehicle.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 11:16 (Ref:1171198)   #6
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the moment Ambrose is the leading driver- in top form and "in the zone" more than anyone else. Great relationship between himself and SBR. They work together so well. To me, a very good all-round driver, good at qual, smooth and consistent in the races.

Skaife- as mac said, very analytical and technical, I reckon the most technically adept driver in the field. Fast and calculating but he at all times seems to know just why and how he is fast at any given point.

Lowndes- just a really good driver in all areas- easy-going positive nature helps his motivation enormously and easily fast and effortless. Not put off by much and keeps on trying.

Ingall- enduring nature, doesn't fade, technical. Knows the technical side really well and never gives up. Good in all conditions, inclement weather, drying surfaces. Very experienced. Battle-hardened and experienced. PR flair/Enforcer tag another feather in his cap.

Murphy- really fast and a good team leader. Would agree to some extent about the motivation thing that some have mentioned.

S Richards- smooth and fast. Somehow not as consistent throughout the season but no-nonsense which Perkins likes and leads that team brilliantly.

Bright- as others have mentioned, good team leader, technical and flowing driver. Not upset easily, top line operator.

Bowe- now a veteran but to me has lost none of his pace. Another technical driver, BJR really came along after he arrived. Versatile as well- can drive any car to the top of its potential and win with it. Huge CV- has won everything in Australia pretty much.

McConville- About to be team leader at GRM- should take to it like a duck to water IMO. Excellent, very intelligent driver, fast and mechanically sympathetic and very fit.

Seton- effortlessly smooth and relaxed, stylish driver. Technically-minded. DJR have done well!!

Last edited by Mattracer; 5 Dec 2004 at 11:21.