Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jan 2005, 22:34 (Ref:1199415)   #1
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Denny Hulme's Last F1 Victory - 21 Years Ago

Today marks the 21st anniversary of Denny Hulme's - The Bear's - last Formula One race win.

As a proud New Zealander who never got to see Denny race in F1, due to my youthfulness, I thought it would be true and just to provoke some opinion amongst the die-hard and not so die-hard F1 fans out there who may have seen Denny race in Formula One (or perhaps even across the "ditch" at the Indy 500 or in Can-Am).

Dennis Clive Hulme could be a gruff and ferocious character, probably due to his father's military style discipline and upbringing. At the end of the day, he was a racer, and I still clearly remember that terrible race from Bathurst in 1992 in torrential rain with Denny's Benson and Hedges BMW bouncing off the wall as the world was unbeknowingly losing one of a rare breed of top-flight racing talents - a man who could not only set-up, race, and win, but who could also work on race cars and make things go again when they seemingly shouldn't have.

Whilst this isn't intended to be an obituary or a memorial to the departed man himself, I am just trying to probe some of you into sharing stories or experiences of Denny - the man, his talent, and his racing - on a day that marks the 21st anniversary of The Bear's last F1 win.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 23:08 (Ref:1199435)   #2
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
31 years ago(1974). but yeah, great in can-am, good in formula 1, but not the fastest driver(only 1 pole postion in f1).
Old 12 Jan 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1199441)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
But a world champion, nonetheless. The race is not always to the swift.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 23:42 (Ref:1199467)   #4
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ooooopsk, sorry about the countback. I didn't even remember that I am 26......
Old 13 Jan 2005, 00:21 (Ref:1199482)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I am only 23, my only memory of Mr Hulme is of that terrible sight of the Benson & Hedges BMW on Conrod Straight at Bathurst. One of my worst memories from motor racing.

Last edited by mac; 13 Jan 2005 at 00:23.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1199709)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
21 years ago... This race should have won by Carlos Reutemann! He ran out of fuel on the last lap, meters before the finish line, when he was leading the race... It's a sad page on Argentinian motorsport...