Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 16 Jan 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1202202)   #1
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic Road Rally Club???

Help!!!

I have heard there is a club that does road rallies for historic cars, where you don't have to go mega-quick, or make any modifications to a road car. I am really interested in doing this sort of thing with my MGB, and wondered if anyone could provide me with links or contact details.

Thanks.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1202540)   #2
Rookie

England
Near France
206180 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.hrcr.co.uk
Old 17 Jan 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1202794)   #3
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
are you sure thats a good idea? after hearing about the trouble you have with steps?lol
Old 17 Jan 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1203172)   #4
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Excellent link - only problem was I was told it was really cheap events - not at £150 it isn't!
Old 17 Jan 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1203199)   #5
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
road rallies are generally under £100. Have just entered the Gremlin that runs on Epynt/South Wales lanes for 75 notes and is about 180miles

depends what events your after and what you class as cheap... A standard car will cope on road rallies, but I owuld recommend a sump & tank guard and a pair of CIbies if you plan to venture out...

HRCR is a good starting point but you dont need to be in the HRCR to do rad rallies, just a normal road rally club.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 23:11 (Ref:1203346)   #6
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Have you any contacts for these clubs imull - ideally one around the Peterborough area please? I'm just after very basic road events where I can enjoy navigating on not too challengeing roads - after all I still use the old girl to get me to work every day!
Old 19 Jan 2005, 00:08 (Ref:1204266)   #7
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRedButton
Have you any contacts for these clubs imull - ideally one around the Peterborough area please? I'm just after very basic road events where I can enjoy navigating on not too challengeing roads - after all I still use the old girl to get me to work every day!
This is exactly what I do with my MGB.

If you want some competitve events on public roads, you have to join the HRCR. Its an excellent club that opens a gateway to another world almost, in terms of further enjoyment from your classic car.

The average cost of a daytime road rally is about £100, including insurnce. Then there's fuel, food, digs possibly etc. There aren't many cheaper events - night rallies are cheaper, but they're very hard on the car.

By joining the HRCR you may get to learn of lower grade events, but these aren't quite so common.

Then there's marshalling of course, which has an element of navigation and timekeeping, to get to your control at the right time, and all the other organisational aspects of road rallying.

I can't stress highly enough though, the HRCR really is a world leading organisation in its field, as well as being a tremendously sociable club as well.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1204689)   #8
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SkyRedButton - Have you looked at doing a tullip style rally, they are organised by local MG car clubs. There is no time limit and the rallies normally finish at instresting places.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1204913)   #9
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
I'm going to try to do a few more events with MGOC and MGCC, as most of these are under £20 to enter, and will give me the basic skills to do HRCR stuff maybe in a year or two's time
Old 19 Jan 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1204925)   #10
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRedButton
I'm going to try to do a few more events with MGOC and MGCC, as most of these are under £20 to enter, and will give me the basic skills to do HRCR stuff maybe in a year or two's time
I can reccomend thge MGOC Kimber run, in the peak district, starting at Chatsworth. About April time.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1204975)   #11
imull
Veteran

wrogn corner of the world for me unfortunately.

one that might be of interest for you is the Knutsford and District MC run Tour of Cheshire. Entries have not long opened. Very good fun event and pretty laid back. look on this site for more info.

I was at it last year and a mate entered. greatevent and not too hard on teh car.

Would suggest looking on the MSA site for a list of clubs. Think you can select by regional assosciation.

Night event can be harder on the car but if you look closely and pick and choose your events then they need not be. A lot more competitive (in terms of overall speed) than the daytime stuff but in todays age, I wouldnt do a day time Road Rally as you really dont know whats round the corner...

Night rallies are a brilliant form of motorsport with some cracking events that are easily accessible from your area
Old 19 Jan 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1204978)   #12
imull
Veteran

you dont have to be in the HRCR to enter as a historic car on all rallies.

also, if you pick the right club, there will be an active 12 car rally scene that are a cross between treasure hunts (above mentioned tulip rally i think) and road rallies. Navigational Scatters are also common too. Great fun and generally finish in time for a pint before heading home...