Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Feb 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1229302)   #1
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some personal photos of Formula One cars in the heart of Melbourne

On her way to work this morning, my wife stumbled across a couple of Grand Prix cars being exhibited at the Queen Victoria (QV) complex in the city of Melbourne, still about two weeks out from the Grand Prix.

After being appraised of the situation, yours truly grabbed the digital camera and headed on down before lunch to take some happy snaps before going off to class in the afternoon.

So I take great pleasure in presenting to you some photos that, for me at least, mark the beginning of the build-up to the 2005 Australian Formula One Grand Prix:

You'll notice that some are on their sides - sorry about that, I haven't had time to flip them around and do nice things with the photos.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1229326)   #2
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great photos, very clear. How fantastic to get that close, the Renault looks fantastic.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1229362)   #3
davebreen
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
davebreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are these cars this years? The side pods look very straight and boxy
Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1229412)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No they're old cars.

Looks like a Williams FW23 and a Renault R23???
Old 19 Feb 2005, 00:02 (Ref:1229840)   #5
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
No they're old cars.

Looks like a Williams FW23 and a Renault R23???
I don't know what model numbers they would be, but I agree they wouldn't be new models. After all, there was nothing to stop a rival team sending over some guys to take some happy snaps, like I did!
Old 19 Feb 2005, 00:50 (Ref:1229849)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Renault is a R202 from 2002, and the Williams looks to me like a FW22 from 2000.
The Ferrari looks like a F2002, but I'm not sure.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 01:00 (Ref:1229854)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Many thanks for some lovely photos just the same. I wonder if these are mock-ups used for display and whether they have an engine at all. Just the same, they will do a lot to create more interest in the coming event at Albert Park.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 01:05 (Ref:1229857)   #8
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think these cars are just Mock ups with no engines.

A couple of months ago i was at Federation Square in Melbourne and they had a mock up Williams, and a mock up BAR there to promote this years Grand Prix. (this would have been in maybe September/October last year.

I wonder if it was the same williams mock up that was there, but they have just sprayed the 2005 livery on it ?
Old 19 Feb 2005, 02:57 (Ref:1229888)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks dixie!
so you didn't try to jump in and make engine noises?
Old 19 Feb 2005, 03:07 (Ref:1229893)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Thankyou..They are realy great photos, and tend to "get one" in the mood.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 03:25 (Ref:1229902)   #11
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Takes a different type of photos to get me in the mood... but it doesnt make me excited about grand prix coming to town.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 05:07 (Ref:1229919)   #12
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.. and behind the Renault is the Mark Webber helmet billycart! (pic 1 I think it was)
Old 19 Feb 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1230037)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jordi, you're right about the Williams. Idiot here made a typo.

I'm not sure about the Renault.....I thought an early R23, but I may be wrong there.

Ferrari looks to be F2002, but the sidepod looks sculpted on the right side so there may be a glimmer of F2003 here.

God we're sad. Well, I am anyways.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 01:28 (Ref:1230482)   #14
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
I have some more which I haven't yet uploaded. The Renault has Alonso's and Fisichella's names printed on it just under the air intake. About to go out again, but if I have time again this arvo, I'll post some more photos.

It appears to be a Triple MMM promotion (local radio station here in Melbourne) for the Grand Prix. They have a couple of Fosters' girls, and the bloke wearing the Michael Schumacher caricature head.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 05:07 (Ref:1230520)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UCoB!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
On her way to work this morning, my wife stumbled across a couple of Grand Prix cars being exhibited at the Queen Victoria (QV) complex in the city of Melbourne, still about two weeks out from the Grand Prix.

After being appraised of the situation, yours truly grabbed the digital camera and headed on down before lunch to take some happy snaps before going off to class in the afternoon.

So I take great pleasure in presenting to you some photos that, for me at least, mark the beginning of the build-up to the 2005 Australian Formula One Grand Prix:

You'll notice that some are on their sides - sorry about that, I haven't had time to flip them around and do nice things with the photos.
PITS to DRIVER:

Press the Light Green button, no the Aqua one, No its Chartreuse!! NO!! NO!! on the left hand side dummy!!
Old 20 Feb 2005, 06:09 (Ref:1230529)   #16
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Back from lunch with some friends, and I have some more photos for you all:
Old 20 Feb 2005, 09:14 (Ref:1230585)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
God we're sad. Well, I am anyways.
LOL. My Dad would agree with you there - and he watches the races too (a dedicated casual viewer, as it were)!

We're all kinda sad, but, you know, all it means is we enjoy it the most.

Last edited by Dutton; 20 Feb 2005 at 09:15.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1230622)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I didn't know Mark has such a big head, just look at the size of his helmet!
Old 20 Feb 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1230785)   #19
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely the Renault is a R202, but the Ferrari is either a F2002 or a F2003-GA. (Maybe the F2002 that raced the first 2003 races?)
Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1230804)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The Williams is just a total mock up, now you see the new pictures. Seems to have an FW23 front end and an FW22 rear.

And it looks stupid for it!
Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1230805)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Ferrari is F2003GA and Renault is a mock up as well.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1230844)   #22
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Williams isn't even properly liveried...since it's carrying #3. I assume the Williams cars should be carrying #7 & #8 this year? Unless they're going to try and change the numbering system again.

Last time that happened was in 2001, Sauber kicked off since they'd 'earnt' 7 & 8, but the FIA decided to freeze the system to keep the big teams within the early number range still. That decision was rescinded though.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1230859)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams are number 7 and 8.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 02:45 (Ref:1231062)   #24
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
The Williams isn't even properly liveried...since it's carrying #3. I assume the Williams cars should be carrying #7 & #8 this year? Unless they're going to try and change the numbering system again.

Last time that happened was in 2001, Sauber kicked off since they'd 'earnt' 7 & 8, but the FIA decided to freeze the system to keep the big teams within the early number range still. That decision was rescinded though.
Except that they had the RBS logo, which I thought was a new sponsor for this year.