Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 1 Mar 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1239548)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First entries in for the Indy 500

It's Panther, with three entries.

1 for Enge, 1 for Scheckter and 1 TBA
Old 2 Mar 2005, 00:09 (Ref:1239577)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's some very good news!

Maybe Eddie knows something good about this Chevy engine that we don't. Hmmm, do you think Eddie will take the drive?

Danica Patrick
Old 2 Mar 2005, 00:13 (Ref:1239580)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eddie who?

Cheever?

Surely he would drive for his own (Toyota-powered) team if he was racing?
Old 2 Mar 2005, 00:30 (Ref:1239595)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, duhhh! I don't know why I said Eddie Cheever, my mistake... :

At least I got the Chevy part right, so maybe Panther believes they have something?

Danica Patrick
Old 2 Mar 2005, 09:14 (Ref:1239789)   #5
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They obviously feel that these days one doesn't need to bring a spare car incase you get bumped!
Old 2 Mar 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1239880)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah its propably a T car , would be nice having another name filling the seat but realistically they have to take one or two spare cars.

At Indy every individual car has to have its own entry
Old 2 Mar 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1239895)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

The understanding I have is that they will run three drivers in the race - I'm not sure how many cars they have physically entered.
Old 2 Mar 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1239897)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well then I guess we will have to wait and see.

im free that weekend if anyone at panther is reading this
Old 2 Mar 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1239946)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The fact that they've entered before Penske, AGR etc is irrelevent; the fact that they've entered a third car is very important, pushing us one step closer to 33. Any ideas on who the third driver will be, perhaps McGehee or Bell?
Old 2 Mar 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1240031)   #10
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bell would be cool!!
Old 2 Mar 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1240098)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
They obviously feel that these days one doesn't need to bring a spare car incase you get bumped!

With the new qualifying rules, there will no longer be any "Three Attempts per car" rule, and there will be "bumping" to some extent on every qualifying day....

So a car will be able to make "many" attempts to enter the race, thus requiring fewer chassis to get into The Race

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Mar 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1240109)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry Tim, can you elaborate more on how the system will work, or point me to an article/thread on the subject? Can a car that's been bumped make another attempt now?
Old 2 Mar 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1240118)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When the IRL announced the changes in the starting time, etc., for the Indy 500, they announced the changes in the qualifying format...

you could probably find the specifics in the IRL's news archives.

But the way I understand it, the Top 10 qualifiers on Pole Day will be locked into the field, and cars can make as many attentpts that day to be in the Top 10...

Day Two....the same type of format....I don't know if it stops at positions 11-20 or not...I can't remember...

Next Session....I believe is 21-30???

Final Day....30-33 and "real" bumping begins...

But the rule where "once a car accepts a qualifying run, it is done" has been eliminated from Indy qualifying....

That is the way I understand it....

Old 2 Mar 2005, 15:33 (Ref:1240159)   #14
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read more about the new qualifying format here:

http://www.indy500.com/news/story.php?story_id=3547

FAQ:

http://www.indy500.com/news/story.php?story_id=3548
Old 2 Mar 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1240168)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Thanks for the link, Snips1...

My recollection of the exact format was a little fuzzy, and my post above obviously had errors in it...

Each car will get three attempts each of the four days...for a total of 12 attempts during the total qualifying format.

A car that is "bumped" can be requalified, provided it still has attempts left for that day...and a car that is withdrawn from the lineup also can be requalified...

Thus, unless a driver and car has exhausted all three attemtps on each of the four days, the only need for a back-up car would be as a replacement for wrecking the primary car, and the primary cannot be repaired to compete...

Day 1: Spots 1-11 only
Day 2: Spots 12-22 only
Day 3: Spots 23-33 only
Day 4: Slowest cars in any of 33 sposts can be bumped, like in the past...but a driver can take his "bumped" car and try to re-qualify it...

Old 2 Mar 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1240180)   #16
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing like keeping it simple...
Old 2 Mar 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1240194)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Nothing like keeping it simple...

Indy 500 qualifying has always been rather complicated....

It always has been unique when compared to any other form of motorsports....

and you still have to put in 4 laps...and they average the speeds of the four laps...that alone is different than any other form of qualifying..

Last May, when someone asked how it worked, my explanation of the old system took about 12 paragraphs to describe...

Old 2 Mar 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1240199)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I'm not sure if I like these changes. Obviously they're geared to the fact that there are so many less cars than before, but a lot of the uniqueness of the system is gone. Doing more than one run once you've set your time could remove so much of the tension, and there's now no real pressure to get it right the first time. If you've got a complicated tradition, you should either keep it or simplify it - not make some confusing and barely-logical changes.
Old 2 Mar 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1240265)   #19
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With a race that is 500 miles long, it doesn't really matter where you qualify (as long as you do). So as long as you can't be SURE of a serious number of bumps on the last day, you need to keep it exciting somehow, otherwise you may as well just have 1 session.
Old 2 Mar 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1240307)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I'll wait and see how it pans out in May before commenting...

But on the final Bump Day, I'll be at the ALMS Race at Mid-Ohio, and won't even know who is in the final field of 33 until I get back home that night...

BTW....

Just got my RACE tickets in the mail today....May can't come soon enough!!!!

Old 21 Mar 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1257867)   #21
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps we could designate this thread the "official" Road-to-Indy thread or something?

Anyhow, Dov posted the following in the '05 Champ Car Silly Season thread:

Quote:
btw, NHR are planning to enter the Indy500 with two Pacificare sponsored and Honda powered cars for their regular Champ Car drivers: Junqueira and Bourdais...
Hopefully it will turn out to be correct.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1257946)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
when were the changes announced?
Old 23 Mar 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1259792)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Today's Indy Star announced that Richie Hearn will enter the Indy 500 in a Chevy-powered car entered by Sam Schmidt...

and that Adrian Fernandez has sealed the deal with Mo Nunn to run at Indy as well in a Panoz/Honda....