Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1254415)   #1
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
another question about engines?

i was just curious if anyone knew anything about this, but with the new engine rule, what happens to the engines in between races when the teams go to do testing? rather what controls are there to ensure no tampering happens when engines are changed for testing purposes?
Old 17 Mar 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1254428)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The team can test all they want, with how many engines they want. But not the engine they used last race. Or they can do it with it as well, but that's unlikely; they'd have to use the same engine not only for the 2 GP weekends, but for testing too.

Not sure how the 'seals' are applied to the engines parts, but I believe that they "reduced" costs by using less engines and forcing them to build additional chassis, or simply not testing at all.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1254438)   #3
ssilviu
Rookie

Romania
Romania
ssilviu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they seale the exhaust sistem
Old 17 Mar 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1254452)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You don't necessarily need additional chassis for testing - just take the "sealed" engine out and put it back in for the next race.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1254457)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Apparently they use a special paint to seal the heads to the crankcase,can't remember where i read that.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1255153)   #6
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssilviu
they seale the exhaust sistem
This is it - some sort of plate is fastened over where the pipes are connected to the outlets in the engine (insert technical terms where appropriate).
Old 18 Mar 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1255157)   #7
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really an issue here, they simply test with another engine to avoid placing excess stress on the engine which will have to endure the next weekend.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1255158)   #8
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the teams could actually turn the engine and remove the exhuasts from the engine blocks. This allows the engineers to turn the engines so that the exhaust outlets from the cylinders are open, and then they can look into the pistons to determine if any damage has been caused.

I read about it a short while ago.. they can actually use the exhaust outlets to check for damage (i presume using a little camera on the end of a fibre optic cord), and from that they decide whether they run the engine in the next race or accept the 10 grid spots penalty.

Would this rule work ??

Every time you have to change an engine during the season, you lose 5 Championship points. And if you do not have points, you start from the back of the grid at the next race.

This would mean that a team that makes an engine that only blows up twice a year would be very successful, and a team that blows up all the time would not be as good.

I think that system with engines would work better then the current system.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1255217)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wouldn't like to see that system, jason.

The current one penalises a possible result - your plan takes away from an already earned score.