Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 28 Mar 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1263790)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
British mesurements...

Dear British friends, forgive me for this very unusual and curious question... I don't know if this is the right forum for it...

You see, motorracing is a lot about drivers but also about cars. And when I think about cars and engines, I think about physics and engineering...

I was asking myself if in Britain today people use the metric system or the Imperial system for their mesurements...

For instance: do you say miles per hour or km/h. The pressure of the tyres is it in ppi or kPa. Do you put gallons of fuel or liters. The cars are built using inches or cm. Races distances are calculated in km or miles.

And what about of the track, on the road of the UK, what is the system more commonly used ??

Thank you for the info...
Old 28 Mar 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1263800)   #2
wensleydale
Veteran

England
wensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We use a good old mixture of units some metric, some imperial.

Speed is usually quoted in miles per hour, pressure in psi, and distance in miles. However, fuel is measured in litres, and measurements for cars are given in millimeters.

It seems that the more technical side of things is embracing metrification faster than the general public, so it may be some time before everything sorts itself out.

Last edited by wensleydale; 28 Mar 2005 at 21:29.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 00:56 (Ref:1263891)   #3
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the mess is easily summed up by the Stack setup screen where it asks you whether you want Metric, SAE or "British" units of measurement! The "British" system uses mph, psi, litres and bar in some pressures.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1264194)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
we're Euro-septic . . . ie half American/Imperial and half metric

I was lucky enough to start working at an old Engineering Company after a metric education so I'm fluent in all sorts of useless units !
Old 29 Mar 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1264430)   #5
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, don't get American confused with Imperial! All kinds of troubles there.

Personally, if it's a nut and it ain't a Whitworth, I won't use it.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1264709)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a joy, isn't it? Only in Britain could you have a 500km race on a 1½ mile oval!

Personally I still translate metric to imperial as I simply cannot imagine metric measures. If someone is 80kgs, I have no idea whether they're thin or fat, for instance. The exception is temperature which I prefer in Centigrade. We've always been odd about that anyway. If it's a cold day it's 'below zero' and if it's hot it's 'in the eighties'. I figured it was worth standardising on that one.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1265485)   #7
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i use mostly metric, although when talking engines athough bore, stroke, crank pin and valve sizes are all metric to me, if talking valve lift, clearances, bore or crankpin wear i do it all in imperial! dont ask why i dunno, but its the only way all the sizes are meaning without conversions
Old 30 Mar 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1265517)   #8
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
same as Mr Bahr above.

I work in a builder merchants where wood is sold in metric lengths, but teh standard sizes increment in 1foot jumps. ie 4.2,4.5,4.8m which is 14,15,16 feet from memory. Our vehicles only had a bar rating for pressure until i crossed it out and put in psi
Old 30 Mar 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1265548)   #9
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham ..I expect you have the same problems I have. Some of my cars' nuts and bolts are metric and some not. Tends to be the ad-ons that are metric. Once you get to know it well you pick up the correct spanner on instinct. I do most stuff in metric but bar means nothing to me. Torque wrench settings are always foot/pounds. Fuel tank fill ups are in litres but fuel consumption has to be in mpg or it means nothing to me!
Old 30 Mar 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1265599)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
i use mostly metric, although when talking engines athough bore, stroke, crank pin and valve sizes are all metric to me, if talking valve lift, clearances, bore or crankpin wear i do it all in imperial! dont ask why i dunno, but its the only way all the sizes are meaning without conversions
I grew up with Imperial units. Although I now prefer Metric for most stuff, when it comes down to precision work, I have to think in Imperial - I have to mentally convert to thous for tolerances to mean anything. It's really just a matter of familiarity, not any inherent superiority of the old system.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1265759)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by imull
same as Mr Bahr above.

I work in a builder merchants where wood is sold in metric lengths, but teh standard sizes increment in 1foot jumps. ie 4.2,4.5,4.8m which is 14,15,16 feet from memory. Our vehicles only had a bar rating for pressure until i crossed it out and put in psi
Yeah but worse than that the length is sold in Metric but the width is imperial so for eg.you go into a wood yard and order 2.4 metres (8ft #) of 4" x 2" not 100mm x 50mm.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1265783)   #12
imull
Veteran

would that 8' be the 2440 imperial 8' or the 2400 metric 8'. Worth bearing in mind as the two main plaster board thicknesses vary between the two. Momst frustrating when you happen to be putting new plaster board onto an old house with different spacings in teh timer lol

We sell our timeber in imperial measurments (ie 4x2) however when you get the the computer it is booked out as 47x100. 2x2 is 47x50. if anyone can see the logic in this system please tell me. Oh, and the saw mills sell it in cubic quantities just to help the process

Then when we get onto dressed wood, 2x1 is actuall 20x45 and 2x2 is called 45x45. Nowonder my head always hurts when i get home lol.

Screws are imperial and nails metric too.

+++++++++++++++

Just out of interest, how many people know that the Europeans have now decided that Red and Black are not suitable colours for electrical cabling. They are changine to new 'harmonised' colours over the next year or so. Forget the actual colours but they are typically bland and hard to differentiate between
Old 30 Mar 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1265792)   #13
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I dont understand is why Americans decided the British Gallon wasnt good enough and made their own
Old 31 Mar 2005, 01:42 (Ref:1265855)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by imull
Just out of interest, how many people know that the Europeans have now decided that Red and Black are not suitable colours for electrical cabling. They are changine to new 'harmonised' colours over the next year or so. Forget the actual colours but they are typically bland and hard to differentiate between
Aren't they Brown and Blue? That's what's in my plugs and has been for 30 years or so...
Old 31 Mar 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1265996)   #15
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Oh its even worse than that... can't remember the details, but its something like they want to use yellow or green for neutral

As for units, I'm in a complete muddle. For example:

BorexStroke = mm (brought up on Japanese motorbikes)
Valve clearance = thou of inch (used to borrow my dad's feeler gauges)

Fuel for my road car = Imp gallons (I don't care what the pump says)
Fuel consumption for my road car = miles/gallon
Fuel for my race car = litres (cos of using 20 litre cans)
Fuel consumption for my race car = litres / min (all my races are by time rather than distance)

My height = ft & inches
My kids heights = metres (for the height restrictions in theme parks)

Guess its a convenience thing... when I use a measure I use the closest exact measurement I can, so if the distance is exactly 10 1/4" then that's what I use, but if its nothing particular in inches but a nice round number like 270mm then I use that instead.

Oh, and I've found that I quite like drinking beer in litres rather than pints
Old 31 Mar 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1266077)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
bore x stroke in mm
bearings in inches 7 thou
valve sizeds and cam lift in mm
valve clearances in thou
exhaust manifold in inches
inlet and carb chokes in mm
wheels in inces, and tyres (scooters have metric tyres in 10" rims !)
weight in Kg
fuel in litres
economy in miles/gallon
speed in miles an hour
torque settings in lb/ft
pressure in lb/in2
temp in degrees C

time seems to be a fairly universal unit hours minutes and seconds ?

ale in pints
lager in Litres
wine in cases
vodka in gills
water in bushels !
Old 31 Mar 2005, 15:14 (Ref:1266301)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Colours.

Interestingly we used to have different colours for disfferent types of fire extinguisher. Now the EU has decreed that red is the colour and you have to read the label.

Hmm,

There's an electrical fire over there, is this water or powder extinguisher, its getting a bit warm, hmm nope that's water, where's the powder one? Nope that's foam um, er. Run away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 31 Mar 2005 at 15:14.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1266309)   #18
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts entirely Peter. It bloody madness!

Last edited by Chris Griffin; 31 Mar 2005 at 15:24.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1266461)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes I came unstuck with that 2400 x 1200 plaster board size when I was doing my extension, at work all the sheets of plastic board I use in sign making is 2440 x 1220 so I naturally thought the plaster board was the same, wrong! And all my studwork spacing and joists were wrong as well. It is absolute madness overhere why on earth don't they just go metric on everything and have done with it. Oh and as an ex surveyor I always measure in mllimetres. Forget inches, feet, centremetres, metres etc just millimetres and you won't go wrong,
Old 31 Mar 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1266585)   #20
imull
Veteran

You would be amazed the amount of people that go wrong Al. Trouble is, that it wasnt even changed on a set date. For a long while, it depended on who buildt your house/extension as to what sort of plaster board you used lol.

Luckily we live in a smallish close-knit area so know who did the work on the whole, but every now and again one slips through. Amazing thing is that most DIY-ers just cut sheets without thinking there is anything wrong and asking us to change for the other size :confused:

New wiring colours Hmmm, black brown and grey in a able. sounds easily noticed when working at speed, in teh dark in a tiny wee basement :confused:

Who uses metric or imperial feeler guages out of interest. When working on engines, I seem to always go for the imperial ones and otherwise use metric. Thats before i check the clearances needed and will normally do a rough conversion in my head if needs be...
Old 31 Mar 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1266594)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I use imperial feeler guages but I am working on yanks!
Old 31 Mar 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1266597)   #22
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Definitely imperial, make it easy to remember, Inlet valves 10, exhausts 12 :-)
Old 31 Mar 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1266622)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Didn't one of the Mars landers go wrong because of this? IIRC, the Americans kindly converted the arrival speed into km/h, but since we still use mph and we know they do, it got programmed in mph. Consequently it was going a little quickly when it should have been touching down gently.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1266692)   #24
imull
Veteran

Another one for you. 15,22 and 28mm copper tubes. Why do plumbers always ask for 1/2", 3/4" and 1" tube?
Old 31 Mar 2005, 23:56 (Ref:1266739)   #25
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Radial tyres are a mixture of both,except Michelin TRX's.