Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Apr 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1267838)   #1
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Battle of the Team-Mates

I know not all the drivers have been announced yet, but the major players have been. So let's speculate! Who is going to come out on top in the
"Battle of the Teammates"

NEWMAN/HAAS #1 - Sebastien Bourdais
#6 - Bruno Junqueira
Third year of this teaming and I can't see anything changing. Bourdais will dominate Bruno.

FORSYTHE #3 - Paul Tracy
#7 - Mario Dominguez
Very intriguing, Mario has come a long way since his debut year. I think he is very quick and aggressive, not unlike PT. I'll give the edge to PT due to his position withen the team.

Team Australia/WALKER = #5 - Marcus Marshall
#15 - Alex Tagliani
Tag easy. Marshall will be hard pressed to keep up with Alex.

HVM = #4 - ?
#16 - Björn Wirdheim
While I am a fan of Dominguez, I think HVM have replaced him with a better driver, based on his CV at least. Anxious to see who his teammate will be.

BACHELART #27 - Andrew Ranger
#34 - Nelson Philippe
Ranger. This will be Nelson's big test. He has the experience and tools in his favor. Ranger at this point in his career, is Nelson's weakest teamate. This is Nelson's year to step it up.

PKV #12 - Jimmy Vasser
#21 - Cristiano DaMatta
Shorty will make Vasser's season seem like an eternity.

Rocketsports #8 - Timo Glock
#31 - Ryan Hunter-Reay
RHR IMO is not consistent enough. I think Glock will do to RHR what Bourdais has done to Bruno. Make him #2 on the track.

RUSSO #9 - Justin Wilson
#10 - AJ Allmendinger
This one I don't see a clear winner. Wilson will be strong and consistent. I think maybe that AJ has the greater potential though.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 2 Apr 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1267981)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Newman-Haas - Bourdais, with Bruno getting about 80% of his points

Forsythe - PT, with Mario on about 75% of his points

Walker - Tagliani, Marshall on 50%

Conquest - Philippe, Ranger on 95%, but I can't see either of them shining

PKV - da Matta, with Vasser on 80%

Rocketsports - Hunter Reay, with Glock on 80%, but Timo outperforming Ryan by late-season

RuSport - Probably the hardest to call, but maybe AJ just about ahead.

I'll wait and see who (or if) HVM and Coyne run before deciding
Old 2 Apr 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1267993)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it's overly tough to make the calls:
NH - Bourdais
Forsythe - PT
Walker - Tag
Conquest - Ranger
PKV - CDM
Rocketsports - Glock
RuSport - AJ
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1268924)   #4
trout
Rookie

Canada
Winnipeg. Manitoba
trout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
I don't think it's overly tough to make the calls:
NH - Bourdais
Forsythe - PT
Walker - Tag
Conquest - Ranger
PKV - CDM
Rocketsports - Glock
RuSport - AJ
I agree with Snrub although I will take RHR over Glock. Someone has to - plus he has a Canadian connection

I think if Dominguez drives as aggressivley as he has demonstrated in the past, there shall be sparks at Forsythe. Paul will be giving him the chrome horn
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1268938)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Newman-Haas - Bourdais & Junquiera : This will be very interesting, Bruno could well get the better of Sebastien, but I'm going to go with Seb.

Forsythe - Tracy & Dominguez : Tracy says his car is much better this year, and I expect him to be one of the main championship guys, but don't forget Mario, he's consistent, that's why he finished a close 5th in the standins last year, ceratinly a respectable line up.

Walker - Tagliani & Marshall : Could go either way.

Conquest - Philippe & Ranger : Now that Philippe, has a fair part of experirence in Champ Car, then he should be much better than last year, he could be similar to what Michel Jourdain, turned out as. It will be interestig with Ranger, as to how ell he will do.

PKV - Da Matta & Vasser : Two previous champions, both are very good drivers, however I would expect Cristiano to have the better of Jimmy, and win a few races, and hopefully be in the championship showdown. But don't count Jimmy out.

Rocketsports - Hunter Reay & Glock : I don't quite now who will be the better, Ryan, has put some great race performances in, through the past, but he remains not consistent enough, to be a main threat. Glock, could have the better of him.

RuSport - Allmendinger & Wilson : This will also be a very interesting battle of the team mates. Both were strong last year, and both will win this year, but who will have the edge, who knows.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1268985)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Newman/Haas: Bourdais by a mile
Forsythe: Tracy, just
Walker: Tags
HVM: Erm, Wirdheim
Bachelart: Philippe should be ahead because he has the experience in ChampCar
PKV: da Matta should do it easy
Rocketsports: Will be one of the closest battles. RHR simply because of his experience and knowledge of the series so far
Russo: Even closer to call than above. IMO they'll be evenly matched all season with no driver gaining a significant advantage
Old 3 Apr 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1269075)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Newman-Haas:
Bourdais easily

Forsythe:
I'll chance Dominguez. Carpentier beat him, I reckon Mario can too.

Walker:
Tags

HVM:
If Verstappen is the second guy, I reckon Bjorn would beat him...but not significantly.

Bachelart:
Well, Philippe had some better runs late season, but I'll opt for Ranger.

PKV:
da Matta with a lot to prove will toast Vasser, but hey, he's the boss...he'll still be happy.

Rocketsports:
Glock

Russo:
Wilson. Did an excellent job in a substandard team last season...think he'll beat Allmendinger in the same tools after he settles in.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1269122)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Newman-Haas:
Bourdais

Forsythe:
Tracy

Walker:
Tagliani by a big margin

HVM:
Wirdheim

Conquest:
Ranger

PKV:
da Matta

Rocketsports:
Glock

Rusport:
Equally matched, Wilson to scrape a few extra points
Old 3 Apr 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1269187)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Forsythe:
I'll chance Dominguez. Carpentier beat him, I reckon Mario can too.
I don't think you're alone in your sentiments. Let me ask you this though, Pat did beat PT in the points, but don't you think that PT was a lot stronger through last season? (eg. faster in general?)
Old 3 Apr 2005, 20:55 (Ref:1269224)   #10
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paul always has good races and good race pace...but champions this does not make. Pat's a steady points guy.

The fastest guy won't win the title if he keeps crashing the car.

So the competition this year is who out of Tracy & Dominguez will 'wall it' less?
Old 3 Apr 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1269232)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
DALE COYNE RACING:

Jacques Villeneuve will edge Jos Verstappen for 4th overall, even though Jacques had to miss the first race.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1269235)   #12
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
DALE COYNE RACING:

Jacques Villeneuve will edge Jos Verstappen for 4th overall, even though Jacques had to miss the first race.
Man, I really can't handle two JV's!
Old 3 Apr 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1269236)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Jimmy Vasser!
Old 3 Apr 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1269238)   #14
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
JiV, JaV & JoV.

Hmmm.

Hows about we leave Jimmy with the 'JV' and keep jacques & jos away!