Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Apr 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1268964)   #1
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Evaluations on drivers "new" to a top ride.

There are a number of drivers who moved from lower-tier rides to upper-tier rides over the winter.

Drivers like Webber, Heidfeld, and Fisi have long been thought to have the talent, but not the machinery to demonstrate it.

While we are only three races in, which driver do you think is making the most of their opportunity with a team at the pointy end of the grid? This is NOT a comparison of these drivers one to another - I am just looking to see what you think of how these drivers are adjusting to life in the faster lane.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 3 Apr 2005 at 17:06.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1268968)   #2
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I will start this off by saying that each seems to be still in "adjustment" phase, although obviously Fisi is in the right seat at the right time.

Webber (and I don't want to get into a "who is better comparison" here) seems to be settling in at Williams. However, his racecraft needs some honing to achieve more consitent race results and cleaner racing on race day.

Nick has shown good in qualis but again seems to have consistency problems during the race itself.

None of the three have shown any sign of being out of their depth by any means.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1268970)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All of them have settled in reasonably well. I'd rate all have performed well, but not spectacularly. You'd have to say Fisi has done best so far because of the win.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1268972)   #4
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a bit off the topic, but Klien should also be considered, as Red Bull have upped the ante a bit year from Jaguar as well, and I think he's doing (or done) a great job so far.

Last edited by joe rossi; 3 Apr 2005 at 17:17.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1269286)   #5
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
A big off topic now (and I apologize by that), but I like that "joe rossi" avatar! Maybe is there some Billy or Lou avatar somewhere?

Now, coming back to the topic, perhaps we have to add de la Rosa to the list! But he is just in temporary substitution so I doub if he "qualifies" for it.

Heidfeld is doing a good job in not so easy circunstances (Webber is very fast in one lap!). Fisi did obviously very well in Australia, but the last two races he has been almost vulgar in his Renault. In this regard maybe Giancarlo is a bit disappointing: he needs to be on form in more than 50%-60% of GPs if he wants to fulfill his potential to be WDC.

In the opposite sense, seasoned drivers used to big cars, I feel JPM is in danger to follow the "Alesi route": forever promising and suddenly he will have 38 years old and one day he will not be renewed in a top car. He has a big stick of comparison in Kimi, let's see how he deals this season (if he stops playing "tennis"!).
Old 3 Apr 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1269301)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Hmmm. I see the point about Klien, and he should be added as well.

PdLR is "out" because for purposes of discussion here I want to focus on the "formal" line ups if you will.

I think Heidfeld probably has the most pressure on him. Webber is looked on as a talent moving up the grid. Fisi has acknowledged skills but is in a really good car so producing results will be a bit easier.

Nick has been around a good bit - always rumored to be one of the more talented drivers but rarely in a ride that let him demonstrate that. Now he lands at Williams, a team which may be on the way back up, down or simply treading water. He is paired with the aforementioned "young gun." So imho the pressure is really on him to show he can produce good, consistent results.

If we can Schummy I would like to keep this focused on the "new" guys rather than have this turn into a a JPM discussion!

Last edited by JohnSSC; 3 Apr 2005 at 22:36.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1269320)   #7
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
A big off topic now (and I apologize by that), but I like that "joe rossi" avatar! Maybe is there some Billy or Lou avatar somewhere?
At last someone recognises me!
Old 4 Apr 2005, 01:43 (Ref:1269374)   #8
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Still early, but Heidfeld has settled in nicely, as has Webber. Fisi still needs a race or two to get fully settled. He had a tough start at Sauber last year as well. In reality, he started better than I thought he would with a win. But I agree he could certainly do better.