Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Apr 2005, 03:55 (Ref:1271436)   #1
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That ole C5R

Going through some older images and I can't help but miss the characteristic shape of the C5R in yellow. The car formed such a part of my life (in other words, I have looked at is so so much, through the frame and on the screen).

I bet it will be like that when the last R8 disappears.

And yes I know the C5R is still running with diff teams, it's just not the same.

Cheers,

Temporarily Nostalgic
Old 6 Apr 2005, 04:04 (Ref:1271437)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
The old C5R looked more "virile" than the new C6 too me... I'll miss the old one too... I hope that there'll be customers for the C5R, beyond the one we had at Sebring...
Old 6 Apr 2005, 06:50 (Ref:1271484)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes they don't make 'em like they used to!
Old 6 Apr 2005, 09:52 (Ref:1271567)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Yes they don't make 'em like they used to!
OT : it reminds me a sticker on an Australian Porto bottle saying 'this is a fuc*ing good Port !' Imagine the same on the 'Ole C5R' : 'tis a fuc*ing good car'

Last edited by Fab; 6 Apr 2005 at 09:53.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 16:38 (Ref:1271828)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs346
Going through some older images and I can't help but miss the characteristic shape of the C5R in yellow. The car formed such a part of my life (in other words, I have looked at is so so much, through the frame and on the screen).

I bet it will be like that when the last R8 disappears.

And yes I know the C5R is still running with diff teams, it's just not the same.

Cheers,

Temporarily Nostalgic
I reckon the C5R is a better looking car than the C6R ..... The 6 looks dumpy !!!
Old 6 Apr 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1271887)   #6
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm nostalgic for John Grennwood's Corvettes...
Old 6 Apr 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1271899)   #7
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs346
The GLPK Carsport Corvette-Europe car is still in it's milennium yellow and black livery, and seems destined to stay that way, so it's not gone yet!

No doubt about it though, the C6.R just doesn't have the racy look of the old C5-R. That car looked mean, and made/makes a lovely contrast to the sleek Prodrive 550, the swoopy Maserati and the classic supercar Saleen. The new car looks goofy in that company.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1271921)   #8
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I gotta agree with cmk - they've made it so much more "tame" looking. In looks the C5-R was un-tameable!
Old 6 Apr 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1271949)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree, the C5R IMO looks a lot better than the C6R, the C6R looks very dosile and dosent seem to have any agression in terms of looks.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1271992)   #10
mikmx
Racer

Netherlands
rotterdam
mikmx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's already a legend imho. If you could buy one with some winning history it will become very valuable over the next years.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1272045)   #11
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the C6.R looks much better in person than in pictures and i kinda dig both cars in their own style
Old 6 Apr 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1272093)   #12
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
the C6.R looks much better in person than in pictures
totally agree.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1272097)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
as long as the 6 sounds like the 5 then i'm happy.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 02:21 (Ref:1272184)   #14
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
I'm nostalgic for John Grennwood's Corvettes...
They were kind of like a nuclear explosion let loose on a race track weren't they? Make the old Panoz sound and look sort of tame.....

robert
Old 7 Apr 2005, 05:21 (Ref:1272230)   #15
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
They were kind of like a nuclear explosion let loose on a race track weren't they? Make the old Panoz sound and look sort of tame.....
robert
Most wonderful creatures, I still remember well the Road America T-A 1977 there were three Cat.II BB Corvettes, two built by Greenwood, and Rich Sloma's lime green machine with the ex-Chapparal 2H intake manifold, plus Carl Shafer's BB Camaro.
Thunder in paradise.

Bob
Old 7 Apr 2005, 07:15 (Ref:1272276)   #16
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

robert
There are certain viewing areas at Le Mans (maybe 'were' by June!) where the ground really does tremble when the 'vettes go past. Don't much care what they look like but that sound........

(The clips from Sebring suggest the C6.R's sound the same?)
Old 7 Apr 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1272681)   #17
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was a link to some clips from Sebring on this forum - I can't remember where - the C6-R had the deep grumble in the clip. Don't know if it's the same, because the first time I'll have seen a C5-R will be at Silverstone FIA GT round this year! never mind the C6 just yet lol.

If that's bad enough, I today found out I can't get to Le Mans this year because too many people are already booked off work at that time... :'(
Old 7 Apr 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1272708)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
as long as the 6 sounds like the 5 then i'm happy.
When I was at their test at Sebring in February, I couldn't distinguish between the two (aurally). Worry not.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 8 Apr 2005, 03:26 (Ref:1272973)   #19
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
PascaLM, skycafe, and Bob Riebe - ahhhh...memories...

Last edited by Fab; 8 Apr 2005 at 07:09. Reason: Insert the pic...

jimclark
Old 8 Apr 2005, 04:11 (Ref:1272979)   #20
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the C5-R and the C6.R sound exactly the same because they share the same engine
Old 8 Apr 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1273392)   #21
Spiteful
Racer

Belgium
Spiteful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I liked the c6r better, but I saw a c6 on the way to work today and it did look kinda tame. I guess I'm not a Corvette man
Old 8 Apr 2005, 22:20 (Ref:1273718)   #22
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
That's a beautiful old pic there - I actually saw a road going version in Lincoln today - beautiful noise. It got the whole city centre looking. Great to see some of the old cars like that.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 22:39 (Ref:1273727)   #23
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Wow, memories indeed! I was not only at that race at Daytona, but in fact went to high school with some of the people sitting on that van in that background!

The Greenwood Vette was fascinating to watch, it would come out of a corner and there was this tremendous increase in sound as the hammer (never a more appropriate term for 'throttle' then for the one on that huge V8) was dropped. The sound would keep building in intensity but you didn't really notice the car leaping forward unusually; but then the torque would hit those huge rear tires, and the thing would spring forward just booming and blasting away, and would eat up anything else on the track under acceleration.

This was all pre chicane at Daytona too, so they went unfettered onto the east banking (Nascar Three/Four), Greenwood always took the very high line, and the tail was ever so slighty cocked out. Bloody impressive! Every other car was mid or lower banking, and it was like watching a hammerhead shark swimming near a school of mullet.

The car was equally impressive at Sebring over the bumps, the bouncing and the huge torque causing the rear tires to struggle to maintain grip. This was not conducive to long term service from the drive train.......but it was a great fun to watch that thing thunder on, chased somewhat futiley by the wailing straight sixes in the BMW CSL's, and the hoard of Porsche Carreras, all under the most perfectly blue Florida Spring Sky.

Ah....................................................

The CR5 and CR6 are impressive in their own right, but I there was something about the sound and fury of the Greenwood car......

robert

Last edited by skycafe; 8 Apr 2005 at 22:42.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1273738)   #24
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Wow, memories indeed! I was not only at that race at Daytona, but in fact went to high school with some of the people sitting on that van in that background!

The Greenwood Vette was fascinating to watch, it would come out of a corner and there was this tremendous increase in sound as the hammer (never a more appropriate term for 'throttle' then for the one on that huge V8) was dropped. The sound would keep building in intensity but you didn't really notice the car leaping forward unusually; but then the torque would hit those huge rear tires, and the thing would spring forward just booming and blasting away, and would eat up anything else on the track under acceleration.

This was all pre chicane at Daytona too, so they went unfettered onto the east banking (Nascar Three/Four), Greenwood always took the very high line, and the tail was ever so slighty cocked out. Bloody impressive! Every other car was mid or lower banking, and it was like watching a hammerhead shark swimming near a school of mullet.

The car was equally impressive at Sebring over the bumps, the bouncing and the huge torque causing the rear tires to struggle to maintain grip. This was not conducive to long term service from the drive train.......but it was a great fun to watch that thing thunder on, chased somewhat futiley by the wailing straight sixes in the BMW CSL's, and the hoard of Porsche Carreras, all under the most perfectly blue Florida Spring Sky.

Ah....................................................

The CR5 and CR6 are impressive in their own right, but I there was something about the sound and fury of the Greenwood car......

robert
Damn, I am a hard hearted sob, but I think I am gonna cry!
Bob
Old 9 Apr 2005, 00:58 (Ref:1273759)   #25
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
plus Carl Shafer's BB Camaro.
Bob, when was it that Shafer showed up with four inches (I think) chopped off the Camaro roof line, and the IMSA officials went apoplectic? I am thinking '75, at either Road Atlanta or Mid Ohio. As I recall he had to fit an aluminum sheet cap on the car to restore the roof height.

Is that car still around?

Hey, Jim Clark, I sent you an PM, we seem to have been in the same place at the same time, probably more then once.

robert