Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 26 Apr 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1287891)   #1
King Arthur
Racer

Scotland
North of Brighton
King Arthur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a suggestion

Rallycross has been through yet another very troubled period but appears at the moment to be moving in the correct direction. I know that there are other threads / forums where you can only post if you identify yourself fully (ie you are accountable for your comments / remarks etc). What do the moderators / posters think / feel about this and how would they authenticate the subscribers ? I for one would take a great deal more notice of people who are known (particularly if I disagreed with them)

Let me begin

King Arthur - Tony Watts - MSA Steward / Club Steward / Clerk of the Course Rallycross Nat A / Race and Speed Clerk of the Course Nat B / Vice Chairman BARC South east Centre / Member of BRDA / BARC / Brighton and Hove / Borough 19 / Bognor Regis. Probably brought the biggest sponsorship deal into Rallycross via Sphere Drake Insurance. Been involved since 1980 but spectated since 1970.

What do people think ??
Old 26 Apr 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1287907)   #2
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think im gona have to get my international licence :P

ah sure why not ill have another bash at this:

rxie (and just for the people who dont realise this its shorthand for rallycrossIreland) - Michael o'Brien - Web Designer / Student / Rallycross Driver / Army Medic / Rallycross(Speed Licence over here) NAT A / Clubman NAT B and Navagator licence / Owner of rallycrossIreland and Livewire Web Services / Member of TDC (Trial Drivers Club of Ireland) / Looking towards setting up the Honda Challenge In Ireland.

Been involved in Motorsport Since November 2003 wrote off my first compeition car in November 2004

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 26 Apr 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1287921)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Tony, I think it would be very difficult to verify each and every poster in Ten-Tenths and I'm not sure whether it would have a negative effect on the 'traffic' if we were to do so. I also believe that everyone has a right to air their views and that in some cases those who are not involved in the sport in a professional level can make constructive contributions.

Stephen Green
National P.R.O.
British Motorsport Marshals Club.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1287941)   #4
King Arthur
Racer

Scotland
North of Brighton
Stephen - I am sure that you are correct that it may stifle some of the discussions but do they warrant listening to. I am so fed up with people giving ill informed and some times intentional misleading information and comments that I for one would like to have an open and honest discussion with people giving their personal views. At least that way you can respect the other person view rather than wondering if they have a hidden agenda. Lets have open honest respectful free speech but with personal accounatbility.

KA
Old 26 Apr 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1287944)   #5
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The e-mail address used to subscribe to Ten-Tenths is verified and we are moving towards a preference for ISP e-mail addresses rather than free services like hotmail.

We also track the IP address of every single post and in the days of DSL connections we can fairly accurately determine who/where/when and if necessary we can and will contact ISPs of people who are in breach of their ISPs T&C's
Old 26 Apr 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1287997)   #6
King Arthur
Racer

Scotland
North of Brighton
Thanks for that Magneton but you may as well have been speaking a foreign lanquage as I do not know what it means. All I am suggesting is that if people want to be taken seriously then do not hide behind a nom de plume.

Maybe I am just being old fashioned but of you have something to say an you believe in it then stand up.

KA
Old 26 Apr 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1288040)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arthur
Maybe I am just being old fashioned but of you have something to say an you believe in it then stand up.

KA
Not at all Tony. Its often difficult to assess the truth in a post when names are unknown. However we are also a community and as such we do get to know what to expect from various posters *cue rxie to make a daft remark*.

What Grant refers to is the ability for the mods and admins to identify where a post is coming from electronically and tell the service provider (ISP) what that poster is doing. But I stress only if that poster persistently breaks the rules.

You can also research people's public profile if you have a problem with a poster. Sometimes they have a website and you can obtain an identity from there.

Hope that helps.

As for me you can find out what I do quite easily. (We've probably met). And FWIW I know very little about Rallycross but I do think the sport is getting something right. Full grids and huge support.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 26 Apr 2005 at 19:00.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1288062)   #8
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree in a way with what King Arthur is suggesting. There are far too many people who have a lot to say but do not want people to know who they are, no profile notes no e-mail address. I for one would take people's comments a lot more seriously if I had a little clue who they were. If you have nothing to hide don't hide.
I'm not saying we need to know who eveyone is, part of the fun is trying to work out the clues as to who's who, but too many people with strong and critical opinions leave no clues.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1288067)   #9
Steve Gibson
Racer

Steve Gibson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
User/real name
Steve Gibson (don't feel the need to hide who I am)
Started marshaling 32 years ago and now;
Chairman of D&DMC, Nat A Rallycross Clerk, National B Race Clerk, Secretary of the Meeting,Club Steward, Championship Steward (NSSCC) Chief Marshal, Chief Observer Member of BARC, BRSCC,DDMC
Other dutied include
Making the Coffee, Barbecuing a lot of food at race meetings for upto 350 people at our own club events also known to do Rallies and just about anything with wheels.
What you see is what you get, I say what I think and then happily argue/discuss with everyone to get to the bottom of it.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1288083)   #10
King Arthur
Racer

Scotland
North of Brighton
Well said steve

Lets hope we can move the "open" - you know who I am forum forward

KA
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1288562)   #11
King Arthur
Racer

Scotland
North of Brighton
It would appear that my suggestion has fallen on deaf ears and that people want to be able to continue to post behind a mask of secrecy.

So as they say on the 2 Ronnies - It is goodbye from me and it is goodbye from him.

I shall no longer bother to read / listen to or contribute to a forum where the contributors are not prepared to open.

What a shame !!!!

KA
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1288570)   #12
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I shall no longer bother to read / listen to or contribute to a forum where the contributors are not prepared to open.
So because not everyone decided to reveal their details in 24 hours you're throwing the dummy out the pram?
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1288576)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Tony, that seems to be a rather rash action to take. You were never going to get everyone to tell you who they are and be totally open, and to think otherwise I suggest is wishful thinking in the extreme.

Surely it would be better to continue to post and to get to know a few more of the members, find out who they are and then choose who you wish to consider worthy to answer?

The richness of a forum such as this is the depth of its members and as a COC, MSA Steward etc I would have thought you had much to offer ten-tenths. We know that the MSA, BARC, BRSCC et al read this forum so your thoughts/views would not fall on deaf ears.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1288582)   #14
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Not at all Tony. Its often difficult to assess the truth in a post when names are unknown. However we are also a community and as such we do get to know what to expect from various posters *cue rxie to make a daft remark*.
what Me !! daft remarks !!! Well if *insert a big waffle-ly rant about something vaugly related to the topic*

and thats all i have to say on that :P (bah sheesh i do rant on here alot !! around 700 posts )

Yup quiet disturbing these days that there really is no incogneto or truely annonamous (spelled compleetly wrong my trade mark style ).

They know your screen resolution, where you came from pinpoint roughly where you are etc.... Scary stuff!

Altho *pats my ip bouncer* some of us have other methods

no need to press the ip button grant im only joshing for now or am i

Last edited by Cryos; 27 Apr 2005 at 14:27.

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1288584)   #15
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm intrigued by the fact that Tony feels people should be more open about who they are and yet uses the moniker 'King Arthur'.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1288591)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
In fairness he does go on to give his true identity...
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1288594)   #17
King Arthur
Racer

Scotland
North of Brighton
Ian

If I new how to change it I would

TW
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1288595)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
You need to speak nicely to magneton...Try sending him a PM Tony.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1288596)   #19
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
(cant change usernames i already tryed like ages ago its in the charter)
(ok ok peter here is my rant )

Ah yes good old aliases :P Sure like RXIE is a famous posting name here on 10/10ths all the major mobs have RXIE on their hitlist on a slighly more serious note we all basically know who everyone is here because at one stage or multiple stages throughout posting you reveal more about your details.

bah an alias or login name can be anything you want, sometimes like above it can bring some irony or intriguement to some people. but does it really mean Grant is a Magnet thats on or theres an EvilPumpkin out there somewhere ??

Last edited by Cryos; 27 Apr 2005 at 14:35.

Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1288600)   #20
King Arthur
Racer

Scotland
North of Brighton
Thanks Stephen

Please give me a clue as to how you PM on here and I will do so.

TW
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:39 (Ref:1288602)   #21
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Quote:
Thanks Stephen

Please give me a clue as to how you PM on here and I will do so.

TW
Click MyCP and then click Send new message under private messages

Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1288606)   #22
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxie
(cant change usernames i already tryed like ages ago its in the charter)
When did you last try? Besides, you're (in)famous now!
Quote:
but does it really mean Grant is a Magnet thats on
Well I ended up with a marshaling nickname (and an award) after getting all the BIG incidents when I was out on the banks. Unfortunately that nickname does contain "Magnet" but the rest isn't printable on here!

I got a woman in Scotland to embroider me some badges with "MagnetON" but a logo that reflects my other nickname..... Next time you see me in orange at Mondello ask to see the badge
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1288607)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Beaten to the post!
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1288609)   #24
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Click MyCP and then click Send new message under private messages
Or click on the persons name at the left hand side of the post and select "Send a private message" from the menu that appears.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1288615)   #25
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Tony, that seems to be a rather rash action to take. You were never going to get everyone to tell you who they are and be totally open, and to think otherwise I suggest is wishful thinking in the extreme.

Surely it would be better to continue to post and to get to know a few more of the members, find out who they are and then choose who you wish to consider worthy to answer?

The richness of a forum such as this is the depth of its members and as a COC, MSA Steward etc I would have thought you had much to offer ten-tenths. We know that the MSA, BARC, BRSCC et al read this forum so your thoughts/views would not fall on deaf ears.
I'd wholeheartedly agree with everything Stephen has said.

The wide variety of people that use the forum is one of its great strengths , there's everything from oganisers to marshals to drivers and spectators - you get everybodys views on things and that can be a great eye opener. Yes there are those that turn up with their own agendas but anyone who oversteps the mark can and will be warned and/or banned.

You have a great deal to offer the forum and it would be a shame to lose you.