Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 27 Apr 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1288492)   #1
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
e30nerd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lens advice

Seeing that there are some very experienced photographers in the forum I wanted to ask for some advice / recommendations.

I find that general photo forums don’t dwell too much on motor-sport photography, and as a result advice can be quite hard to find. I am intending to upgrade my lens shortly, I’m using a Nikon D70 with a Nikor 70-300mm f3.? at the moment. However, I was wondering about going for a similar focal zoom but say an f2.8 to give the camera some more light to play with.

I’m interested to know what people on here use.

Would I be better trying for lens with say a maximum 400mm zoom, as I quite often find myself shooting at the limit of the 300. Would using a f2.8 leave scope for use with a tele-converter? Budget wise I’m probably looking at a maximum of about £1000 so it is tight. I’ve considered second hand and also a cheaper lens such as the Sigma. Any advice / experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1288511)   #2
FREE996
Rookie

United Kingdom
Swindon Wiltshire
FREE996 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lens advice

I use the sigma 70-200 f2.8 , and have for the last 4 years wih no problems
I find it a little short even with a 1.4 converter for most F1( large kitty litter) style circuits.( and it may need rechipping)
But on the plus side they can be had for less than £600 new

The new 120-300 f2.8 from sigma is around £1200-1600 , supposed to be just as good as the older lens above but it leaves no room in your buget

I've got a 100-400 f3.5 lens but I don't use it much.

Personally I'd scoure the second hand ads , ebay & make friends at several camera shops , to see what turns up
Old 27 Apr 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1288521)   #3
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
Thanks for that, the value of 'hands-on' experience counts for a lot in my opinion. Just spotted a mistake in my post, I'm using a 70-200 at the moment. – not that that really matters.

You are right, budget wise that would be fairly to the bone, but of course I could sell the existing lens to try and subsidise it a bit! I think a fast lens is what and I’m after one with plenty of light. At the moment I often find myself running at 400 ISO to compensate for dull days. This does leave the resulting photos a bit grainy.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1288646)   #4
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
you answered one question in your original statement...if you're shooting cars on a track, why do you need a zoom? a long lens should be your main priority, with the faster the aperture you can afford the better.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1288658)   #5
fatbrat1
Rookie

fatbrat1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lens

I’ve also got a D70 and have sourced several lenses via e-bay from the USA. I got a mint ex demo Nikkor AFS 80 – 200 F2.8 for £500 from ZeFF Photo.

Also try looking at www.nikkor.us I got a stunning Nikon AFS 300mm F2.8 with case and everything for $2000 and didn’t get stung import charges either. You have to be a bit careful and maybe I took a big risk but I couldn’t have afforded the same lenses in the UK.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1288685)   #6
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm starting to look at overhauling my stock of lenses...IF I can get the budget together

I'm looking at getting a fixed length lens, 300mm or 400mm really, for those further away shots, as a zoom just doesn't seem to have the same quality anymore... and a 2.8 zoom up to 200mm. Any reccomendations? Obviously I don't have a bottomless pit of cash to play with...
Old 27 Apr 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1288691)   #7
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a D70 with Nikkor 300mm lense. Having a fixed lense can prove a problem so I tend to take a 28-210 lense with me.

I took this shot of Michael Schumacher's F2004 M in Valencia with the 300mm.

300mm is fine I think. If have a media pass which I did to Valencia 300mm is fine for shooting within the track....if your shooting at Brands..again 300mm is fine. Other tracks...where your further from the action...maybe a 400mm...just depends how often your going to use it.

Alex
Old 27 Apr 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1288729)   #8
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
That is an incredible picture. Have you tweaked it? the colours are fantastic!

It is interesting to see comments on the fixed length lenses. I had not really considered them as I am only getting back into photography now. What are the advantages? is it purely the quality? It is just they seem the same price as zooms but I would have thought they would be very restrictive, -ie you would need to be precisely positioned in order to compose your shot.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1288734)   #9
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've often thought that, but I've heard that they are a lot sharper etc. than zooms. My 135-400 can be very soft and really quite crap at the 400 end... you get the odd good one, but you get a lot of rubbish ones aswell.

I'd be interested to know exactly what the advantages are, as in fact big fixed lenses can be a LOT more pricey than zooms...
Old 27 Apr 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1288742)   #10
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it's inconsistent Mike, it might not be a lens problem but camera shake or wrong shutter speed. Test it out at different lengths and apertures to find the strengths and weaknesses of the lens.

Advantages of primes are mainly sharpness (definition), contrast and colour. They're better optically because they're not compromised in the way that zooms are. They'll also generally have faster maximum apertures which will make every bit of difference in focusing. The differences between f5.6 and f4, then on to f2.8 are far more than most casual observers would ever realise.

My recent purchase, a Canon 300mm f4 L, is far better than most any zoom but it's still a world away from the abilities of the 300mm f2.8L.

The fixed perspective isn't really a problem either - you either move or change the point at which you shoot the car. Besides, on a zoom you're often going to be racked out all the way at the long end.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1288747)   #11
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Yeah I was thinking that Gav, I'm probably gonna go along to a test day tomorrow, and run some tests on the lens.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1288826)   #12
molydood
Rookie

molydood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, I don't think you mentioned what body you have (Canon, Nickon etc). The primes are certainly the choice of the pros, and they are much better optically, but of course you loose the zoom :-) I have the canon 70-200 f4, but would like a long prime for my next lens as I find im usually out at 200 all the time anyway.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1288836)   #13
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbrat1
Also try looking at www.nikkor.us I got a stunning Nikon AFS 300mm F2.8 with case and everything for $2000 and didn’t get stung import charges either. You have to be a bit careful and maybe I took a big risk but I couldn’t have afforded the same lenses in the UK.

They have some impressive kit there .... I want one of everything - anyone got next weeks lottery numbers?

I am beginning to like the idea of a prime lens, however I'd need to keep the existing zoom in order to have the flexibility in the kit bag. This would then reduce the budget by a couple of hundred. Perhaps the credit card may need to take the pressure.

They always said motor-sport is expensive – and this is from behind the tyre wall!!
Old 27 Apr 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1288839)   #14
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by molydood
Mike, I don't think you mentioned what body you have (Canon, Nickon etc). The primes are certainly the choice of the pros, and they are much better optically, but of course you loose the zoom :-) I have the canon 70-200 f4, but would like a long prime for my next lens as I find im usually out at 200 all the time anyway.
Nikon body (D100).
Old 27 Apr 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1288873)   #15
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fixed vs zoom

I have to agree with Gav there. You learn to adapt your shots to cope with the fixed focal length - learn to shoot with both eyes open if you don't already. I have Canon EF 70-200 and 400 f2.8 lenses, used on 20D's. The 400 (in spite of it's enormous size) will focus more quickly than the 70-200, so I use it whenever I can
Old 28 Apr 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1289207)   #16
fatbrat1
Rookie

fatbrat1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It always used to be the case that a prime lens was better then almost any zoom but I’m not so sure anymore!. I had an old Nikkor 80 – 200 F2.8 ED lens and replaced it with the latest version of the AFS model (not the VR model) and the difference is staggering, so much more punchy, the contrast is superb as well as being lightning fast. It’s almost as good as my 300mm F2.8 and that’s saying something.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1289242)   #17
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
It is interesting you say that. I think any step up for what I’ve got will no doubt lead to an improvement, a f2.8 whether prime or zoom should improve my results. But there must be an exponential relationship which tails off between cost v’s quality.

The first time I saw the results from my existing set up I was awe struck, that was until I started looking at other peoples work. Then the reality hit me that there was massive room for improvement. It is difficult to comprehend how your images can be improved until you see a comparison. That is not to say that in ideal conditions the results are not respectable, however how often do you get ideal conditions. I’m quite pleased with this shot, but the conditions were in my favour.

I am not sure what others believe, but I like to get variety in the photos I take. Some drilled right in so you can almost see the fly splats on the bonnet, and others panned out so you can see the action as everyone piles into the first corner. Perhaps I am wrong but surly with a prime you can’t get that. I really do have a dilemma now as I feel that a decent prime is the way to go, however, in the heat of the race, everyone will have done ten laps before I get a chance to swap the lens!
Old 28 Apr 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1289531)   #18
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Get quicker at changing lenses?

Fixed primes ARE the weapon of choice, and at least you have older used Nikkors to look at.
I have an Olympus E1, and the 300 f2.8 for that is £5K! OK, thanks to the FOV factor, it looks like a 600, but strewth...

I'm looking at getting a 180 or 250 OM fit but I'll probably still be shelling out a grand, and they are MANUAL everything...

Old 28 Apr 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1289684)   #19
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30nerd
That is an incredible picture. Have you tweaked it? the colours are fantastic!
The image you see if the image I took. Its not been cut etc. I took it like that and the car fills the picture, its the best photo I have taken.

The colours have been enhanced through Nikon Capture but only slightly tweeked. The Ferrari red is a very complicated colour.

Alex
Old 28 Apr 2005, 22:25 (Ref:1289742)   #20
molydood
Rookie

molydood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know nothing about Nikon unfortunately, but I do know that you can hire lenses for the day for not too much mular. Which would allow you to try them out. If you are spending a lot of cash on one then I'd say you want to get it right.
Old 29 Apr 2005, 00:32 (Ref:1289783)   #21
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
I might have to try that approach. My brother works in a camera shop, maybe I can convince him....
Old 29 Apr 2005, 07:39 (Ref:1289899)   #22
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I enquired at Calumet about rental of Canon lenses and you effectively have to leave a deposit close to to the value of the gear with them. I was going to hire a 400mm 2.8 for Walter Hayes last year but decided I really didnt want to find £5,000 and if I could've found it I wouldve bought a lens forom the US instead
Old 29 Apr 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1290018)   #23
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Damn... that might be pushing it a bit... Maybe I'll just try out some lenses in the shop!
Old 29 Apr 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1290033)   #24
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
me too, the hire charges seems quite high as well. I would expect / hope that if the shop knew you were going to spend that sort of money that they would probably bend over backwards.

I'd still like to try one in the feild first, just to be sure
Old 29 Apr 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1290039)   #25
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30nerd
me too, the hire charges seems quite high as well. I would expect / hope that if the shop knew you were going to spend that sort of money that they would probably bend over backwards.
Yes, but at the same time, they wouldn't want you breaking/running off with their expensive gear!