Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 May 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1296683)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Probability of win (warning: strange calculations!)

I have done (strange) calculations to try to predict the probability for win in the next (generic) GP.

I take in account past wins (always in this season), 2nd positions, a discount factor to give more weigth to recent GPs and less to older GPs. I also have assumed that at the beginning of the season every driver had the same a priori probability of win (5%).

After GP Spain and with those calculations I arrive to this prob table for driver's win and team's win:
Code:
Drivers:
Alonso      37%
Raikonnen   18%
Fisichella   9%
Trulli       6%
M. Schum.    5%
Barrichello  3%
Any other   22%

Teams:
Renault   46%
McLaren   20%
Ferrari    8%
Toyota     8%
Any other 18%
Table of results (1st=1 , 2nd=0.25) after the 5 first GPs:
Code:
Importance   0.41 0.51 0.64 0.8  1
-------------------------------------
        FA   0    1    1    1    0.25
        KR   0    0    0    0    1
        GF   1    0    0    0    0
        JT   0    0.25 0.25 0    0
        MS   0    0    0    0.25 0
        RB   0.25 0    0    0    0
-------------------------------------
After the next GP, those numbers will have to be updated with the new info.

I DON'T claim it to be particularly accurate It is just done for "entertainment" (yes, I'm a freak)

All is needed to do those calculations are a calculator, paper, pen and a rainy afternoon
Old 9 May 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1296708)   #2
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what can i say . typical Schummy

Ciao Marco
Old 9 May 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1296714)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are so many variables in racing it can never be a statistical exercise - but interesting anyway
Old 9 May 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1296785)   #4
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Just au contrairie, dear K-b , statistic comes when there are too many variables to do a deterministic calculation!

But, anyway, you, Dani and me know this kind of number crunching is just to entertain ourselves
Old 9 May 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1296789)   #5
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Did you do any check whether this kind of calculation would have given reasonable results in the past (for instance in 2004 or 2003, after about 5 races)?

It would be very nice to have some calculation as simple as this (with very few input data) with a decent prediction value ...
Old 9 May 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1296813)   #6
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes of course. At any given race it's 50% reliable. Either the predicted driver wins, or he doesn't.

Bah statistics.
Old 9 May 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1296898)   #7
supermagnet
Rookie

supermagnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K
Did you do any check whether this kind of calculation would have given reasonable results in the past (for instance in 2004 or 2003, after about 5 races)?
It would have been spot on last year
Old 9 May 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1297008)   #8
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Are you using these stats to help you in the predictions competition Schummy?
Old 9 May 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1297013)   #9
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must be getting old - I'm not only struggling to 'get it' - I'm blowed if I can even read the small print.

Does one of the words on those tables say 'impotence'?
Old 9 May 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1297059)   #10
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Don K: I have not done any fine tuning with past season data (lot of work!). I think I'm going to try to check it along this season. But to do it I need more rainy days and we are approaching summer...

Inigo: Sadly I don't play in the F1 game . I run two games in other forums and I don't have more time! Anyway, I don't think these numbers can help me in guessing games (c:

Hugh: Yes, it reads "impotence", it is a sort of Rochard test
Old 11 May 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1298329)   #11
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you need to work out another way of working out the rest of the drivers' chances of winning the race - statistically it may be 22% likely that any of the other drivers might win the race, but in reality I'm thinking snowballs, hell, that sort of thing.
Old 11 May 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1298768)   #12
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

22% is the cummulative prob of wins for Webber or Heidfeld or Ralf or Montoya, etc. So it is not so unlikely as it appears.

But I understand your point, our perception of probabilities always difer somewhat of whatever calculations we do. We try subjectively to add colateral info about tracks, drivers teams, tyres etc... Some of them are right, some of them wrong...
Old 12 May 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1299206)   #13
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
We also tend to misunderstand percentages.

For instance, many people would think that the chance of the Football World Cup to be won by either Brasil, France, Germany or Italy would be greater than 99%.

Historically, the chances of the Footbal World Cup to be won by either Brasil, Germany, Italy, Argentina, England or France seems to be only 88% ...

---

On the other hand, historically there seems to be:
- 35% chance that the World Cup is won by the organizing country
- 29% chance that the World Cup is won by Brasil
- 94% chance that the World Cup is won by either a team from the continent in which it is held, or by Brasil

So a simple calculation can give us some "realistic" chance in many cases.
Old 13 May 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1299890)   #14
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not a cumulative probabability though, is it - it merely says "any others". That means I have a 22% chance of winning Monaco if I enter in one of the Minardis...
Old 22 May 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1307374)   #15
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Updating these "strange" probability-of-win calculations after Monaco, we have for the next GP:

Drivers:
KR 29%
FA 28%
GF 6%
NH 5%
JT 5%
MS 4%
RB 3%
Others 20%

Teams:
Renault 34%
McLaren 32%
Williams 7%
Ferrari 7%
Toyota 7%
Others 14%

Kimi has got Alonso as the most likely winner, and Mac is now almost equal to Renault. Slight pass forward for Williams and Heidfeld, respecting others teams.

Nothing terribly surprising, lol
Old 31 May 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1315665)   #16
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Updating after Nurburgring:

Probability of win:

Drivers.
FA 36%
KR 22%
NH 8%
GF 5%
JT 4%
MS 3%
RB 2%
Others 20%

Teams:
Renault 41%
McLaren 23%
Williams 9%
Toyota 5%
Ferrari 5%
Other 17%

Now Heidfeld is the third more likely winner and Williams is advancing from the rest of teams.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1316532)   #17
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Great stuff Schummy, but one question niggles at me-do you have a job?
Old 1 Jun 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1316647)   #18
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

My job is to serve all of you, masters

But really the question is how many rainy days I have had lately? lol