Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 May 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1297587)   #1
FPRXR-6
Racer

FPRXR-6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TPR loses Castrol

In todays AA Perkins has admitted that Castrol will not renew it's sponsorship with TPR and that he has known for a couple of months.
He also says that he still plans to run 2 cars next season and will not release Steven Richards from his contract that runs out at the end of the '06 season.
Old 10 May 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1297800)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is that 2 cars under the TPR banner, or the 2 customer cars in Autobarn and Toll livery??

Is this the changing of the guard.. the iconic team owners who retire from driving each lose their major backers of many years standing??
Old 10 May 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1297883)   #3
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing is forever.
Old 11 May 2005, 01:02 (Ref:1297946)   #4
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
Nothing is forever.

Indeed, especially things like.

HRT's dominance in the Championship.
Kim & Brad Jones' sense of humor.
Paul Morris' sideburns.
Tony Longhurst's fan base.
Driving for Garry Rogers.
Tim Schenken's F1 career.
Being a V8 supercar steward.
Craig Gore not speaking.
Wayne Gardiner.
The AVE$$SCO promoted Phillip Island round.

& Uncle not being a Cranker
Old 11 May 2005, 01:44 (Ref:1297962)   #5
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't remember is Larry using the RNR franchise ??? What would the split with Nash do to this ???? Also LP has said Castrol won't be a Naming rights sponsor at all next year. This may throw a spanner in the Longhurst rumor.
Old 11 May 2005, 03:19 (Ref:1297996)   #6
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Is this the changing of the guard.. the iconic team owners who retire from driving each lose their major backers of many years standing??
Please note Mr Skaife: stay in the car. (If you are actually still a "team owner")
Old 11 May 2005, 03:47 (Ref:1297999)   #7
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
(If you are actually still a "team owner")
Or ever was.
Old 11 May 2005, 05:19 (Ref:1298012)   #8
Wazzi
Rookie

Australia
Bilpin NSW
Wazzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell
I can't remember is Larry using the RNR franchise ??? What would the split with Nash do to this ???? Also LP has said Castrol won't be a Naming rights sponsor at all next year. This may throw a spanner in the Longhurst rumor.
The RNR franchise is No 7 Autobahn sponsored. so shouldn't be affected as it is a customer car (supposedly)
Old 11 May 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1298101)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
so is there any rumors on a replacement sponsor ?
Old 11 May 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1298267)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell
I am curious about the TPR structure also... in whatever form of buy or lease, that entity controls/owns 3 L2 franchises, one from RNR, plus one more on buy, a leased one from Mr Romano... Which entity owns the cars/franchises etc....

What has me kind of interested is Mr Nash's involvement in all this... is the falling out over similar issues to the old "red" Team Brock mess... i.e. a substantial gap between the expected income from merchandise, and the actual income....

I can just imagine a certain weely big team that could be well positioned to secure a number of the Perkins Engineering assets & staff should be available An engine program perhaps Component manufacture...

The Longhurst option may see the Castrol millions move away from Cousin Larry to No Baloney... especially when it too becomes a 2 car operation in the very very near future
Old 11 May 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1298288)   #11
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
The Longhurst option may see the Castrol millions move away from Cousin Larry to No Baloney... especially when it too becomes a 2 car operation in the very very near future
very very near future? Wonder if my Dynamik members pack is being held up while they wait to rebrand it all as Longhurst Racing?
Old 12 May 2005, 04:22 (Ref:1298852)   #12
phoneAho
Rookie

phoneAho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castrol to HSVDT 2006?
Old 12 May 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1298992)   #13
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah. Castrol to LR apparently.
Old 12 May 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1299013)   #14
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone made mention as to why castrol are leaving perkins? Are they withdrawing major support from V8's altogether, or are they chasing championship success with another team? Another team who would supposedly provide a better chance at having the No 1 on the side of their car next to castrol signeage?

I doubt castrol would go to HSVDT as there are links to HRT who have mobil signeage. Maybe mobil have had enough... they arent naming right sponsors any more.

Maybe TPR will be 2 cars of black autobarn colours.. or they could throw a spanner in the works and become woolworths petrol colours!!! Liberty petrol colours would look good on a v8 too...
Old 12 May 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1299056)   #15
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
isnt woolworths and caltex got something going together? Rules that one out. Liberty wouldnt have the budget to support a v8 team.
Old 12 May 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1299080)   #16
Crowestar
Racer

Australia
Crowestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about BP? It said Castrol was withdrawing so its parent company might take over.
Old 12 May 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1299494)   #17
Rob 18
Racer

Rob 18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TLR had minor BP backing last weekend. Across top of the windscreen & across the front bumper...
Old 12 May 2005, 22:28 (Ref:1299508)   #18
Henry
Veteran

Australia
I can't quite understand the machinations behind the switch.... surely LP's profile and results would be hard to match.... for anyone other than HRT or SBR anyway. But still, I guess, it often looks much simpler from the outside looking in, than it actually is in the eye of the storm.
Old 12 May 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1299525)   #19
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Results vs. Backstage politics, only having 1 Castrol branded car to keep anther sponsor happy, and thus showing preference to that sponsor?

Sadly, I think the politics loses.
Old 12 May 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1299533)   #20
Henry
Veteran

Australia
As is generally the case
Old 13 May 2005, 00:54 (Ref:1299558)   #21
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I work for Woolworths, and there is 99% chance that the will be no sponsorship in regards to Woolworths Petrol.

Woolworths do currently (have recently) sponsored the V8 Supercars through Paul Morris and the BWS Brand (which is owned by Woolworths).

Wooloworths through there Petrol alliance with Caltex, and Coles-Myer through there Petrol alliance with Shell have NOT made a single cent.

From all accounts i hear on the Woolworths grapevine at work, there is not one Woolworths Petrol outlet in Australia that is presently making a profit (even with the Caltex Alliance allowing the cost of fuel to be 1c p/l cheaper to the outlets).

If Woolworths were going to sponsor the V8 Supercars to promote its petrol outlets, it would require funding from outside the Petrol division.

I think Woolworths would be better off jumping in with Sponsorship of either its Supermarkets, or Big W personally. - Or even my department, Woolworths Liquor. The money they make out of liquor is ridiculous
Old 13 May 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1300400)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Why do you think the Caltex share price is ticking along nicely... and why Shell's would be too if they were listed here? Both companies found a willing buyer for businesses that make at best a 1% net profit on turnover.. some are a lot less than that...

The thing to remember however is that these divisions are not designed to make shedloads of money.. the discount petrol vouchers are intended to drive people to buy from Coles or Woolworths, or IGA for that matter, by giving these large discounts to help drive food, liquor and grocery sales.

The full extent of the rollout for either party is yet to be completed, the food products you currently see in your local Shell or Caltex store (the ones converted after the sales) are for the most part supplied by a division of Metcash, rather than being plugged into the Coles or Woolworths network... this is changing, but they arent 100% there yet, and probably wont be for some time... then the profitability should improve.

** Editorial note... GTRMagic's alterego is a proud Caltex shareholder
Old 14 May 2005, 00:23 (Ref:1300451)   #23
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dosnt bp have a small sinage on the cars and it was rumoured that the davison car was ment to be in bp colours in 2005.it could be the tpr cars in bp livery in 2006?
Old 14 May 2005, 02:25 (Ref:1300483)   #24
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
I work for Woolworths, and there is 99% chance that the will be no sponsorship in regards to Woolworths Petrol.

Woolworths do currently (have recently) sponsored the V8 Supercars through Paul Morris and the BWS Brand (which is owned by Woolworths).

I understood this to be a Morris/Sirromet initiative, a contra to promote Sirromet front of house, limited by Sirromet not being available nationally. Exposure for BWS nationally.
Old 14 May 2005, 10:26 (Ref:1300619)   #25
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Assuming Castrol are actually departing the sport as a major sponsor, this will mean that only the Caltex car has an oil company as a major sponsor, a far cry from the days when Caltex, Castrol, Mobil, Shell, Valvoline and Wynns were all title name sponsors, although the 1st 4 remain involved as associate sponsors.

Castrol are also the last title name sposor from when the category kicked off in 93, with all the Level 1 teams sponsored by oil or tobacco companies, with the exception of HRT and Bob Forbes Racing.

This will leave Stone Brother's Pirtek sponsorship from 98 as the longest sponsorship.

Looking back, LP may have known back as far as the beginning of the year when the team merchandise was launched at the beginning of the year under the Team Perkins Racing banner.