Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 27 May 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1311711)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Carb Day at Indy

Buddy Lazier made contact with the Turn 4 wall....

Moderate damage to the right side of the car...both front and rear suspensions, according to Timing and Scoring....

He walked unaided to the safety vehicle....

Let's hope they can get it fixed and squared away for Sunday....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 27 May 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1311746)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just saw the tape....

Something had to break, because sparks were coming off the car before he hit the wall...

Entire right side is damaged, but the Panther team said they can get it fixed for Sunday...

Buddy is OK and was not injured at all

Old 27 May 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1311752)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I, personally, think that this is rather major news:

Quote:
Hemelgarn Racing driver Jimmy Kite will drive an ethanol-powered IRL IndyCar Series machine during Miller Lite Carb Day Activities on May 27.
Old 27 May 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1311783)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
I, personally, think that this is rather major news:
That has been their sponsor all year thus far....

When they announced the sponsorship, I recall the IRL saying that ethanol would be their fuel next year...

Old 27 May 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1311794)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I realize that, Tim. What I thought was "newsworthy" was the fact that there is an IndyCar running ethanol (albeit a blend) for the first time in history. I truly believe that this is a glimpse into the future.
Old 27 May 2005, 22:38 (Ref:1312048)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Intersting to see if the car's on a similar pace to what it's usually capable of. On the other note, I hope Panther can get Buddy's car back together for Sunday, and isolate any mechanical problem and be sure it won't happen again.
Old 28 May 2005, 00:23 (Ref:1312087)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
I realize that, Tim. What I thought was "newsworthy" was the fact that there is an IndyCar running ethanol (albeit a blend) for the first time in history. I truly believe that this is a glimpse into the future.
I agree with you on that one, macdaddy...

I misunderstood your initial post on this...

sorry about that...

Old 28 May 2005, 04:02 (Ref:1312137)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Buddy Lazier made contact with the Turn 4 wall....
Sounds like typical Panther luck this year, doesn't it?

I can see Scheckter running around the garage shouting, "it wasn't me, it wasn't me!"

Danica Patrick
Old 30 May 2005, 06:06 (Ref:1314336)   #9
trow
Racer

United States
Indianapolis
trow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I agree, this is a good step towards the future.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1316669)   #10
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Intersting to see if the car's on a similar pace to what it's usually capable of. On the other note, I hope Panther can get Buddy's car back together for Sunday, and isolate any mechanical problem and be sure it won't happen again.

The car ran laps in the 210 range but was set up very conservative.

Buddys crash on carb day has Dallara in a war of words with the mechanics at Panther Racing. Dallara says that the NAS bolt was improperly torqued or didn't have the nut tightened correctly while Panther insists that it did nothing wrong that it was just a part failure. The bolt and nut in question has been a source of problems before but every time it was due to a mechanics foul up. This nut is impossible to see when you install it so it is possible that while thinking he had the bolt and nut tightened, he didn't.

They had all the bolts and nuts tightened Sunday for the race however.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1316689)   #11
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carb day was great. After the infinity race, old cars from the various decades were brought out and driven around the track. Even the two seaters from many years back made an appearence.

Around fifty thousands fans at $10 per head. Parking fees, long lines at concessions for food and beer. Just another day at the track. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is a cash caow.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 00:55 (Ref:1317572)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
wow thanks for the update Team Onwer

now any chance for the unitiated like myself if possible could you tell us where this NAS bolt is located on the car ?
Old 2 Jun 2005, 02:11 (Ref:1317600)   #13
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
wow thanks for the update Team Onwer

now any chance for the unitiated like myself if possible could you tell us where this NAS bolt is located on the car ?

Ther are several NAS bolts used on the chassis but most are used to fasten suspension to the tub. This one happens to be in the lower wishbone at the attachment point in the tub. The top wishbone suspension has a threaded NAS screw into the tub but the lower is a bolt and nut which is virtually impossible to see when assembling. This is primarily caused by the pull rod suspension used on the Dallara. I subscribe to the method of a mechanic having his work checked by his teammates and him checking theirs when it comes to suspension. Nothing against any of the mechanics as I am first and foremost a mechanic but you can't have too many eyes looking at something when your drivers life is at stake.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 15:12 (Ref:1318150)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ok thanks for the info

BTW I just noticed I spelt uninitiated very badly earlier

and I would agree with having heaps of eyes looking over stuff it would ceratinly help and very well could save a life