Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 5 Jun 2005, 01:52 (Ref:1320285)   #1
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How much cropping of images is acceptable?

Just wondering what peoples views are on this. I try not to crop most of my pictures, as someone once said to me, if you have to crop too much, you're not doing it right...

But sometimes it is necessary, for example you might have something a little off-centre, or whatever, and a decent crop can make a picture that much better. Same as if you are using a prime lens, or you could use a bit more close-up on the subject.

So here's an example, not my best pic, but I was just looking at the original...

Here's the original :

http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/crop_example1.jpg

In my opinion, it's an OK picture, but the car is a bit off centre, and there's a fair bit of empty track...

Cropped a bit :

http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/crop_example2.jpg

Car is a lot more central.

What are others opinions?
Old 5 Jun 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1320498)   #2
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO the cropped phot loses some of the perspective. I sometimes use framing options from my Paint shop Pro 9 to overcome some of these sort of problems (if they actually are problems(each to his own))
Having said all that I rarely take motorsport photographs mainly cause I spend my weekends on a rescue unit.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1320584)   #3
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
as someone once said to me, if you have to crop too much, you're not doing it right...
IMHO if you are unhappy with a pic and crop it and are happier then that's all that's important.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1320589)   #4
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'd crop it and rotate it a little straighter...thats some hill at silverstone..
Old 6 Jun 2005, 00:06 (Ref:1320961)   #5
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hehe true, my dad always says he prefers my shots where the car is straight...
Old 6 Jun 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1321152)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Crop it until you're happy with it as far as I'm concerned

I don't make a living from taking photos so as far as I'm concerned if I'm happy with it that's good enough.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1321209)   #7
GeeBee2
Rookie

England
Bristol, England
GeeBee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all depends who the picture is for. If it's for your own collection then chop away. Close crops can often give more impact. But keep the original as well.

If it's for publication in a magazine or paper then they sometimes prefer the whole frame and will crop according to their own space requirements and will use areas of the frame like grass or track to put text on.

The other thing is the resolution, I assume you are using digital, the cropped image will have less pixels which is ok for web and newspapers but glossies insist on a certain minimum resolution.

Hope that helps but if it's your picture for your enjoyment then anything's "acceptable", even 2 in 1 hills at Silverstone!