Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jun 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1330409)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
DC Talking to BAR

The story on ITV is HERE.

Interesting to also note that according to the article Sato may be out too. I didn't notice him being particularly weak so far this year.

Also I thought they needed to70% of the leading driver's points in order to retain Button but this story says 75%.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 14:39 (Ref:1330419)   #2
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato has been outpaced by Jenson most weekends so far, but it's too soon to say anything conclusive about his performance this year - he's done less laps than anyone I should think. DC and Rubens would be a good pairing, but it'd be a shame if Ant missed out again.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1330422)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
The story on ITV is HERE.

Interesting to also note that according to the article Sato may be out too. I didn't notice him being particularly weak so far this year.

Also I thought they needed to70% of the leading driver's points in order to retain Button but this story says 75%.
It could be 7.5% at the moment and it wouldn't make any difference.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1330441)   #4
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the problem with Sato is you cannot trust him ever. Only thing you can trust about him is that he'll spin at least once in each gp...
Old 16 Jun 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1330491)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
BAR would be a good berth for Coulthard, if it comes together. His Red Bull stint has given him a new lease of life but only a tie-in with a manufacturer-backed programme offers the prospect of real success. DC knows how to develop a car and would make an admirable team leader, and Honda would surely like his 'corporate' skills. That, and he used to be Gil de Ferran's team-mate. An interesting prospect.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1330498)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menelaos
Well, the problem with Sato is you cannot trust him ever. Only thing you can trust about him is that he'll spin at least once in each gp...

Is that right? Don't seem to recall him doing that every race.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1330505)   #7
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The silly season is starting nice and early this year.

Never been a big fan of DC but I wish him well in his choices. He'd be great for the corporate image of BAR Honda as he's had lots of practice.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1330508)   #8
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing that kept running through my head while reading that story was 'what about AD?'

I can't see BAR wanting two Brits driving for them and I think they'd prefer a long term commitment which maybe favours Davidson because of his time with the team already and DC's age.
Thats not to say DC wouldn't be any good, but I hope he stays where he is so we can get a new Brit into a race seat.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1330544)   #9
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing about Davidson is that in a race seat he's still largely an unknown in the world of F1. Give the seat to someone like Coulthard or Rubens and you could bet your house on finishing high in the points at nearly every race.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1330552)   #10
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
I prefer DC over RB, I don't think RB would ever make a good 1st driver. DC would make a good one, but not a great one, I think...
Old 16 Jun 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1330577)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menelaos
It's easy to say things like that if you watch GP's whilst your head is sealed in concrete.

Sato has seldom spun and before you say it, no, I don't think he has wrecked a BAR chassis in a race yet either. Something Button can't even match.

As for DC moving to BAR, I can't say that'd be all that great. I'd like to think Sato will stay at BAR, because he's good basically. Button will, of course, leave and I'd like to see Davidson take his place.

If it came to Sato losing his seat, I think Rubens would be a better choice than DC.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1330578)   #12
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am glad to hear this. So there is hope left for "old" drivers to land solid rides.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1330599)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy
I am glad to hear this. So there is hope left for "old" drivers to land solid rides.
Not ones who are being trounced by Massa though.

At this stage it's hard to say whether moving to BAR would actually be a wise move, although I suspect this is a good time to join BAR, as they are bound to improve next year. The talks are probably at a very preliminary stage, and I doubt they are completely clear in tehir own minds as to whether DC or Rubens is a better choice. Two Brits isn't ideal from a marketing perspective, but two veterans isn't ideal from a racing perspective, and if they now fail to give Ant a drive, they will be hard-pushed to get any young would-be test driver to trust them, so Rubens or Takuma and Ant is the msotly likely line-up.

This myth about Sato being a regular spinner is infuriating. He hasn't been off the track once this year, and is the only driver not to have crashed out of race last season. I'm convinced that people see Asian features and assume an inability to drive, which is completely misguided at best and racist at worst.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1330601)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Only the old drivers doing well for themselves though.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1330608)   #15
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I'm convinced that people see Asian features and assume an inability to drive, which is completely misguided at best and racist at worst.
Sorry guys, I just don't think he's that good...
Old 16 Jun 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1330676)   #16
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Taku's efforts are some what forgotten because of the brilliance of Button....

He's had some solid efforts and more often has been a victim of reliability issues...
Old 16 Jun 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1330680)   #17
arthurive
Rookie

United States
Michigan, USA
arthurive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see Sato out after 2005. I had big expectations for him, but this year he's
looked pretty ordinary. He has raw speed, but I think he's a very ragged racer.
I would not be suprised to see a Coulthard/Barrichello lineup at BAR in 2006.
That would hurt Davidson's chances, but it would be a very solid lineup.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1330739)   #18
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is a move from RBR to BAR/Honda really all that appealing anymore? Maybe last year, but this year I just dont see it. Granted they have had their issues, but isnt RBR getting even more HP and rumored to have a good engine deal for next year (from the red cars)? If I were DC I guess I would seriously consider staying put, assuming he's wanted there. But thats just my opinion.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1330825)   #19
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd be gutted if he went to BAR, not only would he be making a step backwards he'd have to be boring old Mr PR again...
Old 16 Jun 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1330829)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball
Is a move from RBR to BAR/Honda really all that appealing anymore?
I have to say, i thought the same, but, i thought the same last season when Jenson announced he was moving to Williams this year, seemed a big mistake at the time, but Williams are having a better season than BAR his year so he would have been right to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball
but isnt RBR ........ rumored to have a good engine deal for next year (from the red cars)?
The big unknown. No-one knows how's going to have the best engines under the new V8 rules.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1330870)   #21
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd want DC on my team just for the women!
Old 16 Jun 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1330896)   #22
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah! And get to stay for free at his hotel in Monaco, although it appears you have to buy your own drinks!
Old 16 Jun 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1331069)   #23
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Only the old drivers doing well for themselves though.
There are still 11 races left this season for other old drivers to prove that they still "have it."
Old 16 Jun 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1331135)   #24
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well it's the job of all drivers and their agents to do the rounds and talk to all teams especially the ones were theres a change 'in the wind'...I personally think Nick Fry is more likely to go with an experienced driver, but as 'Boots' says a young driver will never trust BAR again. AD has hung on in there and is highly rated by the engineers and Willis but it's Fry's call and he ain't no Ken Tyrell, Colin Chapman or Frank Williams or Ron Dennis now is he!? Would the Mansells or D.Hills ever have had been given a break in this modern business 'better do the safe thing' world!?

As for Sato, he's 'Honda's boy'...they won't drop him...hes far too big in Japan! Honda might do a deal however with a certain team who might need a new motor!
Old 16 Jun 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1331146)   #25
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
judging by the tone of your post Rennen, are you hinting that deal is already done, and not in Ant's favour?