Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jul 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1347758)   #1
Tone
Racer

United Kingdom
Tone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mosley cancels meeting with Drivers..

Quote:
Max Mosley has cancelled a meeting with drivers at Silverstone on Friday because of comments made by Briton David Coulthard.

"Your press comments have distorted the purpose of the Silverstone meeting and made a calm discussion of a major safety issue impossible.

"As a result the meeting will not now take place."
http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/...to738811.shtml

You think they would still be able to talk about safety issues?
Old 5 Jul 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1347768)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The meeting will likely take place at a later date, away from the spotlight of a Grand Prix, according to Autosport-atlas.com
Old 5 Jul 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1347776)   #3
IL LEONE
Racer

United Kingdom
London
IL LEONE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's strange, DC seemed to Quosh recent press remarks. Although I expect Mr Mosley could be trying to avert the feelings from some drivers on his handling of the USGP. Delaying such a meeting would give more time for attitudes to calm a little.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1347777)   #4
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh for god's sake will DC not shut up about single lap qualifying! I wish he'd stop being such a woman and get on with it, everyone else does! We'll have to start calling him Davina Coulthard!
Old 5 Jul 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1347800)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Max is afraid of any kind of criticism - DC made acouple of throwaway commetns which have nothign to do with the USGP situation at hand, and suddenly Max is unwilling to enter into a dalogue with anyone? People have calmed down now, and Silverstone would have been the perfect time for such a meeting, as all the drivers were there and willing to talk.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1347831)   #6
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I perfectly agree with that. Mosley could have gone to the meeting and told to DC anything he thought worth of discussion. This looks again like a political manoeuver....
Old 5 Jul 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1347833)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca
oh for god's sake will DC not shut up about single lap qualifying! I wish he'd stop being such a woman and get on with it, everyone else does! We'll have to start calling him Davina Coulthard!
Sorry don't agree with a single word of this. DC talks far more sense than Max, but then he would wouldn't he since he actually understands modern Grand Prix cars. Keep talking DC! Max cancelling the meeting as a result of DC's comments just confirms to me that Max's undoubted intellect has turned puerile. He really ought to go!
Old 5 Jul 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1347865)   #8
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in agreement, DC is talking a lot of sense. He has always ( well almost ) been considered in his comments to the press and since leaving McLaren he has been far more truer to himself then for a long time. He is one of the elder statemen of the current drivers and I think he has a lot to offer after his driving career ends. Moseley actions are political pure and simple, how can the president of the FIA be afraid and cencel the meeting ? Surely he has enough balls, clout and savvy to take control if he feels that the meeting is getting hijacked ? And yet again we see a Bernie, Max & Ferrari triangle of power forming as they all come out and support each other.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 15:12 (Ref:1347871)   #9
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm afraid Max is acting like a petulant child
Old 5 Jul 2005, 15:33 (Ref:1347891)   #10
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
I'm afraid Max is acting like a petulant child
...as usual. What a stupid reaction to DC's comments. They could have had the meeting but Max has a serious case of “you’re not the boss of me”.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1347958)   #11
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I fail to see what David's comments have to do with the meeting (or the cancelling thereof)
If there's a meeting concerning safety (and -probably- Indy), then go that meeting, and if anyone comes up with off-topic points, ignore them and just stick to the agenda.

Ain't that hard, is it?
Old 5 Jul 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1347967)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert
and if anyone comes up with off-topic points, ignore them and just stick to the agenda.

Ain't that hard, is it?
you'd be surprised
Old 5 Jul 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1347975)   #13
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What exactly is Max Mosley afraid of ?? ........

So.........he won't meet the GPDA as scheduled and discuss a safety issue because they might bring up another issue he dosen't want to talk about

What sort of adult attitude is that ??

Surely he can say "I will talk about A and B at this meeting but not C and D"

Plus is he not trying some sort of blackmail here ?? .........in that he won't meet them to talk about a safety issue because HE thinks DC has made comments where he shouldn't have.........so he is in effect saying that if DC had kept his mouth shut he would have met the GPDA on Friday.

Also if Max Mosley is so sure he has the right opinion about what happened at Indy (or regulations or whatever) why is he afraid to discuss them and defend them with the drivers who put their lives on the line every time they get in a F1 car

If DC continues to be true to himself and voice his opinions which maybe are different to the opinions of Max Mosley will they ever meet and discuss "safety" ....be it in Paris or Monaco or wherever.

Abuse of power.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1348011)   #14
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talk about spitting your dummy out, one driver makes a few comments Max doesn't agree with so he decides he won't talk to any of them? Pfft.

It's hard to have a mature, calm meeting when one of the parties keeps talking utter nonsense.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1348067)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The GPDA have now fired a letter back to Max.

Red Bull's drivers (including DC) haven't signed it - I assume as they're too close to the situation.

Michael Schumacher hasn't signed, as he believes Indy was a technical issue, not a safety issue.

Everyone else has signed, including Barrichello, the Jordan drivers and the Minardi drivers.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1348209)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My take is that Max doesn't want any critism and he will punish those who say anything against him. Did DC say that he was going to discuss these other issues at the meeting or was the meeting still about safety in testing? I get the impression that the later is true.

IMO Max and the FIA are mostly to blame for the wrecked race at Indy and are compounding it by refusing to admit any wrong doing. As was suggested above, obviously he's keenly aware of that sentiment and is trying to avoid any negative press or criticisum.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1348264)   #17
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since when did Michael ever agree with any one but himself?
Old 5 Jul 2005, 22:38 (Ref:1348314)   #18
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max has once again show he has lost the plot & is no longer capable of holding his position. He is far to concerned with himself & disregarding the damage he is causing motorsport
Old 5 Jul 2005, 22:56 (Ref:1348323)   #19
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is ridiculous. I have refused to buy into anti-Mosley attacks in the past, but what a pathetic display. What we used to call a dummy-spit.

He simply must stand down as soon as possible. He has virtually no support in Formula 1, and a great many antagonists. Fair or not, I see no way forward with him in office. He seems to have develo[ped a siege mentality, where his response to everything is dictated by the political circumstances surrounding himself personally, rather than the duties of the office of president, and what is best for the sport.

Time to go Mr Mosley. New blood and a new start required.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 23:46 (Ref:1348345)   #20
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
The GPDA have now fired a letter back to Max.

Red Bull's drivers (including DC) haven't signed it - I assume as they're too close to the situation.

Michael Schumacher hasn't signed, as he believes Indy was a technical issue, not a safety issue.

Everyone else has signed, including Barrichello, the Jordan drivers and the Minardi drivers.
Was Michael asked about it? These days, it's hard to tell, considering what he said to the press post-Indy!

In terms of Mr Mosley, he could have set the agenda for the meeting and excluded any discussion concerning current Regulations. Seems to me to be a very strange attitude the FIA President has taken towards what happened at the US GP, from the outset.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 00:10 (Ref:1348357)   #21
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"As you know, we consider improving driver safety to be of paramount importance," said Mosley.
Err...what we do know is that Max Mosley, president of FIA can not discuss safety issues with the drivers because one of them critisized the current rules publicly? I think he is risking his own career safety right now. I've got nothing against him personally, but it seems that he is not getting along with anyone but Todt anymore.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1348360)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
To cancel that meeting Max Mosley distances himself even more from Formula1 and the drivers' Bad decision IMO, Max gets way to testy to quickly relax Mr Mosley..
Old 6 Jul 2005, 01:11 (Ref:1348373)   #23
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip." (Caskie Stinnett) Well, Max told DC to go to hell, and proved that he sure as hell ain't no diplomat.

I mostly agree with Max on legal and common-sense issues, but he made a ridiculous charge against DC: "Regrettably, you have now used the prospect of this meeting as a reason to air your personal views on current regulations to the press." As Wayne Campbell said, "Ex-squeeze me?" DC merely responded honestly to British journalists with common-sense opinions such as, "All these rules - qualifying, single laps and ten-place penalties - are not designed to wreck races, but the consequence is that they do." Nothing remarkable about those views; many rational people feel the same way.

Since Friday's meeting has not yet taken place (except, perhaps, in Max's paranoid brain), I don't see how Max can accuse DC of changing the agenda of said meeting.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 01:16 (Ref:1348377)   #24
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who reviews Max Mosley's performance, there must be some sort of group that votes for his position. How can he keep his job. He seems to be more out of touch with the common man that an 18th century French monarch. He is presiding over the FIA while F1 seems to be fracturing and the WRC is about to loose two manufacturers leaving only Subaru and Ford as the decent teams (Mitsubishi could end up allright). I'm sure he does a very difficult job, but still, would a particularly dim peice of algae do it any worse?

I don't understand why he was asked to continue, maybe I'm being unfair but from an outsiders point of view he just doesn't seem to be doing a very good job.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 01:22 (Ref:1348381)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by browney
He seems to be more out of touch with the common man that an 18th century French monarch
That is totally brilliant.