Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Jul 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1354114)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ALMS Rnd 5: Sears Point 15-17 Jul 2005

I have just been looking at the entry list for this weekend's race and I see that there are 24 entered, which includes the Autocon Riley & Scott, now that is good news.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1354132)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed Rob very good to see the Riley and Scott entered, with a good run it will perhaps beat the GT1 boys, at least in qualifying. Nice to see the ALMS getting relativly healthy grids, theres 8 competitve LMP cars on the entry list for this weekend. Lets hope that we get at least this sort of number for 2006 ALMS grids, the LMP fields need this to survive IMO. Still, things are beginning to look better for the ALMS. IMO.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:42 (Ref:1354257)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'Lets hope that we get at least this sort of number for 2006 ALMS grids, the LMP fields need this to survive IMO. '

Same could be said about GT1.

IMO, each class needs 6 competive entries.

We have been over this before though.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 02:27 (Ref:1354286)   #4
awegrzyn
Racer

awegrzyn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
At Lime Rock (chicane area) in the last 15 mintues of the race after the restart my father goes: "Where is the other group of cars?". I told him only few "survied" and that is it. There was like 15 cars running. Sad.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 03:14 (Ref:1354294)   #5
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tblincoe's Infineon Race Preview can be found here

Its going to be a huge battle in 3 classes at least (P1, P2, and GT2).. I dont know about GT1, it looks as though the Vettes are just getting stronger and stronger the more they race them..
Old 13 Jul 2005, 09:48 (Ref:1354440)   #6
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to be there... went to a historic meeting at Sears Point once and thought I could link a trip the following year with the ALMS race, but then they moved the meeting

I wonder how quickly Sky can install? Anyone know if you can get Motors TV on Freeview at all?

Cheers.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 06:33 (Ref:1355194)   #7
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
I have just been looking at the entry list for this weekend's race and I see that there are 24 entered, which includes the Autocon Riley & Scott, now that is good news.

No its not !!! If the car was competitive it would be ..... I love that car but hate seeing it run so badly !!!

Now ..... if Intersport had run their 2 R&S chassis properly ..... that would have been better than throwing all that money into re-engineing a lola B2K/40 and their MG !!!

What happened to Titan and that rock band Gt1 deal ? And that all black crewed 360 from last year ?
Old 14 Jul 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1355400)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Titan is proceeding but they've decided to not make claims about when they'll be ready.

The SpeedQuest / Korn program ended up in Grand Am Cup after a last minute change scuppered their ALMS GT2 deal. SpeedArena has a recent interview with Eric Burch about it.

The 360 - I haven't heard about it for quite some time.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 Jul 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1355513)   #9
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you have a link to that SpeedArena article with Eric Burch?
Old 14 Jul 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1355531)   #10
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.speedarena.com/news/publi...cle_6058.shtml
Old 14 Jul 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1355610)   #11
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt
I'd love to be there... went to a historic meeting at Sears Point once and thought I could link a trip the following year with the ALMS race, but then they moved the meeting

I wonder how quickly Sky can install? Anyone know if you can get Motors TV on Freeview at all?

Cheers.
'fraid not. I have to rely on freeview - they've just got around to putting Men & Motors on there, but no sign of Motors TV yet. There is freeview plus "top up TV" though - Eurosport has become available on that - not sure about Eurosport 2 though. I'd imagine Motors TV may be available through that. I'm yet to try it.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 00:57 (Ref:1355887)   #12
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
No its not !!! If the car was competitive it would be ..... I love that car but hate seeing it run so badly !!!
Well, it still looks and sounds great, and given relative pace it might be out sporting around with the Saleen and Maserati.

robert
Old 15 Jul 2005, 01:15 (Ref:1355892)   #13
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But wouldnt a P1 running around with GT1 cars be a joke...oh wait, no, because its a tube frame thats where it belongs right?
Old 15 Jul 2005, 01:36 (Ref:1355897)   #14
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Nah, it is actually a (another use of the word in car vernacular there days) 'hybrid,' tubes and composite. It is a spiffy car, nice to look at, obviously not fully developed, and followed by the sound of thunder wherever it does run. I would guess, and am already surprised that we haven't seen them, that Intersport's will only be seen in historics. In some ways it seem like they would be too young to do so, but in other ways time has advanced past those cars. Mk III's are already romping around in historics.

robert
Old 15 Jul 2005, 03:34 (Ref:1355921)   #15
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The did good in the early days...definitely a solid car, its really surprising how many reliability problems they have had with them (maybe its all the walls theyve hit?). I remember the JMR car doing really well when it ran.

I bet there are days Dyson laments over them.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 06:45 (Ref:1355971)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
Well, it still looks and sounds great, and given relative pace it might be out sporting around with the Saleen and Maserati.

robert
I'll give you that much then ..... looks great and sounds magic ! Toodleing around with a S7R & a MC12 ..... how sad !!!
Old 15 Jul 2005, 10:06 (Ref:1356086)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy
I bet there are days Dyson laments over them.
I always thought that Dyson dumped the Mk IIIC unduly hastily. It was that period where the team seemed not to know what to do for the best; Mk IIIA, Crawford SSC2K (remember that?), Mk IIIC, back to the Mk IIIA, then the Lola-MG. (Think they might have run another car as well, but I can't remember what). I always thought that a team like Dyson and drivers like Weaver, Wallace and Leitzinger could have done something with the Mk IIIC.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1356230)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rightly or wrongly, Dyson's run at Mosport indicated that there wasn't enough of a step up from the MkIIIa to the c in terms of performance. That's what I was told. They felt that it was in fact a less comfortable car to drive than the a.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Jul 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1356241)   #19
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
One race seems a very slender basis for such a drastic judgement. But what do I know?
Old 15 Jul 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1356370)   #20
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as spotted by theboot over on the ALMS forums, looks like the ALMS has give the Maserati, Saleen, PCM Corvette, and Viper various increases in performance for this weekend's race... looks to me like they're as bored with the C6.R domination as we all are!

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/A...px?NewsID=1242
"Effective immediately the minimum weight for the Maserati MC12 competing in Round 5 of the American Le Mans Series is 1,100 kg and the maximum width of the rear wing is 1,419 mm."

"The maximum ID of the engine air restrictors is 31.8 mm. The maximum ID of the refueling restrictor is 38 mm and the maximum height of the refueling tank is 2,100 mm."

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/A...px?NewsID=1244
"Effective immediately, for Rounds 5 and 6 of the ALMS, "LM"GT1 cars homologated prior to December 31, 2003, and entered as "full season entries" in the ALMS, may install the engine air restrictor(s) listed two weight columns higher (for the capacity listed on the Event entry form) in Appendix 1 of the ACO Technical Regulations 2005."
Old 15 Jul 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1356384)   #21
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should be another very competitive race in LMP1 and GT2. Dyson needs to come back with a win after the Limerock disaster.

And I'm quite interested to see what the shake up in GT1 might do. The Vettes are comfortably ahead on points, but maybe we'll see a few different podium line ups.

I do agree with JAG though. But I'd say if P1 and GT1 get four new competitive cars each next year that would be a step in the right direction for 2007.

And nice to see the R&S out and about. But it would sure be nice to see a better budget behind it.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1356440)   #22
Danske
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
"Effective immediately, for Rounds 5 and 6 of the ALMS, "LM"GT1 cars homologated prior to December 31, 2003, and entered as "full season entries" in the ALMS, may install the engine air restrictor(s) listed two weight columns higher (for the capacity listed on the Event entry form) in Appendix 1 of the ACO Technical Regulations 2005."
Managed competition! Managed competition!

Seriously, it's one thing to adjust the penalties applied to the pre-2004 cars, but doing so only for the "full season entries"? Eh?
Old 15 Jul 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1356442)   #23
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they are all full season entries, thats unless someone else shows up with a Viper or Saleen to run the rest of the season..
Old 15 Jul 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1356561)   #24
Danske
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19dodge
they are all full season entries, thats unless someone else shows up with a Viper or Saleen to run the rest of the season..
If there are nothing but full-season entries for Infineon and Portland then why exempt cars that aren't going to be there in the first place?
Old 15 Jul 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1356567)   #25
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I'll give you that much then ..... looks great and sounds magic ! Toodleing around with a S7R & a MC12 ..... how sad !!!
Nothing wrong at all with the S7R and MC12 pace, need I remind you that the lead GT1 cars at Le Mans this year could probably have qualifed around the lead LMP 2's pace? Remember, the GT1 pole was a 3:48, and that was with a full tank of fuel and race tyres! Without them they could probably have done a 3:45/3:46! Sure the Riley is old, and some way off of the ultimate pace, but it is a potential top 3 finisher if some of the other cars in LMP 1 hit trouble. A welcome addition, IMO.