Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jul 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1354543)   #1
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda wants Button to stay

BAR Honda has the factory offering up a deal to Williams that will perhaps be difficult for Sir Frank to ignore.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050713/40/c9q3.html

If I were Jensen, I would consider staying at BAR since (in spite of points being taken at the start of the season) they seem to be kicking William's you-know-whats.

A good deal for Williams too since I don't think BMW is an engine option for them next season.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1354546)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Interesting. It would be nice to see an F1 deal concluded behind closed doors to everyone's satisfaction! Would this mean Davidson goes to Williams-Honda to partner Webber?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1354557)   #3
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At this rate, the engine should be more important to Williams than the 2nd driver, so they should go for it IMO
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1354661)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Jenson Button should stay at BAR. But as others have said he might not have a choice.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1354683)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
At this rate, the engine should be more important to Williams than the 2nd driver
Button would be going there as the lead driver, surely.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1354693)   #6
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button

I've never really got why Button wants to go to Williams so badly they have not been the number 1 team in a long time and even though their fourth in the points this year it is obvious that BAR has more speed at the moment then they do. Williams seems to have regressed badly because this bad relationship with BMW. At the start of the season I could at least understand him wanting to switch over because I believe Frank and his team know how to run a succesful formula 1 team because they have won many championships and well BAR I think this season has proven they know how to screw up alot and get caught cheating really well. Maybe these types of things are the reason Jenson wants to leave but if I was him I wouldn't want to leave anymore after seeing the Williams BMW cars getting beat by the Saubers of villenuve and the RED Bull cars.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1355079)   #7
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JB has now competed in 92 GPs and has yet to have a single win...Jackie Stewart by contrast did 99 GPs won 27 of them on the way to winning 3 World titles!...Wake up and smell the coffee BAR!
Old 13 Jul 2005, 23:33 (Ref:1355085)   #8
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I think in Williams recent tradition, it would be equal billing, may the fastest driver win.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 23:41 (Ref:1355089)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
JB has now competed in 92 GPs and has yet to have a single win...Wake up and smell the coffee BAR!
Is this Jenson's fault though?

He's at least been thrashing Sato most the time and has not yet had a car capable of consistent race wins.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 02:15 (Ref:1355141)   #10
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
Well you being a Brit, me being an Aussie, we're never gunna agree on that are we
Old 14 Jul 2005, 02:31 (Ref:1355145)   #11
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I were Sir Frank, I would buy Cosworth engines, possibly doing a deal with Petronas (now no longer required after this season by Sauber) to pay for them, get Button in and use him to market Williams and their sponsors around the world.

I wouldn't take kindly to be asked to relinquish an option on a driver that appears to be so coveted by Sir Frank in order to get an engine deal.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 06:01 (Ref:1355185)   #12
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
If I were Sir Frank, I would buy Cosworth engines, possibly doing a deal with Petronas (now no longer required after this season by Sauber) to pay for them, get Button in and use him to market Williams and their sponsors around the world.

I wouldn't take kindly to be asked to relinquish an option on a driver that appears to be so coveted by Sir Frank in order to get an engine deal.
How would that work, wasnt Petronas used by Sauber simply to brand the Ferrari engines?
Old 14 Jul 2005, 06:18 (Ref:1355188)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well you being a Brit, me being an Aussie, we're never gunna agree on that are we

I don't really understand that comment.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 07:03 (Ref:1355204)   #14
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
I don't really understand that comment.
Well as a supporter of Webber, i wouldnt think Button going to Williams would place him as the lead driver...
Old 14 Jul 2005, 07:05 (Ref:1355205)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
JB has now competed in 92 GPs and has yet to have a single win...Jackie Stewart by contrast did 99 GPs won 27 of them on the way to winning 3 World titles!...Wake up and smell the coffee BAR!
Yes,

The trouble with comparisons like this is that they can bite you in the rear.

There are some good drivers out there who in an effort to display their undoubted talents, binned the car.

Then the cry would go up "its the car not the driver".

Mansell had loads of races before his first win.

JB is certainly a good solid reliable driver and given the opportunity will fight very hard for position. However I do confess to be less than impressed with his performance at the British GP. But that's another thread.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 07:13 (Ref:1355206)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
A one year engine deal would not be sufficient these days. If Frank wre to commit to a new engine, he'd need a three year contract to make it worthwhile.

Just who will take the drive vacated by Nick if this deal comes off would be interesting.

If it doesn't then the proposal by Dixie Flatline makes a whole lotta sense.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1355836)   #17
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Is this Jenson's fault though?

He's at least been thrashing Sato most the time and has not yet had a car capable of consistent race wins.
Yeah but...Sato!!! come on! Buttons been in 3 good teams 4 if you count Benneton...BAR need a winner!
Old 14 Jul 2005, 23:43 (Ref:1355856)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Rennen, to be fair, the best two years he has had were Renault 2002 and BAR 2004. Renault were in no place to win, or really get podiums; BAR were good for podiums, but to get a win would have bee na remarkable feat.

He was a bit dodgy in Williams in 2000, but he was a rookie, and come the end of that year he was doing some impressive things. Then 2001 with Benneton, well, that was always going to be very difficult for him (personally I thought he handled it very well). He did a good job in 2002. BAR in 2003 were not particularly, good, but not terrible, and he defeated Jacques. BAR 2004 I thought he did an excellent job.

This year, well, we all know the story. He has done a pretty job so far.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 00:22 (Ref:1355868)   #19
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How would that work, wasnt Petronas used by Sauber simply to brand the Ferrari engines?
Petronas supplies the funds to Sauber to pay Ferrari for their engines, an outlay rumoured to be in the vicinity of US$28 million.

In exchange for the money, Sauber gives Petronas naming rights over the engine make and no doubt a few other goodies.

BMW won't need Petronas to pay for engines, because BMW will be supplying the engines. It is feasible, of course, that Petronas will stay as a sponsor, but if I were Sir Frank, I would be making enquiries about snapping them up quicksmart and using their money to buy an engine deal from Cosworth (which probably wouldn't cost US$28 million).
Old 15 Jul 2005, 03:10 (Ref:1355916)   #20
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
That all makes sense now, i thought Petronas was Sauber's fuel supplier or something
Old 15 Jul 2005, 09:19 (Ref:1356054)   #21
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
Yeah but...Sato!!! come on! Buttons been in 3 good teams 4 if you count Benneton...BAR need a winner!
May as well apply that same theory to Fisichella in 2001 then, seeing as he didn't win a race in that "brilliant" Benneton.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1356089)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That comparison is completely irrelevent. It takes a lot longer to get to the front these days - in Jackie's era mechanical failures for cars in front were much more common as well. jenson has done less races that Nigel, Mika or Rubens did before winning a race, so you shouldn't be writing him off yet. Why don't we take the logic a bit further and point out that JV almost won his first race, tehrefore Ant is useless as he hasn't so much as finished any of his 3 races? (please don't take this as a 100% serious question, merely an extension of the 'logic' being used).

If Button and Webber were paired up, whoever shone in the fist few races would become the lead driver. Remember 1986 - everyone assumed Piquet would dominate Mansell, but Nigel became a frontrunner and the team refused to prioritise either driver. I really don't get the attitude of some Aussies who are convinced that it's impossible for others to view their drivers evenly - is it possible for Sam Michael to give equal attention to the foreigner Heidfeld?

As it stands, staying at BAR is probably the best option for Jenson - it looks perfectly feasible that he could finish ahead of the Williams guys by the end of the season, especially with Monza and other power circuts still to come.
Old 17 Jul 2005, 07:50 (Ref:1357103)   #23
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I really don't get the attitude of some Aussies who are convinced that it's impossible for others to view their drivers evenly - is it possible for Sam Michael to give equal attention to the foreigner Heidfeld?
Who's saying we dont think the team will see them equally
Old 17 Jul 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1357120)   #24
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams have a contract with BMW until 2009. If they are going to split, then why would Williams be testing the NEW V8 BMW engine.
The next engine will be different to this years, so this years performance doesn't matter for the 06 driver line up.
Old 17 Jul 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1357121)   #25
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they didnt test it with wiliams, wat would they test it in,.... a road car ?