Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 22 Jul 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1361064)   #1
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Donington Park to get new pit lane - official!

Apparently all the existing garages are coming down and new ones are being built.

Well, that's what the commentators on MotoGP have just said so it must be official!
Old 22 Jul 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1361067)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this was announced a few months ago - there's a thread somewhere I am sure. Race control and the media centre (obviously, as they are on top of the garages) will go too.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1361085)   #3
redone
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nottingham
redone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[b][i]I'm sure someone @ the Curborough sprint last week said thy'd been up to Donington during the week & seen a rather large crane behind the pit garages, but with hindsight, that would be a bit strange the week before MotoGP !!
Old 22 Jul 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1361086)   #4
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redone
[b][i]I'm sure someone @ the Curborough sprint last week said thy'd been up to Donington during the week & seen a rather large crane behind the pit garages, but with hindsight, that would be a bit strange the week before MotoGP !!
They might have done, dear chap, but it was probably something to do with the MotoGP!

From what I understand the only meeting to be affected will be the BritCar one in November.

Hopefully, this thread will not turn out like the Mallory Park Pit Lane one!
Old 23 Jul 2005, 06:33 (Ref:1361233)   #5
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats wrong with the existing pits? How about spending some money on spectator facilities,then they might attract some?
Old 23 Jul 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1361259)   #6
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Whats wrong with the existing pits? How about spending some money on spectator facilities,then they might attract some?
The existing pits have been there for some considerable time and are getting rather dilapidated. On my last visit I noticed that some of the garage doors were missing and others don't open/close properly.

As for spectator facilities - the crowd at yesterday's MotoGP free practice day didn't seem to have a problem with them.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 20:01 (Ref:1362285)   #7
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what was said on Eurosport today they may be moving the pit complex completely. As apperently they want to extend the length of the track. what they are going to do was not explained
Old 24 Jul 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1362289)   #8
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver
From what was said on Eurosport today they may be moving the pit complex completely. As apperently they want to extend the length of the track. what they are going to do was not explained
Yes,I picked up on that Flagwaver. There was talk a couple of years ago about moving the pit complex into the infield.

I have heard a rumour that the new control tower will be directly opposite the first row of the grid on the same side that it's on now, which suggests that the pit lane will be exactly where it is now.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1362309)   #9
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
If they moved the pits to the other side of the track, they could then extend the melbourne loop complex into the existing pits area. Control tower could still be on the side it is now
Old 24 Jul 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1362314)   #10
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver
If they moved the pits to the other side of the track, they could then extend the melbourne loop complex into the existing pits area. Control tower could still be on the side it is now
It could but then you would have a Rockingham situation where you would need a Clerk of the Course permanently in the pit lane
Old 24 Jul 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1362317)   #11
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
It could but then you would have a Rockingham situation where you would need a Clerk of the Course permanently in the pit lane
or not, as the case may be!!

Great idea keeping Race Control away from the Pit-Lane - lets us get on with it without any interference!
Old 24 Jul 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1362318)   #12
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits!
or not, as the case may be!!

Great idea keeping Race Control away from the Pit-Lane - lets us get on with it without any interference!
I don't get any interference from Race Control, only when my radio plays up!
Old 24 Jul 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1362326)   #13
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought you meant we were getting a new pit lane official not new pit lane!!!!!!!
Old 24 Jul 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1362336)   #14
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
You could always put them on a bungee (clerks that is, not pit lane officials)

Last edited by flagwaver; 24 Jul 2005 at 21:11. Reason: spelling error
Old 24 Jul 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1362343)   #15
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on, can you believe the size of one required for myself or D.P.? I think it would interfere with East Midlands Airport!
Old 24 Jul 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1362349)   #16
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
Come on, can you believe the size of one required for myself or D.P.? I think it would interfere with East Midlands Airport!

I wondered why the Antonov had been coming over a lot lately - it's to get us all used to the sight of you and DP on Bungee ropes obviously
Old 24 Jul 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1362354)   #17
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
I don't get any interference from Race Control, only when my radio plays up!
Works both ways Sheila. You over here, them over there, they get peace - especially when your radio plays up!!
Old 25 Jul 2005, 11:55 (Ref:1362868)   #18
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
While I generally adopt a policy about circuit developments of "when I can see it, drive on it or use it - then I will believe it", I think the following seem reasonably likely:
  • Donington will have new pit garages, RC, timekeepers and commentary box constructed over the winter (2005/6).
  • The new pits etc. will be in almost exactly the current location. (Possibly a marginal extension of the garages towards Redgate but nothing dramatic.)
  • The impetus behind them is for the Moto GP.
  • The commentary box will be one floor lower, as will the timekeepers (i.e. the timekeepers will be on the first floor (UK definition, not US) alongside Race Control).
  • The track will not be affected (by the pits changes; I have not heard about anything else.)
Questions:
  • Will the starting grid still be in the same place so that the tail enders on a fulll grid are backed up into Goddards?
  • Will the GP pit entrance survive?
  • Will the Paddock Center (or whatever they are calling what used to be the covered assembly area) remain?
  • And will there still be a broomstick park at the bottom end?
Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 25 Jul 2005 at 11:57. Reason: Clarity
Old 25 Jul 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1362876)   #19
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still don't see what is wrong with the existing buildings that cannot be repaired? As the bike GP is the only one that attracts a crowd,as far as I am concerned they can keep it.I hope all car racing will move elsewhere.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1362917)   #20
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As a local resident who has been following the DP redevelopment plans for many years I reckon JimW is spot on. The plans to move the pits complex to the infield (opposite the current exhibition centre, I think) were only part of a plan to redevelop the site if DP ever got the F1 GP again (following Bernies recent - but now repaired - falling out with Silverstone).

A new Pits complex is required because the current set up is not considered good enough for major events & lets face it, they are dilapidated & the loos are disgusting, no showers/ changing rooms etc. The facilities were adequate 25 years ago but the world has moved on & even club racers would like facilities that worked.

It is worth noting that the DTM crowd were appalled at the facilities & the Moto GP contract was only re-signed on the promise of the upgrade.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 12:52 (Ref:1362927)   #21
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Brilliant! Pits opposite the exhibition building,where will the spectators watch from?
Old 25 Jul 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1362941)   #22
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There isn't going to be any pits opposite the exhibition building...
Old 25 Jul 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1362969)   #23
Magnet
Racer

Ireland
Anglesey, North Wales
Magnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
There isn't going to be any pits opposite the exhibition building...
And there probably isn't going to be any spectators if they don't improve the facilities
Old 25 Jul 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1363003)   #24
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Brilliant! Pits opposite the exhibition building,where will the spectators watch from?
Rob

I obviously misled you by mistake, although I did refer to JimW's previous posting. This is not the current plan, the plan to have pits opposite where the current exhibition centre is situated was part of an old, much more comprehensive plan to redevelop the site if DP had got the F1 Grand Prix. The exhibition centre (and possibly the GP collection) would have also been re-located and, I believe, the current straight would have become the pit lane with Coppice being completely reprofiled and a new straight being constructed slightly further to the north (in line with the old circuit profile, perhaps). Of course this plan was not viable without the GP (and was only required because of Bernie's insistence that pits complex's are supposed to be on the in field) and so has been dropped.

The current plan is to re-develop the existing pits complex, on the same site, and will cost much, much less.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1363018)   #25
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Still don't see what is wrong with the existing buildings that cannot be repaired?
They are ****e!