Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 19 Aug 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1386106)   #1
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More from LMES Silverstone

My photos are now online at...

PLANETLEMANS.COM

Unfortunately they've mixed them all up so if you want to see them in the right order you can see them on my own site...

HERE

Hope you like them. I'm pretty pleased with the night practise shots - and some of the people shots which I haven't done a lot of.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 09:45 (Ref:1386158)   #2
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, they're in the right order now - that's better.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 10:06 (Ref:1386167)   #3
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great pictures it was good to meet up hope you had a good weekend
Old 19 Aug 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1386302)   #4
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent work there!
Old 19 Aug 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1386345)   #5
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best LMES coverage I have seen so far. Excellent paddock work.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 15:34 (Ref:1386456)   #6
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
e30nerd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Wow they are seriously impressive! Very very atmospheric!

really love the ones in the wet, and the dusk and the pit lane shots .... well TBH all of them!!
Old 23 Aug 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1389386)   #7
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm assuming you walk around with a tripod judging by those shutter speeds or have a VERY steady hand.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1389559)   #8
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapperjack
I'm assuming you walk around with a tripod judging by those shutter speeds or have a VERY steady hand.
It's odd that you say that as I did see a chap with a tripod set up in the pit lane whilst the track was live at Silverstone.. Quite a few times, actually.. Not on the pit wall, but actually in the live pit lane itself, half way out between the garages and the pit wall..!!!!..

Now, you know, whoever that was, you really might want to think about that a bit before doing it again.. Not really a safe thing to be doing at all.. Being hit by a couple of kilos of camera gear that has been sent flying by a errant car would not be a nice thing to have happen to you..
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1389691)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Awesome pictures, and those Turner-esque clouds. I love the dusk shots in the pit lane.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1389960)   #10
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
Thanks for the kind comments - I'm really glad you liked them. I'm quite pleased with the shots I got with the conditions as they were - although the bad weather did make for some nice clouds in the evening.

As for safety - I wasn't the chap with the medium format camera set up on a tripod in front of the time keepers booth - he had his tripod extended to chest height.

I have a very compact tripod which if I extend it at all, I only extend to 2 feet (and weighs far less than most of the big pro lenses). I wait till the car comes to rest and the mechanics start, flip ot the legs, plonk it on the ground, quick level check, shoot and whip the whole thing out the way again. (it probably takes as long to do as to read it)

If I'm close then I'll be doing a threequarter shot - out of the cars path. The front-on ones are taken with a longer lens - again out of the cars path - by the time the car has got to me it'll be in the pit road.

I'm all to aware that using a tripod in this situation is a little unusual and am therefore extremely careful about how I use it and make very sure I've had a good look to see which garages are waiting for someone to come in, who's coming down the pitlane and so on. I really don't think my methods are any more dangerous than anyone elses - and are probably less dangerous than the chap who was shoving his camera into the cars and firing off 5 or 6 bursts from his external flash directly into the drivers eyes. (or for that matter using your flash in multi/strobe mode on inside of la source )
Old 24 Aug 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1390046)   #11
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very impressive indeed. Some lovely eye candy there.

I'm particulary impressed with the image quality in dark conditions on iso 100, how do look original size? Also what lenses did you use?

I think I'll try a few things with iso 100 to see if i get reduced image noise on my pictures.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1390092)   #12
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
I partly went for the Canon camera because of the low iso and noise - I like doing night shots. Full size the images look nice and clean and sharp too - but I do adjust the levels and unsharpmask the images in photoshop. They need it as I use the camera set to parameter 2 - which has low sharpness, contrast and saturation settings.

I used mostly the 17-40 L for the pitlane shots of cars. I also used the Canon 50 1.8 and Tamron 90 macro in the pits but mainly for shots of people. Finally there's a canon 200 2.8L which I picked up second hand and used mainly for the on track stuff. Oh, and a Peleng 8mm Fisheye which I got off ebay. I tried not to use that too much this time though - you can have too much of it.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1390138)   #13
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic images...best i've seen from the LMES and some really atmospheric stuff....superb