Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 24 Sep 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1415301)   #1
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will A1 gp ever take over from formula 1?.

Just a thought do you think A1gp ever take over from F1, what do or does anyone think.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1415305)   #2
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
This has been discussed a number of times in the past, and the general opinion is no. They are very different ideas (F1 is best driver/constructor - A1GP is best team), they run at different times of the year, the cars are vastly different - A1GP was established as a compliment to F1, and there is no reason it should want to even try to take over from F1.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1415334)   #3
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The question I have is do you think that with the conclusioin of the season we'll see more F1 drivers?

Tony Kanaan I belive has stated he'd like to run for Brazil at the conclusion of the IRL season, and that'd be pretty cool to say the least!
Old 24 Sep 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1415356)   #4
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 contracts being what they are, I think the only F1 drivers you are ever likely to see in A1 are guys like Sato, Albers, or Karthekein who need to prove themselves to F1 teams for next year.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 08:07 (Ref:1417643)   #5
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's quite an exciting prospect though isn't it. Dan Wheldon in for Team GB anyone??? Then we might see if he can drive on a road course. Would be great to see TK in at Brazil as well but then again why would they change a winning team?
Old 27 Sep 2005, 09:54 (Ref:1417718)   #6
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brazil don't need any more help!!!!!!

When you see how much quicker than everyone else Nelson was you know he's likely to be the driver of the series.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1417724)   #7
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Piquet did well this weekend theres no doubt about it but I think the fact he is being run by ART will be a big factor in just how quick he was. They have dominated Euro F3 and now GP2 over recent seasons.

Piquet's always been superb around Brands, I followed him in his F3 days...on certain circuits such as Brands he's leagues above the competition, but he aint consistent from one circuit to the next. One day he's a word beater, he might go to Lausitzring and be absolutely nowhere, he's that kind of driver which is why I've never jumped on the "he's awesome" bandwaggon.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 10:16 (Ref:1417742)   #8
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP may have started as a "compliment" to F1 and wasn't designed to overtake it, but if the success and momentum of Brands Hatch continues... then who knows

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 27 Sep 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1417762)   #9
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even though A1 has never intended to compete with F1, I think it's highly likely that in a few years A1's popularity will have made it the second tier of open wheelers.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1418249)   #10
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it was good to watch, and cheaper than the GP to goto! so its good but aint the same is it... id imagine it might do better in countries who have drivers and teams that aint in f1.
which i suppose is wot its all about really!!
i think it will be around a long time
Old 27 Sep 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1418266)   #11
Wolffang
Rookie

United Kingdom
Watford
Wolffang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go A1 Go!

I think it has a good chance to take over, and possibly overtake F1... Question is who is the true World Champion???

A1 is truely a global event.. one day we will see many more countries joining...

We will have to see...

It was an awesome race at Brands Hatch.. I was there to experience it all...

Read the MSV review
Old 27 Sep 2005, 23:25 (Ref:1418361)   #12
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the championship deciding F1 race a couple of hours later was an absolute snooze-fest by comparison. Never thought I'd say this, as I'[ve been a devoted F1 fan for years, but were there a choice to make tomorrow between watching a F1 race and an A1GP meeting...I'd watch the A1.

Hopefully F1 will get a wake up call and finally work out a way to generate more on-track competition.

However, if the money stays in F1, so will the best people.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1418366)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This discussion does A1GP no favours IMHO. It is different and good. if you are having to say 'and it was better than F1' then you are demonstrating a chip on your shoulder and that you aren't.

There is a motorsport world outside F1. A1GP is part of it. Just enjoy it, rather than have to prove something.

If you want to talk detail then the teams and the drivers are not of the calibre of F1(by a long way IMHO). So what? It is A1GP and we have had one race. The day when it has made it will be the day we discuss a race and not have to refer to F1.

Frankly I enjoyed them both. There were some fantastic moves in the opening laps of the F1 race and a flat out blast for the rest of it and we got a new (F1) world champion. The A1 race was good too, much finding of feet, but a couple of great drives by a dominant Brazilian team. I look forward to the next event in both series.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 00:02 (Ref:1418382)   #14
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you have a fair point Adam to say that this kind of discussion doesnt do the series any favours because it really isnt trying to be F1 and isnt trying to compete with it either.........yet

At the same time though I think there will come the day when people are going to choose whether to watch A1 or F1 and that's when the discussion becomes relevant. On Sunday's evidence I would (just) choose A1, and for a first race weekend it was a pretty good start.

Will it ever take over from F1 - nope - F1 will either progress or kill itself first
Old 29 Sep 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1419848)   #15
jump
Rookie

England
West London
jump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzza4ever
Brazil don't need any more help!!!!!!

When you see how much quicker than everyone else Nelson was you know he's likely to be the driver of the series.
He was phenomenal I thought
Old 29 Sep 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1420020)   #16
Go-Pakistan
Racer

Pakistan
London
Go-Pakistan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a1

Nelson Piquet Jr. hasn't done so well in GP2, but he was the clearly the best at Brands.

It will be good to see other drivers winning races so there is a fight for the championship. It creates a level playing field as it's a one-make series, unlike era's of team domination in F1, like McLaren, Williams and Ferrari.

Looking forward to next race....does anyone know about terrestrial (uk) TV coverage or is it only on sky sports?

Nice one.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1420057)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No. Grand Prix racing, F1 or whatever it will be called in the future, will be top dog.
The A1-GP is a great idea and has had very clever marketing. It will receive tremendous coverage in the winter months when no other racing is happening and despite the hype on the TV and in the daily press, it is not the new F1. It was never intended to be, despite claims of 'Grand Prix racing returns to Brands Hatch'. The best engineers and designers in the business work in F1 to make their cars go faster, not working on an off-the-shelf 'one make' kit car.
It is basically F3000 in a frilly dress and receiving the marketing that F3000 should have had. The nation thing is a good idea to attract interest, as 46,000 spectators at Brands will testify. But it needs top drivers and they will always go to the pinnacle where the motor manufacturers can pay them top dollar.
...and A1-GP does not have Monaco, one of the three most famous races in the world.
But it will succeed in it's own marketplace no doubt and provide employment for many in the winter. But F1 it isn't!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1420145)   #18
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read about the 46,000 but there must have been a load more than that there......

Maybe it was 46,000 declared to the taxman and 30,000 that paid cash and slipped through the net!!!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1420149)   #19
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon 46K was about right. You could still see grass on South Bank which was not overflowing as it was at the 80s 'Mansellmania' Grands Prix, when only a sea of faces could be seen with no parking allowed on there.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1420157)   #20
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Here is a shot of a really crowded Brands meeting. The last GP there in '86. The crowd was like this across the whole of South Bank.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1420204)   #21
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Christ, I'm glad I wasn't trying to get out of the car park that day!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1420209)   #22
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I was parked in the field across the road from the paddock entrance - next to the M20. It took 6 hours to reach the Dartford tunnel!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1420221)   #23
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go-Pakistan - Sky Sports has exlcusive UK rights I'm afraid.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1420233)   #24
jump
Rookie

England
West London
jump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good pic that mate.
Old 6 Oct 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1425115)   #25
mctshirt
Racer

New Zealand
The Land Of The Long Wide Bum
mctshirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
No. Grand Prix racing, F1 or whatever it will be called in the future, will be top dog.
The A1-GP is a great idea and has had very clever marketing. It will receive tremendous coverage in the winter months when no other racing is happening and despite the hype on the TV and in the daily press, it is not the new F1. It was never intended to be, despite claims of 'Grand Prix racing returns to Brands Hatch'. The best engineers and designers in the business work in F1 to make their cars go faster, not working on an off-the-shelf 'one make' kit car.
It is basically F3000 in a frilly dress and receiving the marketing that F3000 should have had. The nation thing is a good idea to attract interest, as 46,000 spectators at Brands will testify. But it needs top drivers and they will always go to the pinnacle where the motor manufacturers can pay them top dollar.
...and A1-GP does not have Monaco, one of the three most famous races in the world.
But it will succeed in it's own marketplace no doubt and provide employment for many in the winter. But F1 it isn't!
I agree with you 100% Andrew but there's a bigger picture.

A1GP cannot replace F1. Formula 1 is the pinnacle of chassis/engine construction in the world of motorsport and will always attract drivers, mechanics, engineers, etc. who want to work at being the best in the world in motorsport. As you can appreciate it has only been ever increasing financial reward since the sixties...I believe Jackie Stewart was one of the first drivers to stick his hand out in a big way to drive a Formula 1 car. Bernie has turned the sport into a circus requiring very large amounts of money to continue the way it does. This is where A1GP comes in...what happens if A1GP snowballs into the spectacle the hype would have us believe it will?

All the tons of money that previously was poured into F1 from TV coverage, sponsorship, track/promoter fees, etc. is slowly but surely sucked away to A1GP leaving the circus if it hasn't split into 2 or 3 parts (depending on who's fighting with who) high and financially dry and still boring to watch. This is a very big ''if" I'll grant you but I believe it is what the great unwashed are referring to when they say A1GP will take over F1. The anoraks will know F1 is the top dog but mum, dad and the kids and their disposable income will be at the A1GP if the promoters get it right.

F3000 in a frilly dress it may be but what's to stop A1GP changing it's dress as long as everyones got the same one (so it can't be F1). In the future it may attract talent on the way up or down depending on the state of F1. Some may stay if they get to be a good enough demi-god. Monaco is historic but it is nothing more than a shopfront for F1 these days. Monaco will never see the glory days of Fangio again...to call the modern Monaco Gp important is to hark back to a past when the old Nurburgring was considered safe enough and Spa didn't need a bus stop. Time will tell but if Formula 1 wants to keep it's cash cow away from A1GP it better start having more than one interesting race a year.