Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 12 Dec 2005, 06:55 (Ref:1482085)   #1
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Best Value low-ish budget sports car?

I am searching for a replacement car for my current 1999 Boxster 2.5. What is your opinion on the best sports car built since 1990 that you can buy used for under £30k GBP ($100k AUD)? (or even just something very cool, like the Porsche 356)

I have driven (or owned) the following in my research:

Audi- 1999 S4, 1995 S2, 2000 TT (180bhp), 1993 Coupe
BMW- 1999 Z3 2.8, 2005 Z4 2.5, 2002 328i
Ferrari- 1982 308, 1994 348 Spyder (LHD)
Jaguar- 1997 XK8 (lots of problems, spent months at the dealers)
Mercedes- 1994 SL320, 1997 SLK, 1999 CLK
Mini- 2005 Cooper, 2005 Cooper S
Porsche- 1999 Boxster 2.5, 1998 996 Carrera 2, 1999 996 Carrera Cabrio, 2000 996 Carrera 4, 1989 911 3.2 Carrera, 1996 993 RS (Cat D repaired)
Saab- 1993 900 Turbo Cabrio, 9-3 Cabrio
VW- 1989 Golf GTi Cabrio, 1996 Golf GTi

Cars I wanted to try but couldn't get my hands on:

Aston Martin- DB7, anything else under 30k excluding the Lagonda
Audi- S3, RS4 or 6, S8, TT (225bhp with DSG)
BMW- M3, M5, 540i, 850i
Ferrari- 328, 348, 456 (possibly early LHD F355)
Lotus- Exige, Elise, Esprit
Merc- New shape SL350 or SLK, 1950's 280SL
Nissan- 350Z (went to dealers, they wouldn't let me drive one, even though I arrived in my Boxster and am over 30!)
Porsche- Boxster 3.2S, Boxster 987, Cayman, 356 (I know these are old before anyone points it out)
TVR- Any post 1993 model
VW- Golf R32
Any cool pre-1970 FIA spec, race-prepared, road legal classic, eg Alpine A110, Lotus Elan.

Any other recommendations or caveats, especially from someone who owns any of the cars in my 'Would like to try' category?
I'd prefer something European and non-modified. Not really into the MitSubaruline GTO EVO VIII WRX GTI type of things.
The car does not need to be practical, I never really take more than 2 people in the car and not much luggage.

(Alternatively, if theres anyone out there that owns one of these things in the NSW / Sydney area and is interested in a temporary / permanent swap, let me know.)
Old 12 Dec 2005, 09:10 (Ref:1482144)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What about the mad and eccentric M coupe? You could get one well within budget and it sure looks different from anything else?
Old 12 Dec 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1482259)   #3
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
Thats true. Will try to give one a whirl, but you don't find many for sale in Oz. (although a neighbour has one!)
Old 12 Dec 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1482604)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, when i grow up i'm gonna have one of those. they're completely bonkers.
i'd like a go in a 330ci, i think they could be a lot of fun, but i'd say they're probably a bit low on power/looks for you?

suggest beg borrowing or stealing a golf r32. how hard did you look for one? i had the predecessor and, well. you can't get a great deal better than a v6 engine. except possibly a v8.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1482678)   #5
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you should have kept that it was so you bella.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 09:03 (Ref:1482912)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I had Thirty Large to splash on a motor car, I'd be choosing between 911s, either a top notch 993 or a cooking 996 depending on what you can get within budget locally.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1483007)   #7
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
I can just afford a 1998 996 cabrio with around 80,000km for this kind of money in Sydney. 993's are about the same price, and old 964 / 911 are around 20k. But I've kind of been there before, was looking for something a bit different.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1483432)   #8
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've driven quite a few of the ones you couldn't get your hands one, so I'll give you my verdict on them:
Aston DB7: More desirable than an XK8, but not as good ( and I also know a bloke who's had his XK8 in the garage for the past 2 months), plus servicing on them is quite horrendous. Hold off for another 12 months and you'll probably be able to get a DB7 Vantage for the budget...
Audi S3: they had these when I worked at Palmer Sport, but they got rid of them as they were using 2 sets of pads and a set of discs EVERY DAY!!! That said, it was a track day event, I'm sure they might last a bit longer on an everyday car!
Audi RS4: A good laugh, but not much feedback: you'd be dissapointed after the Porsche, but at least you can get the dog in the boot!
I'm yet to try an RS6, but I've heard good things. Apprently still poor on feedback from the wheel though.
Audi S8: Haven't driven one of these, but have tried the new A8 4.2. Was really dissapointed, despite the fact that the new one is supposed to be much better than the old one.
Audi TT: Could never bring myself to try one of these: they are apparently very good, but far too common for my liking.
BMW M3: I bombed around in one of these while I was in Hong Kong last year and it was phenomenal. It had the SMG gearbox which was brilliant, and the brakes were so good that you had to wear your seatbelt unless you wanted to go through the windscreen!
BMW M5: 400bhp. Say no more!
BMW 540i: Stick a £4k blower on it and you have a half price M5 (with optional auto box)
BMW 850i: Loads of car for the money, very rare, way ahead of it's time, underappreciated. My type of car!
Ferrari 328: Do you really want to drive a car that's almost 20 years old?
Ferrari 348: Horrible.
Ferrari 456: £7k for a new bonnet. £60k for a new engine. And they weren't much good til the 456M appeared.
Ferrari 355: They were in a new league with this one, but it still had an Italian driving position. The build quality is shocking if you are used to a Porsche too. (I have an mpeg of a mates 360 spider operating the roof: it'd put you off Ferraris for life!)
Lotus Exige: I almost became a soprano trying to get into one of these when it was wet once... gets very hot in there though, even in England in the winter!
Lotus Elise: your budget allows for the MKII, cracking car, ideal for Sydney I reckon. Fiddly roof though, when you have to put it on.
Lotus Esprit: The first ones must be almost 30 years old, and even the last ones were very unreliable. Good when they worked though.
Merc SL350: new shape is a nice looking car, but do you want people seeing that you've bought the entry level engine? Build quality isn't what it was.
Merc SLK: Old shape far too common and a bit poo. New shape much better, but similar build quality problems. Also MB customer service is diabolical over here, dunno if it's any better down your way?
Merc 280SL (1950s): Gorgeous, classy, rare. Not a very sporty car though, and if you need parts it could bankrupt you!
Nissan 350Z: A mate bought a GT4 edition and hates it. He says it has a lot of chassis movement under braking. It's currently up for sale, he's decided to keep the Impreza that it was supposed to replace. Interior is really cheap on the Nissan too.
Porsche Boxster 3.2S: you know the boxster already, and a head to head revealed that the S is faster, and handles better than the entry level (and considerably more expensive) 911.
Cayman: doubt you'd find one of these for your budget for a few months yet.
356: Cool. Very cool. And with all the VW parts on it, should be cheap to maintain too.
TVR: I have a soft spot for TVRs, people say they are a nightmare, but owners say they are fine, as long as you keep to the serviceing religiously. Griffith was a beast, love it! Chimera a bit common (by TVR standards), but underneath same as Griffith. I love the Cerbera, recommend a Speed Six for the engine note, although it gets very hot inside these (has an air vent on the steering wheel, but doesn't work very well). Tuscan I didn't like so much, but never quite pin pointed why. T350 I love, as it's tiny, looks fantastic in Red Bull blue, and can be classed as a hatchback... But if you have a clean license I don't recommend any TVR, as it won't be clean for long!
Haven't tried the R32 or the classics so couldn't comment.
With the Bentley Continental GT being fashionable at the mo, the old 93-96 Continental can be had for slightly over your budget. In todays money a new one would cost £300k, so they are a bargain, and build quality is superb.
Haven't checked how much Porsche Cayennes are fetching at the mo, but the turbo version was quicker around Bedford than an M3...
You can pick up the new shape Merc CL for your budget, also Jag XJR V8
Old 13 Dec 2005, 21:06 (Ref:1483434)   #9
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Crikey, that was a long one!
Old 13 Dec 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1483468)   #10
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
Great, many thanks for that analysis Pete, gives me something to do this weekend!
Old 15 Dec 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1484927)   #11
Daf_Loz
Rookie

Daf_Loz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteconnors
Audi S3: they had these when I worked at Palmer Sport, but they got rid of them as they were using 2 sets of pads and a set of discs EVERY DAY!!! That said, it was a track day event, I'm sure they might last a bit longer on an everyday car!
It was the S4s that were very brake component hungry, that's one of the reasons they were swapped to S3s.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 22:39 (Ref:1485032)   #12
Unleashed
Rookie

South Africa
Norwich, Norfolk, England (also ex RSA)
Unleashed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes E55 AMG, C43 AMG, CLK55 AMG, CL55 AMG?
Sorry, I love AMG Mercs.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 03:28 (Ref:1485614)   #13
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is a E46 M3 (used maybe) in your budget? I drove around a 320i for a day that I was working on, I liked it alot. They seem to be built, and drive alot nicer than the brand of Euro Prestige that we sell. I imagine that an M3 would be alot better again. THe quality of components and how it was put togeth under the bonnet looked alot better too.

And since when is $100k a low budget? :P

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 17 Dec 2005, 06:16 (Ref:1485631)   #14
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr69
Is a E46 M3 (used maybe) in your budget?
Is the E46 the 1999 - 2003 model? Thats a nice car, although I am not a huge BMW fan. I prefer Mercs if I was to get a German sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr69
And since when is $100k a low budget? :P
$100k is relatively low when you are no longer having to feed an F3 car and its associated posse!
Old 17 Dec 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1485756)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmot
you should have kept that it was so you bella.
(sorry for hijacking the thread but..)
no, the car didn't deserve the amount of miles i do. it'd have done it's 100,000th this year if i'd have kept it. i've done something really naughty like 25,000 in my current car this year.

i'd not recommend a lotus unless it's your second car. the practicality issues are huge...
Old 17 Dec 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1485759)   #16
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
i'd not recommend a lotus unless it's your second car. the practicality issues are huge...
Sports cars aren't meant to be practical!
Old 17 Dec 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1485790)   #17
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
The E46 is the 1999-2004 shape, just been looking around, I reckon you'd have a CSL in your budget if you wait another few months...
GTR: The thread does say low-ish... everyting is comparable: I was looking at a Boeing 747 the other day thinking: blimey that's cheap, as it was only $5million US. Comparitively it was, coz you could have 10 used 747s for the price of a new Learjet... although I decided to pass this time. lol!!
Old 7 Jan 2006, 00:26 (Ref:1496557)   #18
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
Well, thanks for all the advice everyone, I just signed the paperwork to buy a 2002 Porsche 996 Carrera Cabriolet with 70k km on the clock. Bought from a car wholesalers in Sydney at (almost) cost price as they wanted to shift it today, so it just squeezed into my budget. They retail here for about $30k AUD more than I paid, so I am very pleased.

Just need to sell the old car now...
Old 4 Feb 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1515657)   #19
Edgar Jessop
Rookie

Edgar Jessop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella

You'd be amazed how practical they can be when they're your only car!! ... but if you're thinking of any Elise derivative I'd recommend a Vauxhall VX220 for [slightly] better practicality, much better torque and roadability and notably cheaper puchase and running prices ... not to mention inverted anti-badge snobbery, better aesthetics [kids all point and shout] and an enthusiastic, friendly and helpful gang of owners.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 23:55 (Ref:1522220)   #20
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say, the new MX5 looks very nice with it's new cosmetic updates.
The local mazda dealer has a lovely "Subaru Blue" one outside.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1525404)   #21
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But then again a nice white MGA would be good.