slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whither Wurz?

OK. It's Friday, so where's Alex going?
Old 16 Dec 2005, 14:16 (Ref:1485317)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Christmas shopping?
Old 16 Dec 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1485322)   #3
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Down the pub ?
Old 16 Dec 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1485339)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would imagine he will go to BMW as third driver - why?

1. It opens up the possibility of a race drive in 2007 - something that is very unlikely at McLaren.

2. De la Rosa is doing a good job at McLaren and for a lot less money I would imagine.

3. As they have PDLR - McLaren can afford to run a less experienced driver in the 2nd test car.

4. Paffett and Hamilton are waiting in the wings as the next breed of test driver for McLaren. Paffett has heavy 'emotional' backing from Mercedes as their lead DTM driver and Champion, Hamilton has been with McLaren since the year dot and after all that investment in him, they will surely have to run him in F1.

5. Taking into account all of the above, if I were Wurz I would move onto pastures new whilst they were on offer.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1485341)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My thoughts exactly ST.

He'd be mad not to move to BMW.

It's amazing to think how long Wurz has been in the shadows......five years as McLaren reserve material, amazing for a driver of his talent.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1485346)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
whatever happened with Wurz needing a special car to drive because he is so tall. im not sure that this is a real problem if the car was originally designed for someone his height - like with williams and webber, but is this even something BMW can manage at this stage of their development?
Old 16 Dec 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1485359)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It's not hard.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1485370)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it may not be hard but it costs money and time.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1485374)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Around 2 weeks and $500 000-$750 000 for a redesigned tub iirc.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1485414)   #10
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wonder if Champ Car would be more suitable for him although I'm not sure if the same issues would be present there. I reckon there are not many F1 teams willing to redesign a cockpit for a driver unless he is of supreme talent (for many reasons). Wurz must be thoroughly disgusted that his physical stature is holding him back in a land full of jockeys.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1485584)   #11
alf
Racer

alf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
My thoughts exactly ST.

amazing for a driver of his talent.
thanks for that, i was realy grumpy when i logged on. best laugh i've had in ages.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 00:03 (Ref:1485587)   #12
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I wonder if Champ Car would be more suitable for him although I'm not sure if the same issues would be present there. I reckon there are not many F1 teams willing to redesign a cockpit for a driver unless he is of supreme talent (for many reasons). Wurz must be thoroughly disgusted that his physical stature is holding him back in a land full of jockeys.
Justin Wilson is quite tall too!
Old 20 Dec 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1487294)   #13
slicktoast
Veteran

Well the signing of Kubica partly answers the question. Will Alex be satisfied to continue earning a tidy salary testing or could he move to sports cars so he could race?
Old 20 Dec 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1487304)   #14
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He would have to bring a budget to a sportscar team unless he was signed by Audi, Porsche or Peugeot and he might be too expensive for all of them.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 23:35 (Ref:1487718)   #15
alf
Racer

why would he be expensive, he is a TEST driver and nothing more. read my lips and remember where you heard it first and many months ago, Wurtz will NEVER race a front line F1 car again, I recomend you find a new F1 hero, those who are holding at for the elusive press conference announcing Alex's deal with Ferrari / Mc Laren/ Renault et al. probably would be ok in sports cars, why not, but he aint no F1 racer as he proved when he had his chance.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 23:42 (Ref:1487724)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
His name is Wurz, not Wurtz.

As for him "not being an F1 racer", he could have had a creditable career - but took the sensible move of being paid handsomely to drive for a top team in a testing role.

He must be good, Ron wouldn't have kept him for 5 years otherwise.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 23:58 (Ref:1487736)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That post just smacks of bad attitude, alf.

Alex performed quite good at Benetton in the years he raced for them iirc, and would certainly be good enough to command a place on the current grid IMO.

And no, he's not my hero...
Old 21 Dec 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1488017)   #18
slicktoast
Veteran

Since Gary is in and Alex is still in negotiations w/ Mc M-B;
a) He could still test for them in some capacity.
b) There just aren't any other F1 offers.
c) He's switching to M-B DTM where there's no problem fitting in.
d) He's off w/ Lance touring on their bikes.

Feel free to add e) and so on...
Old 21 Dec 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1488048)   #19
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
There could be a vacancy at Renault in 2007, but, to be honest, I can't imagine Wurz is topping many people's lists. He's good, but there are a lot of good drivers out there.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1488157)   #20
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bahrain was his first race since 2000, he had to qualify first and he claimed seventh on the grid ahead of a podium finish - it was about as good as anyone could have asked for, and proof that there are a lot of good drivers not racing in F1.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1488374)   #21
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't realy rate the guy and i certainly don't think he is worth as much as he is being payed. Delarosa is a much better and usefull pilot and as it was said before for a lot less (we pressume) sp?
Old 21 Dec 2005, 22:28 (Ref:1488394)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

How long have you been watching F1, Dan?
Old 21 Dec 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1488414)   #23
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wurz struggled against Fisichella once given the Benetton seat for 1998-2000. He had the occasional strong showing, but i dare say that his lackluster form showed in those years didnt help his cause.

The only 'great' memory i have have Wurz is when he filled in for Gehard Berger in the Benetton Renault in 1997. He put in some great drives during those three races (however, remember the 1997 was a race winning car that season whereas the 1998-2000 Benetton was not).

At the end of 2000 if i recall correctly with the Benetton signing on Jenson Button, Wurz was left with few options. Im sure he could have found himself in a Jordan race seat after Heinz-Harald was sacked during 2001, or could have landed a role with other midfield teams such as Sauber, Arrows, or even Prost.

He made a decision, and a hard one to make. Do i trundle around the middle to back of the grid in a average car (Sauber, Arrows, BAR, Jordan?) or do i take a large pay cheque from Mercedes and test for McLaren. If i remember correctly Panis tested for McLaren for a season, and then landed a drive at BAR alongside Villeneuve.

Unfortunately for Alex, his desire to earn a solid pay cheque may be more important then lining up on the grid.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1488876)   #24
alf
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
That post just smacks of bad attitude, alf.

Alex performed quite good at Benetton in the years he raced for them iirc, and would certainly be good enough to command a place on the current grid IMO.

And no, he's not my hero...

Ok sorry for spelling Wurz wrong. but its got nothing to do with attitude, and everything to do with facts, Wurz only ever raced well in other peoples cars and as is stated above, Panis took a year off and landed a Toyota ride next term.. 5 years later Wurz is still a tester. Ron probably keeps him because with him he has a bench mark, which must be better than getting ( and training) a new tester every year, which I guess is inevitable, with new "ambicious" young bucks appearing on the scene every year. Wurz clearly isn't going any where and so keeps a well paying job as a tester,smart move, good luck to him I dont buy into the "take the money and run" too much, or if its true it proves my point that he aint no F1 RACER I conceded that he was probably ok as a sports car driver, but thats a different gig.
I am stagered that you find it bad attitude as I am entitled to my oppinion, as are you, and from the posts above some seem to agree with me, so lets just say our bit and not get personal eh I have a great attitude and to prove it have a merry christmass, ( and ALEX )
Old 22 Dec 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1488954)   #25
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
How long have you been watching F1, Dan?
Long enough to know that Wurz's years at beneton were not worthy of a seat on the current grid as you said before. The only year he beat his team mate was in 1998 and the next two years he was stuffed by Fisy. I might be young but it doesn't mean i dont follow the sport closely!