Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1486541)   #1
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso at McLaren in 07!

See here - can anyone shed any more light on this
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1486542)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is definitely happening - it's just been announced by McLaren.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1486543)   #3
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso signs for Mclaren!

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16045.html

Alonso versus Raikkonen in the same car..?
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1486544)   #4
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess so and I'm sure there's no prizes for guessing where either. One would also have to ask what does Fernando know about Renault's plans for the future.

Edit: Referring here to K-B's now edited-out point saying Kimi might be on his way.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1486545)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's an email from McLaren's press office:

WORLD CHAMPION FERNANDO ALONSO SECURES VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES DRIVE

Woking, Great Britain, Monday 19th December 2005: The 2005 Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso and Vodafone McLaren Mercedes will be joining forces for the 2007 Formula One season. Today's announcement comes only five days after Vodafone and McLaren Mercedes confirmed Vodafone's title sponsorship effective from January 2007 and forms an important part of the team's long term strategic partnership.

"Its great that our strong belief in the strength and competitiveness of the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes package has been further endorsed by the World Champion," said Ron Dennis, Team Principal and Chairman and CEO of the McLaren Group. "We always make it clear that we want to be the best and the only way of achieving this objective is by attracting the best people, the best drivers and the best sponsors. To be able to announce Vodafone as only McLaren's third title partner in more than 30 years and Fernando's employment within only a few days is fantastic news for the team, our Partners, Formula One and the fans."

"We are in discussions with our current drivers' Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya regarding the 2007 season," continues Ron Dennis. "Both Juan Pablo and Kimi are extremely talented, professional and competitive Formula One drivers and they have and will continue to concentrate on our joint challenge for the Championships."

"Fernando and McLaren Mercedes wanted to make the announcement as soon as possible in a controlled and professional manner to allow McLaren Mercedes, Fernando, Kimi and Juan Pablo to focus on the preparations for the 2006 season," states Ron Dennis. "Our aim for next year remains absolutely clear to everybody within the team – we want to win races and be in a position where we might have two Formula One World Champions driving for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes in 2007."

"We are pleased to welcome Fernando to the team and look forward to working both with him and our new title sponsor in 2007," said Norbert Haug, Vice-President, Mercedes-Benz Motorsport. "To have a World Champion joining the team is a great endorsement and will create a tremendous amount of excitement. However for now our focus must remain on the 2006 season where we want to go one better than we did in 2005."

"To become part of a team with such a desire to succeed and passion for performance is a dream come true for any Formula One driver," said 2005 Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso. "I'm very excited about 2007 and the fantastic opportunity to drive for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes. It will be a new beginning for me and a tremendous challenge and from what I have heard about this exciting new Partnership there is something to look forward to. Obviously I will be sad to leave Renault but sometimes possibilities come along which are just too good to miss. I'm pleased that we are able to make this announcement already now as it will allow my current team and I to focus 100 per cent on defending the World Championships next year."
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:19 (Ref:1486550)   #6
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring it on.....

So can we assume one or more of the following is true:

1. Renault are, as rumour suggests exiting F1 in the near future?
2. Kimi has or is about to sign for another team?
3. Or Monty is out of Mclaren at end of 06 contract?

hhmmmmm......fuel for thought.

They managed to keep it nice a quiet until today...well done.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1486552)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

My view is that Ron has realised Montoya will never have the consistency to be the "real deal" so he's moved to ensure the two best available drivers (FA and KR) will be in his cars.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1486553)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
My view is that Ron has realised Montoya will never have the consistency to be the "real deal" so he's moved to ensure the two best available drivers (FA and KR) will be in his cars.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1486554)   #9
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
... Or Kimi is off to the red team.

I guess rumors will now be rife about Kimi, JPM and Renaults future plans.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1486556)   #10
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
amazing. That means he´s breaking up with telefonica (vodafone rival), who has supported him for many years...
I did expect ferrari, not mclaren...
Raikkonen at ferrari 2007?
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1486558)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I didn't see that one coming, questions where now for Renault, Kimi or JPM to Ferrari to replace Schumacher ?
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1486559)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
... Or Kimi is off to the red team.

I guess rumors will now be rife about Kimi, JPM and Renaults future plans.
I wouldn't be going to the red team in 2007,not unless the fab 3 are still there.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1486560)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just read it from F1racing.net and Grandprix.com.

A little bit surprising and sudden. There wasn't any indication that Alonso would be Mclaren bound although there have been words of Alonso leaving Renault in 2007.

But in any case, it would be a good catch for Mclaren.

One thing though is that this enforces the possibility of Kimi to Ferrari. The timing all suggest just that, and Michael has probably already noticed Ferrari that he would be departing/retiring.

Unless it's Juan leaving after Ron being less than satisfied with his performance last season?

But very ron, to announce their decision one year in advance.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1486562)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kimi to Ferrari, then.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1486563)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Flavio being Flavio, I wouldn't be surprised if he hits the roof over this, and a deal is done so that Alonso is in a McLaren in 2006.

Montoya and Fisi at Renault!
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1486564)   #16
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Kimi to Ferrari, then.
Exactly my thought! I don't think Raikkonen and Alonso will run against each other in the same car. Dennis has enough bad experience with two champions in his team.

I think Dennis knows more than we do.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1486566)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Precisely pinguest.

Still, I can't understand why Alonso has done this at all.

I'd personally be terrified of moving from Flavs (world championship winning) team to a strong rival!
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1486567)   #18
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's Flavio, Alonso's manager?
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:42 (Ref:1486569)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Flavio being Flavio, I wouldn't be surprised if he hits the roof over this, and a deal is done so that Alonso is in a McLaren in 2006.

Montoya and Fisi at Renault!
Quite possibly.

Maybe Alonso could be out of a drive, even!

Nah, he'll still be there I'm sure.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1486571)   #20
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Precisely pinguest.

I'd personally be terrified of moving from Flavs (world championship winning) team to a strong rival!
It won't be good for the relationship between Renault en Alonso at all. He might have wasted his number 1 position now. This could weaken his chance of winning the world championship in 2006, I think.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1486572)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Maybe Fisi's car will suddenly be quicker.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1486574)   #22
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If Renault pull out -- that's one more F1 team gone - down to 18 cars perhaps in 2007 if no new team becomes a reality.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1486576)   #23
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Maybe Fisi's car will suddenly be quicker.
That wouldn't surprise me much.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1486577)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:

I'd suggest that the personal remuneration available from the combined resource of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes outweighs that from Renault.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1486578)   #25
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
If Renault pull out -- that's one more F1 team gone - down to 18 cars perhaps in 2007 if no new team becomes a reality.
Why would Renault pull out. It has just won the WDC.