Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belgian Grand Prix is off

Apparently the Belgian Grand prix is no longer going to take place this year

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=107686
Old 20 Jan 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1505118)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

I knew this would happen, whenever Bernie says he'll do something, he does the exact opposite.
Good riddance, now let's get some real racing on Spa-Francorchamps!
Old 20 Jan 2006, 11:56 (Ref:1505158)   #3
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Old 20 Jan 2006, 12:00 (Ref:1505161)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
We've seen this sort of thing before though, is it 'off' or 'off until Bernie squeezes some more cash out of the situation'? "Talks are ongoing" so there's still a chance it'll happen.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 12:11 (Ref:1505168)   #5
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There will have to be fewer european GP's in a year to allow all the "new" non european GP's in. I think unfortunately (and I love Spa) this is something we are going to have to get used to.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1505181)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No chance that Spa will return to the calendar.
In any case, I'm not sad to see the back of him, or his overpriced circus.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1505188)   #7
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sad that Spa will not happen this year. It is a wonderful track and races are always exciting, eventhough I am no Ferrari or TGF fan.

It seems that as time goes by, European GP's will diminish and we have to get used to waking up early in the morning, cause Eastern countries are taking over bit by bit.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1505216)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got no problem with losing some of the duller European tracks, but Spa really should have been preserved, it's a classic racetrack and always produces thrilling races. And the attendances are surely better than in countries were a ticket costs a week's wages?
Old 20 Jan 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1505219)   #9
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why can't it be Magny Cours?

This is a shame.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1505221)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
attendances are surely better than in countries were a ticket costs a week's wages?
Attendances aren't important in the overall scheme of things (to Bernie, the manufacturers etc) - what is important is the TV figures. By having more races in 'new' regions the sport is opened up to a wider TV audience. What's the average attendance for a GP? 100,000? What's the average TV viewing figure? X million?

The loss of Spa is not good though, it's one of the classic circuits.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1505234)   #11
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was planing my trip this year, It's the round I've always wanted to go to most
Old 20 Jan 2006, 16:48 (Ref:1505347)   #12
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's very bad news. F1 is slowly turning into a championship with loads of drab tracks in it. What if Suzuka ends up going too?
Old 20 Jan 2006, 16:57 (Ref:1505357)   #13
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
think some threads need merging, but i'll say it again anyway. It's NOT off, it's just rumour from one belgian politician - according to pitpass anyway - and i tend to believe them more than other sources where F1 is concerned...

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=26906
Old 20 Jan 2006, 17:43 (Ref:1505406)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whether its off or not, this constant messing around with classic, well loved events is not on.

It shows a complete lack of respect for the fans of the sport.

Take short term big bucks form middle/far eastern venues, at the expense of classic venues, at your peril.

There are plenty up and coming series busting a gut to give motorsport fans what they want.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1505412)   #15
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope it's not true, but wouldn't be at all suprised if it was. Absolute pants!

I am willing to except that we will lose some European events - F1 is supposed to be a World Championship after all - but shouldn't the best drivers in the best racing cars in the world race on the best tracks? Of course, that's a naive question as it's the money and politics which really determines such decisions...
Old 20 Jan 2006, 17:56 (Ref:1505415)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Losing spa is a disaster in my eyes, one of the last few "drivers" circuits.
The 2006 championship is worth less with Spa out.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 18:01 (Ref:1505419)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
think some threads need merging, but i'll say it again anyway. It's NOT off, it's just rumour from one belgian politician - according to pitpass anyway - and i tend to believe them more than other sources where F1 is concerned...

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=26906
That belgian politician, Serge Kubla, had his info from various sources close to Ecclestone, according to our news agencies.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1505425)   #18
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917
I hope it's not true, but wouldn't be at all suprised if it was. Absolute pants!

I am willing to except that we will lose some European events - F1 is supposed to be a World Championship after all - but shouldn't the best drivers in the best racing cars in the world race on the best tracks? Of course, that's a naive question as it's the money and politics which really determines such decisions...
I agree and I think if this continues fans are going to vote with their feet.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 18:30 (Ref:1505432)   #19
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hm won't be good if it goes for good, GP there is mega but I think Bernie's squeezing....

quote from that pitpass article "53% of fans said their interest in F1 would decrease if Spa were to be removed" is rubbish. one classic, uber GP off but over half the fans losing interest in F1 because of it? hm, don't think that's quite right....
Old 20 Jan 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1505437)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interest would decrease, yes. The key is to what degree in understanding that. It does not mean 53% less people watching it. My interest would decrease.

Overall this is terrible. Although it hasn't been confirmed yet and a 'Spa is off' story happens every year! However it doesn't look good. It may just be threat first. Who knows. In addition we have no real idea how this came about yet.

Fingers crossed for now...
Old 20 Jan 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1505445)   #21
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes, can see the interest decreasing but by 53%? nope, don't see that one happening.

agree overall it is terrible - it is one of the few "classic" circuits left so to lose it will / could be gutting.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 18:52 (Ref:1505447)   #22
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This is awful news
Old 20 Jan 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1505458)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Man, it is most crappy if it turns out to happen.

Suze, I think you need to take Adam's point on-board.

I think Adam feels, as I do, that the 53% losing interest is not meant to be taken as "53% cutting off from the sport". It means 53% of people would not be as interested, but that does not transalte to all the said 53% not watching the sport.

For example, if F1 decided to use penalty-ballast. That would **** me off a great deal, indeed it would "decrease my interest", which, for me, is interchangable with "decerase my satisfaction", but it wouldn't stop me watching it.

Indeed, the removal of Spa decreases my interest: by that, I mean it is one positive thing taken out of the equation.

It would never make me consider not watching the sport, not even for a milisecond. I suppose it all comes down to interpretations of what words and phrases are meaning.

53% losing some interest does not mean 53% not watching anymore.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1505464)   #24
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My guess is that ultimately we'll see alternating European GP's so that Spa will get a go say every other year and ditto a number of the other Euro tracks that don't play the game in the way that is required. This maintains the fanbase in those countries but allows more GP's in emerging markets which pleases the sponsors.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1505467)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps that is the best solution.