Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Feb 2006, 02:14 (Ref:1517715)   #1
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
Vanilla Dice has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Auto Action - Staffed By Fools??

Having read this week's excuse for a motoring magazing... I was again horrified at the laziness of their reporting.

The AA staffers are all very excited about Perkins' new Commodore paintjob (gee all black, how hard is that??) but the thing that gets up my nose.. is they mention not once but twice, that Perkins and Jack Daniels are "...pioneers in alcohol sponsorship of motorsport..."

Which conveniently forgets title sponsor Victoria Bitter, the 5 years or so the Sirromet Wines car has been on the grid, the Tooheys 1000 amongst others

Do the copywriters at Auto Action just regurgitate the press reports from the teams and call them their own work?

Sure seems like it to me.

I would love to see the likes of the Reverend Limiter, who has posted here before, have a clever comeback to that.

Lazy, Lazy... Not Good Enough!!

666 posts... over... and OUT..!
Old 8 Feb 2006, 03:11 (Ref:1517737)   #2
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm I seem to recall a certain Melbourne race track promoter who used to run some real Southern type sponsorship on his F5000 back in the mid 70's.

Yep - sure - pioneer sponsorship all right.

But what else can you expect from such a young bunch of so-called 'journalists'?
Old 8 Feb 2006, 03:18 (Ref:1517741)   #3
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
That they hire apprentices fresh out of school because they are cheap does not excuse regurgitating press releases.

It would be fun playing Trivial Pursuit in the Auto Fiction office, any event that happened before 1985 would be immediately consigned to the Ancient History category

Not good enough Auto Fiction. A waste of my $5.20 (I couldnt nick Wes' copy this week).

Old 8 Feb 2006, 03:27 (Ref:1517743)   #4
HRT433
Racer

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
HRT433 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sooo.....

if you (and others on this forum that constanty winge about it) don't like what they produce then don't spend your $5.20 on it...simple...

they are obviously doing somthing right, cuase you keep buying/reading it despite how horrible you say it is....
Old 8 Feb 2006, 03:29 (Ref:1517744)   #5
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Reading it and buying it are two completely different things that don;t always go together.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 03:33 (Ref:1517745)   #6
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Dice

Do the copywriters at Auto Action just regurgitate the press reports from the teams and call them their own work?

!
Yes, and so do most other journos. The Courier Mail weekly column by Gordon Lomas usually has an air of deja vu about it...

The other thing that gets on my wick is the absolute drivel that is presented as a press release...( eg "Great Result for Team X last weekend, with a fighting 28th place..."). Thanks to the wonders of the internet, it seems anyone who has completed a primary school education can whack out some self serving piece of twaddle and, chances are, someone, somewhere, will pick it up and run with it.

Oh, and I think the Coopers Ute team might have a few thoughts on the "pioneer" aspect. Maybe even Alfie Costanzo, who was sponsored by Stock 84 brandy about 25 or so years ago....
Old 8 Feb 2006, 03:57 (Ref:1517754)   #7
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Brett Stevens - he has recieved a significant amount of sponsorship over many years from some alcohol company - oh, thats right - Jack Daniels!
Old 8 Feb 2006, 04:05 (Ref:1517757)   #8
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete60
Maybe even Alfie Costanzo, who was sponsored by Stock 84 brandy about 25 or so years ago....
That started just after Davo had his Southern Comfort sponsorship - Alf's would be from about 78/79 I think.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 04:11 (Ref:1517760)   #9
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
All this and more from what they proudly (yet no doubt wrongly!) boast as "Australia's Number One Motor Racing Magazine" on the front cover.

I think that mantle may have shifted to Australian Muscle Car.. or CWA Weekly.. anything but Auto Fiction.

Yes I bought my copy this week, usually I flog someone else's edition. My fault, should have known better.

Factual errors are just not good enough for a coverstory!

Old 8 Feb 2006, 04:52 (Ref:1517783)   #10
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good call Vanilla D. Many of the AA staff journos would still have been in nappies in 1985, so theres a lack of experience. I know Ive said it before but thats why I dumped them a while back but continue to buy Motorsport News. MN is intelligent, intresting, under 6 bucks a fortnight and usually correct with its news. As in another thread recently, AA is doomed IMO.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 05:01 (Ref:1517784)   #11
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't the Coppins/Richards L34 carrying Southern Comfort sponsorship in 1974 at Bathurst?
Old 8 Feb 2006, 07:36 (Ref:1517818)   #12
Crowestar
Racer

Australia
Crowestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was. Great looking car too!!!
Old 8 Feb 2006, 07:46 (Ref:1517824)   #13
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the jist of the story was the first V8SC to have naming right sponsorship.

I dont know if they are staffed by idiots, but no doubt owned by a company interested in circulation.............
Old 8 Feb 2006, 07:54 (Ref:1517828)   #14
thirty4
Rookie

Australia
Newcastle
thirty4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No mention on why Castrol is absent either. I was under the impession that Castrol was staying on as a supplier like Shell did with DJR.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1517957)   #15
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is not new news coming from AF bunker, AF is slow going down the great big s-bend slowly
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 8 Feb 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1518043)   #16
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bundaberg Rum have been an intermitent sponsor of Peter Janson's.

Then there was the three car Wild Turkey NASCAR team at the Thunderdome.

XXXX sponsored Paul Romano and Wally Lewis' HQ Holdens a few years back.

And wait a minute - weren't Inner Circle Rum a sponsor of Team Dodo (nee Lansvale) the past two seasons?
Old 8 Feb 2006, 13:18 (Ref:1518053)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The more this is discussed by us everyday people, the more embarassing this becomes for AA.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1518369)   #18
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
XXXX was an ATCC round sponsor in the early to mid 1980's too.. the logo appeared on the cars at that Lakeside meeting...

Didnt Swan Brewery sponsor Wayne Gardner a long time ago...

"they said you couldnt make it, but you finally came thru, this Swan's made for yooouuuu!!"

Old 9 Feb 2006, 00:13 (Ref:1518455)   #19
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Dice
The AA staffers are all very excited about Perkins' new Commodore paintjob (gee all black, how hard is that??) but the thing that gets up my nose.. is they mention not once but twice, that Perkins and Jack Daniels are "...pioneers in alcohol sponsorship of motorsport..."

Which conveniently forgets title sponsor Victoria Bitter, the 5 years or so the Sirromet Wines car has been on the grid, the Tooheys 1000 amongst others
Just playing devil's advocate here for a moment ......

"Pioneer" implies leadership, and being one of the first to do something.

Perhaps the "pioneering in alcohol sponsorship of motorsport" can be related to their level of sponsorship, or the way in which they are sponsoring the team.

Look a little closer and you will find that Jack Daniels is running an important message with its sponsorship - "Pace Yourself. Drink Responsibly."

I cannot recall any sponsorship from over the years where any alcohol company has preached "drinking responsibly" - at least in motorsport.

I also cannot recall a major mass-market, worldwide alcohol brand as a major team sponsor of a highly-prominent organisation in Australian Touring Cars. Perhaps I am wrong, but I cannot think of any.

Certainly Sirromet Wines does not have the standing of a Jack Daniels across the globe ......
Old 9 Feb 2006, 00:44 (Ref:1518468)   #20
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
VD...I just wonder if we live in such litigous times that the best motorsport journos can do is regurgitate press releases to minimise the good Barristers bill. To me, a bit of investigative journalism would be great..
Old 9 Feb 2006, 03:46 (Ref:1518525)   #21
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the "pioneering" is that the cars runs on the stuff?!? You get the waft of bourbon everytime the car goes by, making you want to get some yourself?!? Subliminal/subsmellery?!?
Old 9 Feb 2006, 04:40 (Ref:1518537)   #22
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a great fan of the drink I must clarify - Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon!
Old 9 Feb 2006, 06:24 (Ref:1518551)   #23
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The exact quote from AutoAction is:

"Perkins' oufit is the first Supercar squad to sport title sponsorship from an alcohol brand"

This statement is almost correct - other than Paul Morris having Daddy pay for his drive with Simmoret branding we have only seen the odd VB logo on some Supercars or smaller logos here and there on other cars for other beverages in the V8 Supercar category.

If you don't like AutoAction then don't buy it. The AA bashing is really getting boring around here.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 06:31 (Ref:1518552)   #24
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Just playing devil's advocate here for a moment ......

"Pioneer" implies leadership, and being one of the first to do something.

Perhaps the "pioneering in alcohol sponsorship of motorsport" can be related to their level of sponsorship, or the way in which they are sponsoring the team.

Look a little closer and you will find that Jack Daniels is running an important message with its sponsorship - "Pace Yourself. Drink Responsibly."

I cannot recall any sponsorship from over the years where any alcohol company has preached "drinking responsibly" - at least in motorsport.

I also cannot recall a major mass-market, worldwide alcohol brand as a major team sponsor of a highly-prominent organisation in Australian Touring Cars. Perhaps I am wrong, but I cannot think of any.

Certainly Sirromet Wines does not have the standing of a Jack Daniels across the globe ......
Mac,
Fosters Australia, formerly Carlton & United Beverages
(formerly Carlton & United Breweries, who were simply once known as C.U.B) have run an "Enjoy Responsibily" campaign for about four years now, across it's beers, [ VB, Draught, Mid, &Fosters] and its spirits, [ Cougar Bourbon & Run & Black Douglas Scotch]
Old 9 Feb 2006, 06:51 (Ref:1518555)   #25
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't seen "Enjoy Responsibily" on a car