Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:13 (Ref:1523282)   #1
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like 12 teams for good (or bad)

Max has suggested that F1 will not be moving the 12 team maximum limit anytime soon.

Link to article.
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=35031

This makes me very sad indeed, one of the changes I had hoped for most was a lifting of this limit or at least a raise to 14 teams.

Reasons of Pit Garage allocation may be good ones but I for one think that an business that is worth as much as F1 would find a way around this at venues.
I believe the more cars the better for us fans simply because there will always be different groups fighting it out in different areas of the table and this way these groups would be bigger and probably more interesting.
(and now he's suggesting a relegation structure!)

Jordan/Minardi battle last year would have looked better to the world if there were 2 more teams contesting it.

More teams the better chance of a good honest close fought battle somewhere in the field.

Am I wrong?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:19 (Ref:1523291)   #2
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
out of interest - which circuits cannot hold more than twelve teams in garages? what with new circuits coming in and the like, should be a way around it.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1523296)   #3
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max is just playing games to put the pressure on for the rest to sign up.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:33 (Ref:1523300)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah... that seems to be his plot.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1523303)   #5
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One step at a time I think. If the cost cutting measures work over the next few years, leading to genuine interest from more prospective teams, I think the 12 team maximum might be movable.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1523310)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking around the websites of F1 circuits, very few of them give information regarding what pit facilities they have.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1523313)   #7
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a fair point that this is probably more about Max putting the unsigned teams under pressure. The 12 team deal is one of my pet peeves so this suggestion by him relly pushed my buttons. Lets hope it's just being used as leverage.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1523331)   #8
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned somewhere that the Albert Park circuit pit facilities would struggle with more than even ten or eleven teams, I think? I don't have any actual evidence of that, but I know it's been mentioned somewhere, and I'm pretty sure it also went on to say that an extension to the pits would be out of the question.

Does this mean we'll possibly be seeing the GP return to Adelaide in the future?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 12:32 (Ref:1523361)   #9
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pit allocation to little for 12+ teams?
didn't F1 have lots more teams in the early nineties?

apart from Monaco and Melbourne Park, I can't see which tracks would not be able to hold more than 12 teams in the pits
Old 15 Feb 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1523386)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82
pit allocation to little for 12+ teams?
didn't F1 have lots more teams in the early nineties?

apart from Monaco and Melbourne Park, I can't see which tracks would not be able to hold more than 12 teams in the pits
As it turns out Spa can't currently handle an 11th team in the F1 pit area let alone more than 12.

I have no facts to go with this, but I wouldn't imagine that Montreal would be expandable given that it's on a fixed piece of land on a manmade island.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 17:04 (Ref:1523530)   #11
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Spa does have the other section of pitlane which F1 doesn't use so could, in theory, cater for more teams, but then they'd have to use the full pitlane, rather than cutting back out again just after turn one.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1523537)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
As it turns out Spa can't currently handle an 11th team in the F1 pit area let alone more than 12.

I have no facts to go with this, but I wouldn't imagine that Montreal would be expandable given that it's on a fixed piece of land on a manmade island.
it's called reclaimation, like the dutch did all in a good cause of course.

how many garages are there now?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1523550)   #13
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
that's odd. in 2000 there were 11 teams, and Spa could handle them all in their F1 pits. I have no recollection of a pit box being removed, so what's the problem?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1523554)   #14
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink69
but then they'd have to use the full pitlane, rather than cutting back out again just after turn one.
Do they not use that for the spa 24 hous, that always has a big grid or the WTCC races?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1523639)   #15
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's disappointing that at the most there will be 12 teams, because I had thought one of the ideas to improve F1 was to have MORE teams. One extra, or even no extra, is not good. It would seem a bit odd if A1GP and/or GP2 have more competitors than the supposed pinnacle of motorsport.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1523674)   #16
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The following circuits had enough space when Formula 1 used to have more than 30 cars: Imola, Interlagos, Hockenheim, Hungaroring, Magny-Cours, Montecarlo, Montmeló, Montreal, Monza, Silverstone, Spa.
I think the plot idea to force rebel teams to sign 2008 CA is verosimile.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1523676)   #17
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
that's odd. in 2000 there were 11 teams, and Spa could handle them all in their F1 pits. I have no recollection of a pit box being removed, so what's the problem?
And in 1994 they didn't have any problems to handle 14 teams in their F1 pits.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 22:55 (Ref:1523872)   #18
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
The entry to the pit lane has changed since then, it used to be a straight in entry missing out the Bus Stop.
The F1 section of the Pit lane is now shorter as it's entry is now part way through the bus stop.

1981-2001
Current Layout
Old 16 Feb 2006, 00:01 (Ref:1523922)   #19
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pitboxes might be only half of the problem, it might be a question of space in the paddock aswell. Which is something the older European tracks have in short supply sometimes.

With facilities like the McLaren Communications Centre and the Red Bull Energy Station the requirements for space must be higher than it ever has been in F1.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1524241)   #20
jluisfer
Rookie

Portugal
Lisboa
jluisfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that in our times is very dificult to make a F1 team,with the end of Tabaco advertisement and with financial problems around the word is very hard to arrange the budget to make a good and solid team.Make a team to be always the last in grid I don't think that is a good idea
Old 16 Feb 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1524300)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluisfer
I think that in our times is very dificult to make a F1 team,with the end of Tabaco advertisement and with financial problems around the word is very hard to arrange the budget to make a good and solid team.Make a team to be always the last in grid I don't think that is a good idea
True, but with the expected (or anticipated) slashing of running costs set to be introduced, the FIA I suspect, will have a serious amount of people submitting entries for consideration!

F1 is already known as a superb marketing tool, so if the annual sponsorship budget is vastly reduced than what it is now, and tobacco coverage also being reduced new firms will be very keen to get in on the act.

All this means that along with the proposed lowering of the entry 'bond' prospective teasm bosses will be able to find the money a lot easier and put together the resources required to set up a decent squad.

For example Prodrive, Penske (not Berger anymore!) and the likes of ART, Racing Engineering and I wouldn't be surprised if EJ and Stoddy start discussing possibilites of coming back.

However the FIA probably aren't all that confident that the manufacturers that are currently intransigent will be sticking around, so FIA may have in mind that these mooted new teams will actually end up replacing them..
Old 17 Feb 2006, 12:28 (Ref:1524990)   #22
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Pitboxes might be only half of the problem, it might be a question of space in the paddock aswell. Which is something the older European tracks have in short supply sometimes.

With facilities like the McLaren Communications Centre and the Red Bull Energy Station the requirements for space must be higher than it ever has been in F1.
Isn't this part of the problem? Give them less space for each team and less facilities and it should cut costs. If there is no room they cannot physically take so much stuff , communications centres would need to be scaled back etc and costs would fall.

They have done without all this is the 80'/90's so it can be done again.

Personally I would like to see 30 car grids and if other formulas can manage with 26 cars and above F1 should be no exception.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1525039)   #23
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I have to admit i'm a little disappointed at this. I wouldn't mind seeing some more teams either. More teams, more racing.

Selby