Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Mar 2001, 22:06 (Ref:73721)   #1
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im not gonna post a poll, because i know how sick veryone is of them. But i want to know who they honestly think will be the top Vauxhall driver come October; Muller, Plato, Thompson or Bennett? I think its a really difficult decision to make now. Let me think.
Old 22 Mar 2001, 22:08 (Ref:73724)   #2
hunttheshunt
Veteran

If there are no team orders at 888 Jason and Yvan will be oh so close. Last year there was nothing between them. Thommo and Phil i also expect to do well, i think it may even be concievable come October its a Vauxhall 1-2-3-4 in the drivers championship. However, if i had to choose one driver for the number one spot, i think it would have to be Yvan.

Just.
Old 22 Mar 2001, 22:27 (Ref:73739)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Still not convinced about this 'no team orders' bit.

Put yourself in Vauxhall's position. Going into the last few races it's down to 2 drivers, say Muller and Thompson. Your PR department wants to produce an ad campaign to publicise your championship win, but wait.... do you want pictures of an Astra with "VAUXHALL" in foot high letters across the side, or one with "EGG:SPORT" ?

Anyhow, in answer to your question - Muller
Old 22 Mar 2001, 22:39 (Ref:73745)   #4
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, I know I am about to ask a very naive question here, but can Vauxhall impose team orders on the Egg team?

My guess would also be Yvan Muller, but there again Thompson
definately has something to prove.
Old 22 Mar 2001, 23:00 (Ref:73755)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
In theory, no they can't. In practice... "Now Mr 888, it's contract renewal time soon..."

Better say "allegedly", before someone sues my ar*e.
Old 23 Mar 2001, 00:13 (Ref:73778)   #6
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Plato has aggod chance this year but Muller has experience in an Astra so I think he'll win the championship
Old 23 Mar 2001, 00:29 (Ref:73784)   #7
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its a tricky one isnt it guys but may i let you look across the sea a look into dtm in effect most of the opel teams are privateers reuter was a works guy and ok he was the best but i wouldnt like and cant see and didnt seethem holding back winkelhock for example!! lets hope there are no team orders i doubt it anyway, and i think vauxhall will have more of an input than people think to the egg car - at the end of the day vauxhall are desperate to win so i think as long as an astra crosses the line first then great - but yeah from an ad version it would be ideal if muller or plato to win, but i see i great ad campaign if an egg car does win you may see slogans such as EVEN OUR CUSTOMERS BEAT US, OR OUR CUSTOMERS ARE THE ONLY WINNERS, etc etc would love to see phil do it but as a long time thompson fan my eggs are quite literally in one basket this year i never thought phil would race at this level but hey sorry mate thommo for the title
Old 23 Mar 2001, 17:23 (Ref:73930)   #8
hunttheshunt
Veteran

Hmm...not many people seem to be going for Jason. I think he'll be right up there. I'm constantly changing my mind over who i think will win!
Old 23 Mar 2001, 20:07 (Ref:73977)   #9
RIKB
Veteran

There is also the small matter of a couple of guys in Pugs who are hoping to have a say in the matter!
Old 23 Mar 2001, 21:32 (Ref:74001)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hard one this. Where do I start? Yvan Muller?, Jason Plato?, Phil Bennett?, James Thompson?, etc etc.
Old 23 Mar 2001, 21:42 (Ref:74003)   #11
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by RIKB
There is also the small matter of a couple of guys in Pugs who are hoping to have a say in the matter!
But the question was who would be the top Vauxhall driver.
Old 23 Mar 2001, 23:42 (Ref:74035)   #12
RIKB
Veteran

Yeah I know, and it will be Yvan Muller! Who will probably also be champ. but nothing is certain as we know.
Old 24 Mar 2001, 11:20 (Ref:74111)   #13
GT2001
Rookie

GT2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muller
Old 24 Mar 2001, 12:20 (Ref:74121)   #14
hunttheshunt
Veteran

Btw, the q of who will be top pug driver is also a really tough one.
Old 24 Mar 2001, 14:08 (Ref:74138)   #15
redshoes
Veteran

Top Pug driver eh ? Can't decide on that one either.

Dan Eaves - the new boy, knows the team and a quick driver but will he get overlooked for his more expereinced team-mates. He's the one I'd realy like to see do well, just not sure if it will happen.

Matt Neal - the "people's champ", has the speed when he puts his mind to it but too easily distracted to be consistant. Too many times he's got involved in silly mid-field accidents when he should have been running closer to the front.

Steve Soper - the old man, was very quick but no recent TC experience to judge on. Look at Cleland, one of the guys to beat in the early 90's but how competitive was he in more recent times?
Old 24 Mar 2001, 20:09 (Ref:74201)   #16
hunttheshunt
Veteran

The internal team battles will be as interesting as last year-Muller v Plato v Thommo v Bennett. 888 Vauxhall MSport v 888 Team Egg Sport. Eaves v Soper v Neal. Malkin v Pinkney. etc. Expect fireworks!
Old 27 Mar 2001, 11:40 (Ref:74709)   #17
Bosscat
Rookie

Bosscat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Yvan will win if he doesn't spend his time wacking other cars as he is definatly the best driver at the moment but i do think that Matt Neal will give him a good run for his money!
Old 27 Mar 2001, 19:35 (Ref:74807)   #18
hunttheshunt
Veteran

I think all of the above threads prove its definately gonna be close between the four Astra drivers.
Old 27 Mar 2001, 20:49 (Ref:74821)   #19
petrolhead_old
Rookie

petrolhead_old should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm gonna jump off the fence here guy's, plato WILL win the championship cause he IS quicker than muller, (r u listenin jp)
Old 28 Mar 2001, 11:18 (Ref:74919)   #20
hunttheshunt
Veteran

There was certainly nothing between JP and Yvan last year-it was oh so close!