Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:06 (Ref:1528787)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Glenn's Lost It" - Dick

Reported in AA today, Dick Johnson made mention of the sacking of ;ead driver Glenn Seton before the conclusion of his contract.

The exact words were...

Johnson revealed that cutting Seton loose was a business decision which was required to enable the team to move forward.

"It is a tough, hard, business out there and if you can't cut the mustard anymore well, you know, we've got to do something about it." explained Johnson. "It's a decision that we just had to make"

Assuming Dick actually said this... he is of the opinion that Mr Seton is washed up as a driver.

My question of course is that if Mr Seton is washed up, what does that make Junior....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:09 (Ref:1528790)   #2
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A waste of rubber and fuel even though Daddy can't see it.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:14 (Ref:1528796)   #3
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
My question of course is that if Mr Seton is washed up, what does that make Junior....
Useless, but blood is thicker than water and obviously Johnson's head is thicker than Ayres Rock
Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:38 (Ref:1528819)   #4
V8RYAN
Racer

Australia
SANDOWN
V8RYAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the good thing for steven johnson is that he will never get called "washed up" because that would imply that at some stage in his career he was actually good.

juniour is a waste of a seat just like morris and besnard
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1528840)   #5
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes, if Dick's comments about the release of GS are true, then how does he explain retaining Steve "I'll have 2 Hot Dogs and a Diet Doke"?
Good Grief, if W Luff was offered THE SAME opportunity ....I would wager money on him presenting better results than Jr.
Finally, imagine if V8SC teams all adopted a "certain level of fitness" policy. Would the same sentiments have been discussed in this thread?
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1528841)   #6
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was amazed at this comment. And thought I would have a look at this again. If you look at the times recorded in qualifying for the 14 events last year it shows a interesting trait.

For the whole year Jnr was on average .15 of a second quicker than Seton over 14 races. But if you break the data down and look at it by the different types of tracks it shows a different picture.

On tracks with a lot of 90 degree corners Seton was slower than Jnr. Seton has said all last year that he could not get the car to turn in like he wants it to.

If you look at the really fast tracks like Puke, Bathurst, Phillip Island the 3 fastest tracks on the Calender Seton was faster than Jnr.

Know I would have thought that if a good driver was past it, on the slow tracks he would be ok but on the really fast tracks when you need to be committed and not past it he would be slower.

Looking at this the opposite is happening.
So was the car a dog?
or
Is Jnr past it also
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1528842)   #7
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Will Davidson is the "the way forward" is it? He certainly starred on in A1GP. I'm still mighty p..sed off about this :-(
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1528846)   #8
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Same. Seto deserved that drive in the #18 car this year. I already knew that excuse from DJR months ago.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:27 (Ref:1528867)   #9
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"It is a tough, hard, business out there and if you can't cut the mustard anymore well, you know, we've got to do something about it." explained Johnson. "It's a decision that we just had to make" - these were probably the exact same words quoted to Johnson in 2004 by Shell when they cut their sponsorship.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1528887)   #10
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, agreed....it makes one ask what colour the kettle may be? Perhaps it's white, or ceramic, or cast iron. If it was stainless steel, it may well be a waste as it seems that someone can't see past his nose. Who is the heaviest driver in the field? Not Seto!!

One has to wonder where "The Rock" truly dwells now!!??
Old 22 Feb 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1528938)   #11
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol at all the Steven Johnson bashing.

Here is me thinking that beating your team-mate for five consecutive seasons would get you a little respect.

And don't give me the "they are shafting the #18 driver to make Jnr look better argument". Seriously, the stories of them not listening to which direction Seto wanted to go with in terms of chassis development are great conspiracies, but letting the engineers do the engineering and the drivers do the driving isn't such a stupid idea...

Flame away people
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1528939)   #12
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe GTR Magic's current sig is pertinent...

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1528947)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

well that makes him a better driver on recent form (last 5 years) than seton
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1528952)   #14
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Reported in AA today, Dick Johnson made mention of the sacking of ;ead driver Glenn Seton before the conclusion of his contract.

The exact words were...

Johnson revealed that cutting Seton loose was a business decision which was required to enable the team to move forward.

"It is a tough, hard, business out there and if you can't cut the mustard anymore well, you know, we've got to do something about it." explained Johnson. "It's a decision that we just had to make"

Assuming Dick actually said this... he is of the opinion that Mr Seton is washed up as a driver.

GTR This was after printed in Auto Fiction.That say's it all.

Remember back in 94 when DJ called Seto a speed hump, sounds like DJ at it again without coming out directly and saying it. Is age starting to show on poor old Dick( You lost alot of fans over that desion last year Dick)
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:13 (Ref:1528957)   #15
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Glenn Seton cant "cut the mustard" why would the top team in V8 supercars snap up Glenn as their co driver for the most important 2 races of the year.

How could Glenn do anything with those slow ol Westpoint Falcons!

At least he will be in one of the 2 fastest Falcons in the country with SBR grunt AND reliability as a tool to prove his worth.

Go get em Glenn - show Dick what am inane statement he made about you!

watch for the speedhump driving #17 at Sandown and Bathurst!
as you SBR power past him
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:17 (Ref:1528963)   #16
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Endurance racing is all about being there at the finish not necessarily the fastest driver. The non-endurance rounds (I refuse to call them sprint rounds) require speed as well (and not just in qualifying).

So, by electing to put Seton in the enduro events, they are effectively saying 'We know you will bring it home - you're not the fastest driver on the block, but you are consistent and careful'.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:24 (Ref:1528969)   #17
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
I am tired of Johnson Snr firing people from #18 because they out shone "Daddy's little champion" Get a permant driver please Dick. It is going to cost you heaps in the long run
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1528982)   #18
evo51
Rookie

evo51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OMG i cant believe that comment i now want seto to win more than ever to stick it right up snr johnson he sacked the wrong person this time at least wps has leaped frogged a team in popularity now......
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1529284)   #19
Lowndesfan6
Racer

Lowndesfan6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pot, this is Kettle Over.......

DJ, you kept driving for about 3 years too long after you lost it, so who are you to say someone else has lost it.

Having said that, it's true what DJ has said, Glenn has lost it to some degree.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 21:46 (Ref:1529352)   #20
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say that Glenn isn't as quick as he was but I think someone should remind Dick about who qualified where at Bathurst last season.

Arguably the track with the most driver input on the calender.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 23:09 (Ref:1529430)   #21
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJR is a team in decline, has been since Bowe left. Hmmm wasnt that about the time Jnr started? Seton may not have set the world on fire but just remember it was only 12 months ago that Dick signed him - would anyone suggest that Glenn has deteriorated in 12 months - dont think so. Bad decisions, bad team.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 01:28 (Ref:1529507)   #22
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I will gain great pleasure in watching Seto, in an SBR Rocket, go sailing past #17 & #18 @ Bathurst-assuming that he is ever behind them
Old 23 Feb 2006, 01:40 (Ref:1529509)   #23
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndesfan6
Pot, this is Kettle Over.......

DJ, you kept driving for about 3 years too long after you lost it, so who are you to say someone else has lost it.

Having said that, it's true what DJ has said, Glenn has lost it to some degree.
I think it is quite correct for Dick to comment as he has first hand experience of when a driver has lost it.

I also agree that of late Glen has not had the machinery to prove his worth however the signing with SBR will give Glenn the opportunity to be master of his own destiny.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 01:48 (Ref:1529511)   #24
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator22
DJR is a team in decline, has been since Bowe left. Hmmm wasnt that about the time Jnr started? Seton may not have set the world on fire but just remember it was only 12 months ago that Dick signed him - would anyone suggest that Glenn has deteriorated in 12 months - dont think so. Bad decisions, bad team.

and since Les Laidlaw left- now at SBR
Old 23 Feb 2006, 02:09 (Ref:1529521)   #25
Crowestar
Racer

Australia
Crowestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have to say Dick has lost it by getting rid of Seton but he has brought in another great talent in Will Davison. I just hope now that Davison shows his true colours and performs well.

But then again I haven't heard anything about V8 Telecom or First RockHome Loans other than in the motorsport mags. Johnson said his marketing plan is via telemarketing. I can see phones being slammed down in their ears all over the country so I think another marketing strategy might be needed to be employed. Will this see the end of Dick Johnson Group (inc DJR) as no one likes telemarketing? As a fan of motorsport I hope not but you never know.