Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 3 Apr 2006, 17:25 (Ref:1569243)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At last...common sense prevails!
http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk
Old 3 Apr 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1569302)   #2
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Glorious Green.....Common Sense is so uncommon these days!
Old 3 Apr 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1569305)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I knew I should'nt have chucked all those red ones away, they will be worth money in a few years time. I prefer the green though.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1569506)   #4
v8mgbgt
Rookie

Isle of Man
cambridge
v8mgbgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
great and about time !
Old 3 Apr 2006, 21:22 (Ref:1569522)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had heard of that possibility; excellent news; just looks and feels right!
Old 3 Apr 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1569537)   #6
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Motorsport originally changed from "Green" to "Red", I received a letter that said it was to make it stand out on the magazine stalls!
Old 3 Apr 2006, 21:49 (Ref:1569552)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, a real joke that one wasn't it? Blended in nicely with all the fashion mags! When I enquired at their stand at Goodwood Revival why the change, I was told that red stood out more! Yes, if all the other mags were green!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1570009)   #8
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I agree that a return to a green cover is absolutely right I still won't be buying it. The last few issues I have looked at were terribly thin and the content has become much more slanted to quite recent events. Very expensive for what it is.

I do realise, however, that my interest has been more than adequately covered over the years and they do have to find new topics to write about.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 19:56 (Ref:1580665)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Just had the latest issue; in the editorial, Marcus Simmons confirms that it's going green again ftom the next issue - June.

I'm going to split these last few posts off and stick them in Armchair
Old 13 Apr 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1580670)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh, it's going green again?

Great stuff!
Old 13 Apr 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1580689)   #11
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news; you see that all our comments must have worked.
I guess that the red didn't stand out as well as the green in the shops.

At least when green I can find them back between my wife's fashion magazines.....
Old 13 Apr 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1580695)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But how will it be done?

Will it be the traditional green design, or the same as it is currently, just with the red changing to green.

And will it be proper green, or some horrible luminous concoction?
Old 14 Apr 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1581223)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The illustrations suggest a return to the green it was just before the change to red! However, not sure the layout will alter much from the current cover!
Old 18 Apr 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1587576)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'm glad to see a return to the more traditional green.

As someone mentioned earlier, I have also noticed that the magazine has become thinner in recent months, although the quality of writing is still excellent.
Old 30 Apr 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1598243)   #15
Pondo
Rookie

Pondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good - it was a stupid idea to change it in the first place.
Old 30 Apr 2006, 19:04 (Ref:1598253)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I best subscribe again! Although this wasn't technically due to the colour my lack of subscription will coincide with it. I shall pretend it was.
Old 2 May 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1599262)   #17
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I agree about how stupid it was to change the cover - the modern curse of rebranding. I had a subscription for a couple of years, but stopped when it went red - part coincidence partly because I loved the old look and the history that went with it. I do get the odd copy but like others I have noticed it seems to be quite a bit thinner these days. Most of the obvious topics have been covered which is going to be an ever increasing problem for it, and for me personally increased coverage of historic racing is not enough to make me subscibe again.
Old 2 May 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1599302)   #18
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Whether it is thinner or not is not really the issue for me. I have been pleasantly surprised by the recent articles on some of the more backwater areas - SuperSaloons and the career of Tony Trimmer, for example. Much rather see this than trying to shoehorn the history of the 250F into 6 pages when I already have 3 or 4 books doing so in detail. Unless there is something very interesting to add, like photos of the Argentinian specials based on them.
Old 4 May 2006, 09:53 (Ref:1600537)   #19
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I thoroughly enjoyed the recent SuperSaloons feature.

I would love to see some footage of those cars in action, as I'm afraid they were slightly before my time. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful.
Old 12 May 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1606842)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Got the June edition through the post today. Lovely dark green with the magazine title in the old style black with white border. The quality of the cover now reflects the contents which have been revamped a bit too. The only question mark I have is over the 'Script' style adopted for some of the headings; maybe a bit OTT. Otherwise looking good and although haven't had time to read it yet, the article titles indicate some great reading in store.
Old 16 May 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1611775)   #21
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
I got myself a copy of the June issue yesterday, and have had plenty of time to devour it, due to being laid up with a slipped disc.

Despite sharing John's reservations about the tyepface used for headings, I have to say that the magazine as a whole looks beautiful. The content is as good as ever, especially with the features on JYS and Michael Andretti. Although I'm sure many readers will have something to say about the comments made by Max Moseley re historic racing cars.

All in all, a big thumbs up.
Old 16 May 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1611781)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Agreed, and let's hope the rumour that they want to go 'Octane' is just that, a rumour! I suscribe to both and they fill different niches and it should stay that way.
Old 16 May 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1611800)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I picked it up today, to make up for being late to college (!).

Fantastic......I love green.
Old 17 May 2006, 14:46 (Ref:1612634)   #24
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Had a browse of the new look Motorsport in the WHSmiths reading library, and was impressed by the 'build quality' of the magazine, it feels like it will withstand many years of being re-read. I was a little surprised at the price (£4.95) which is the obvious downside to such high production values.
Old 17 May 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1612643)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
It's only once a month, Trucko, and if you become a subscriber it works out about a £1 a month less.