Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1587490)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
San Marino Weather... Rain all the way....

At the moment the forecast is for showers all week.
If there is one race I pray for rain its Imola, it needs a wet race to make it interesting.

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/SMXX0001.html
Old 18 Apr 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1587508)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not sure I believe this, really.....

Here's hoping...
Old 18 Apr 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1587522)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The extended forecast at least would suggest some sun on raceday. Should make for some good racing - wet qualifying with a dry or changeable race...
Old 18 Apr 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1587526)   #4
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, unlike many - I always love the Imola race come rain or shine. But a wet race, would be fantastic. Don't forget, that this will be the last San Marino Grand Prix, to use the Variante Bassa and pit complex, which in it's own way, will be sad...
Old 18 Apr 2006, 11:23 (Ref:1587547)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hungary and Spain are usually worse, but all 3 of these tracks rarely if ever produce rain. Wet races are almost always the best, as more things can happen and the driver is tested more. The chances of a Michael win would surely be increased further by rain. I don't really have any definite mental impression of how good Fernando or Kimi are in the wet yet - does anything stick out for anyone else?
Old 18 Apr 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1587584)   #6
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well at Interlagos 2003, we all know what happened to them both. But, I don't think that's any reflection - they've both matured as drivers in my eyes.

Of course also Spa last year, Kimi lead a KR/FA 1-2
Old 18 Apr 2006, 12:32 (Ref:1587617)   #7
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
if it will rain.... we will see something like in Australia. Lots of cars will crash, but it will be cool.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1587648)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Could well make things entertaining...

we know that on historical evidence certain drivers excel in tricky conditions (unless they push to hard and stack it that is)

Namely,

M Schumacher
JP Montoya
D Coulthard

As already mentioned, there aren't many stand out ocassions where Alonso or Kimi have had to tackle very poor conditions, although Fernando did slam through the field in last years' opener, which from memory, was a starting damp, gradually drying affair?

The other big question, as always is have Michelin got a full wet that can offer anything for the Bridgestones?
Old 18 Apr 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1587664)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Don't forget Ruben's, he is good in the wet..
Old 18 Apr 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1587680)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In case of rain Fisi could do well too
Old 18 Apr 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1587682)   #11
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...how well does the traction control work in the wet?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 18 Apr 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1587686)   #12
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

i think rain always makes a race more intreasting...
It becomes more compettive and unpredictable with rain
Old 18 Apr 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1587741)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Don't forget Ruben's, he is good in the wet..
Ah yes, good one, and the opportunity to do well in such conditions couldn't come ata more important time for him....
Old 18 Apr 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1587748)   #14
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wet race would be fabulous. Its been a while.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1587758)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr69
...how well does the traction control work in the wet?
Too well!
Old 18 Apr 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1587785)   #16
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
In case of rain Fisi could do well too
only if it dry for him and wet for the others...
Old 18 Apr 2006, 17:24 (Ref:1587799)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Michelin seem confident that they can go well in the wet.http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=115292
Old 18 Apr 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1587823)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

They did last year....they improved greatly....although Spa was quite quirky conditions.....
Old 18 Apr 2006, 18:05 (Ref:1587830)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I'm crossing my fingers, but I am not pinning my hopes just yet, as its always the same with these forcasts, they show it as being some kind of tropical storm with 3 days to go, then when there is only 1 day to go, its a tropical heatwave...
Old 18 Apr 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1587926)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
first time in a long time that i am as excited if not not more excited for qualifying over the race - provided it rains of course
Old 18 Apr 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1587972)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
As long as it is not on-and-off drizzle I don't mind...
Old 18 Apr 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1588005)   #22
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I don't really have any definite mental impression of how good Fernando or Kimi are in the wet yet - does anything stick out for anyone else?
I remember Kimi going well at Silverstone in 2002 on what were then very poor Michelin wets. I recall him passing Ralf in the dry and then when it started to rain a poor pitstop to put on wets put him back again. He then went about passing a bunch of drivers in the wet including Ralf again. Pretty impressive driving IMO.
I hope it rains at Imola this weekend. There's something quite magical about an F1 car slicing through the rain. The rain and the kerbs at Imola should be quite fun to watch. I think'll I'll have to scrounge up my copy of '93 Donington and watch it as a primer.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 18 Apr 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1588024)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
As long as it is not on-and-off drizzle I don't mind...
i think thats one of the reasons why it might be good.

stratagies concerning the 3 sessions changing on the fly, such as who will be able to save tires for the race by running wets or inters, the 110% rule for those in the final session, and just how drivers choose to go out with many probably waiting for the last 5 min of each session to allow for maximum drying time.

i just hope its not ruined by yellow or red flag periods, but as long as no one gets hurt that too might add to the excitement.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 21:50 (Ref:1588031)   #24
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
In on-and-off drizzle scenarios Bridgestone slicks are much worse that Michelin slicks. This is why I hope that weather is not present.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 23:41 (Ref:1588147)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
In on-and-off drizzle scenarios Bridgestone slicks are much worse that Michelin slicks. This is why I hope that weather is not present.
As we were told in practise at Melbourne,the Michelins seemed to cope with the drizzly stuff much better than their Bridgestone counterparts.

Once again however i feel that tyre performance will have an overbearing part to play in the result of the 2006 San Marino GP.