Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1591746)   #1
DeoValente
Racer

DeoValente has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
66 polepositions for Shumi

Well done to the german!!

Another worldrecord that goes his way.

Lets hope there will be many more to follow.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1591748)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess the only record he hasn't won is being the youngest world champion...he'll do that next year....

Seriously, this is quite something espcially as Ayrton won his last pole postion here at Imola 12 years a go at that tragic weekend....
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:07 (Ref:1591750)   #3
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
he was superb in qually today .. better than Bahrein even ..
Ferrari looks superb

Ciao Marco
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1591753)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So is he the best qualifier of all time?
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1591756)   #5
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well done MS on a good pole .. and well done RB good to see you back at the right end

(and on a angry point)
and Well done Williams Staff on stuffing up another Quali session .... here is a tip watch the damn clock ..... for a change try pitting b4 the 5 min to go point... Tyres do need more than one lap !!!!!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1591757)   #6
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
that's for another thread ..
he just has the biggest number of poles .

Ciao Marco
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1591760)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was very appropriate that the record fell here, I must say....
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1591762)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
highest no. of poles for MS well done..!!...but not the greatest qualifier of all time...
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:15 (Ref:1591768)   #9
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look at the ratio of pole position and races, Fangio might have been the best qualifier of all time.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:15 (Ref:1591769)   #10
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep jamming more races into a season and it makes it easier to hit the mark

Not the best qualifier of all time IMO, but by far the best a the moment
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:15 (Ref:1591770)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Senna or Clark are still the greatest qualifiers ever - probably Senna, as he regularly took poles with cars which were not the fastest. Still, well done to Michael for taking the last really significant record - we've certainly witnessed the most dominant F1 era from he and Ferrari.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:17 (Ref:1591774)   #12
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty damn impressive.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:18 (Ref:1591776)   #13
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Senna or Clark are still the greatest qualifiers ever - probably Senna, as he regularly took poles with cars which were not the fastest. Still, well done to Michael for taking the last really significant record - we've certainly witnessed the most dominant F1 era from he and Ferrari.
wasn't Schu on pole quite often in 96-97-98 ??

Ciao Marco
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1591779)   #14
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is easier when you have little competition, except Eddie
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1591782)   #15
shugruah
Rookie

Portugal
Porto
shugruah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Im realy sad... the bogie man ate them all(records)!!! life goes on...

as for the race i think that mclaren will stop only once. kimi was the 2nd best e the "2nd" qualif. so he must be heavy.

ferrari reminds me minardi last year: they cant win races so at least they try to be noticed in the qualif! the difference betwen MS times in the 2nd and 3rd qualif. is 0.2!!!!!!!! he probably willl have to refuel in the first lap of the race... if montoya spins again and the formation lap is to be repeated MS is in big trouble.... lol
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1591785)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

A slightly forlorn hope I suspect shugruah!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1591786)   #17
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well done- magnificent! Forza Ferrari

Tifosi should be mad nuts this weekend!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1591852)   #18
DeoValente
Racer

DeoValente has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webber
well done MS on a good pole .. and well done RB good to see you back at the right end

(and on a angry point)
and Well done Williams Staff on stuffing up another Quali session .... here is a tip watch the damn clock ..... for a change try pitting b4 the 5 min to go point... Tyres do need more than one lap !!!!!
I was thinking the same about renault and Fisico... what an amateuristic piece of timing!!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1591865)   #19
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not the best qualifyer ever, his strike rate wasn't all that high, it's just the fact he's been in 15 years. Senna was only in F1 for 9 seasons in 9 full years. Senna was the ultimate qualifer and in my opinion there hasn't be a proper true pole winner since 2002 when it was based on the fastest driver.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 15:31 (Ref:1591884)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I await Inigo sugggesting that Fisichella's failure to clear the session was the team's fault, or even that they intentionally scuppered his run. Truth is, he had a faster car than Alonso and was still slower, admittedly not by much, but he had as many chances as anyone else to set his time. I assume he still has a cold, or some other mystery ailment.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1591895)   #21
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Congratulations to Michael!

While I agree that Fangio was probably best all-time, it is quite an accomplishment and after all this time in F1 he still has the skills to put a car on pole.

It makes me a bit sad though to be reminded of the loss of Senna. How fitting a tribute it is to him in a sense that the record was broken at Imola!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1591896)   #22
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I await Inigo sugggesting that Fisichella's failure to clear the session was the team's fault, or even that they intentionally scuppered his run. Truth is, he had a faster car than Alonso and was still slower, admittedly not by much, but he had as many chances as anyone else to set his time. I assume he still has a cold, or some other mystery ailment.
Fisichella's failure to clear the session was the team's fault, or maybe they intentionally scuppered his run. Maybe he still has a cold.
Happy?

Now, back on topic. Fantastic accomplishment for Michael, practically now owning the record book!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1591902)   #23
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An excellent achievement for Schumi. In terms of raw pace he's not as fast as Senna (but who was?) but it's a remarkable record and the result of consistent speed. One of my favourite poles of his was in Monaco 1996 when he put that rubbish Ferrari on pole ahead of Hill in the Williams and then with one lap still left he went out and did another lap which wasn't as fast but was still quicker than Hill.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1591904)   #24
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good job for Schumi, thumb up etc etc, but I still don't think these records are of any importance. They obviously prove roughly that MS is a great driver, but comparisons between drivers are not at all safe based on these facts.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1591907)   #25
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bravo!

Congratulations to Michael for his achievement.
While it's easy to get lost in the inevitable comparisons of who was the best, who was most dominant, who deserves the most plaudits etc, this superb & enduring athlete has persevered in the face of professional and personal downtime, patches both purple and plain, and his share of controversy that most top line drivers inevitably become touched by.

However nothing can take away from his accomplishments, and this 'record' is yet another example of just what a privilege it is for us all to be living and witnessing someone of his calibre and tenure that in all likelihood, may never be matched again in an overall singular way; certainly it would seem unlikely in our lifetime.

Schumi had not only one of the biggest & most respected shadows in the history of F1 to emerge from when he was starting out in the early 90's, but he has stayed the course and achieved his own greatness, and I for one consider myself fortunate to have been around to see it unfold.

Thanks for the all the thrills, spills and drama so far Michael .. it is said you never know what you've missed until it's gone .. that being the case, I hope you are around for a little while more to come.