Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 6 May 2006, 02:12 (Ref:1601536)   #1
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Rain Delays

I've been watching FX, and the Busch series was going to get out of their second rain delay of the night. After the last two weeks, and some runs of rain at events we've had in the past, it's definitely starting to wear on me.

Yes, I did hear the commentary on why they "can't" run on ovals in the rain, but a couple things I am aware of lead me not to buy that it "can't" be done. First of all, British tintops have run in the rain at Rockingham Speedway in England (a relatively low bank 1.5-mile oval). That does show though that touring cars (or stock cars) can run on an oval in the wet. The other item that makes me quite convinced that NASCAR can run on ovals in the wet is the Nurburgring 24 Hours. Those 750hp "touring cars" run rain or shine on a circuit that has more turns (170+) and changes in elevation (984 feet between highest and lowest points) than virtually any other still used in the world. There is an incredible amount of lateral loading going through most of the high speed sections, which accounts for more than half of each 13-mile lap, and the negative G's on the runs before Flugplatc and Tiergarten are just insane. In additon, there are two to three places per lap where the cars get airborne on every hot lap.

So yes, I think NASCAR could run in the rain given what other touring car series have proven is possible.
Old 6 May 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1601971)   #2
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only cars to run on the oval at Rockingham in wet conditions are our "pickup trucks" which are 2L powered. Avon Tyres developed a special tyre for use on the oval.

As far as I know, tests with our ASCAR's (same as your now defunct ASA cars), proved that it wasn't safe to run them in the wet.

NASCAR run at far greater speeds than our cars, on much higher banking. Due to centrifugal force playing a great part in the way the cars handle, I don't think that running on wets would be a good idea at all.

Though saying that, they do run the Daytona 24hrs when it rains, and they use a fair part of the speedway for that...

With my safety hat on, no.

Rob.
Old 7 May 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1602551)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well they could all just slow down a bit and drive to the conditions Rob like we have to.
Old 7 May 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1602575)   #4
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ASCARs ran on saturday in the rain (well not heavy but it was rain and the track was wet), they wernt seting fastest laps but no one went off (I dont think anyway)
Old 7 May 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1602579)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thats as often as not as bad if not worse than a good downpour, it was like that yesterday at Thruxton and it felt very slippery. I think they would have to run as the British weather is just too unpredicable, one of the reasons I think drag racing can be disappointing over here.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 7 May 2006 at 18:21.
Old 7 May 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1602662)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Why don't they just run more races on road courses Laguna Seca, Mid Ohio, the list goes on...
Old 12 May 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1607146)   #7
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Why don't they just run more races on road courses Laguna Seca, Mid Ohio, the list goes on...

Nascar scraped the rain tyres after they dry rotted and didn`t look back to driving in the rain, even on the road courses.

Very wimpy. But the series is so big now that the fans in the stands are priority number one, and they must see a good show.
Old 13 May 2006, 02:35 (Ref:1607506)   #8
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be crazy for Nascar to even "consider" racing in the rain, sheesh. I can just see them at Dega in the rain.
Old 13 May 2006, 03:11 (Ref:1607521)   #9
Dobbo89
Rookie

Australia
Mayfield
Dobbo89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like the idea of them not driving in the wet, but then I don't have to drive them, sonoma and watkins, maybe even bristol (as if they have enough problems running in the dry) run them in the wet, they have no excuse, eveywhere else in the world they do it, but 'dega, no way. it is easy to say "drive to the conditions" but if you are following someone, and you know your car can do 200mph, you will do 200mph, just to get past them, and the driver in front, will do 200mph, to stop you passing him/her. I do not believe, however, that they cannot make a wet tyre to handle the conditions, just has to be a harder compound thats all.
Old 13 May 2006, 07:11 (Ref:1607643)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
You will back off once the tail slides out or you or others have had a trip into the barriers, then you will drive to the conditions for sure. It is exactlythe same in all forms of motorsport, you don't go (you simple cannot) balls out when conditions do not allow it.
Old 13 May 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1607826)   #11
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trouble is, Al, when the tail slides out on a banked oval, at Superspeedway speeds, there's too much of a chance that you'll end your day in the bar with Dale Earnhart Snr.

Even on the short ovals like Bristol, it's still a no-no due to the severe banking. Centrefugal force has too much of a part to play.

BUT, I cannot understand why they don't run in the wet on the road courses. Goodyear (Dunlop!) have some excellent wet tyres. They'd just have to put up with getting a little wet!

Rob.
Old 13 May 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1607860)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I used to race in the wet on 1/4 mile ovals no problem. Just take yer foot off the loud pedal surely.
Old 14 May 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1609333)   #13
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Running the small ovals might work, but can you imagine pack racing, and Talladega in a 43 car field, in the rain? The spray would be insane.

I thought the reason they didnt run on the RCs in the wet was the cost of producing the tyres for 2 events (and they probably wont even be used) is too high?
Old 14 May 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1609352)   #14
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Well they could all just slow down a bit and drive to the conditions ....

But don't care.
Old 14 May 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1609387)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Whats so funny? You drive too fast, you crash, answer slow down a bit if the conditions don't allow it, don't please tell me about driving powerful V8 racing cars in the wet as I have been doing it for years in fact only last week at Thruxton it was raining and yes I did manage a spin in practice so drove accordingly in the race, slow yes but there you go I finished and got it home in one piece (and won the class because no one else made it), you drive according to the conditions surely!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 14 May 2006 at 10:47.
Old 14 May 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1609434)   #16
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nascar is doing just fine without driving in the rain. Give them a little credit for their decision not to race in the rain.
Old 14 May 2006, 12:01 (Ref:1609463)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thats why it will never be anything in this country, you have the climate to usually pull it off, we don't same as drag racing.
Old 14 May 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1609492)   #18
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR isnt bothered about doing well in this country though. Or anywhere outside North and Central America. If they have the climet to pull it off, no reason why they shouldnt
Old 14 May 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1609499)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Fair comment.
Old 14 May 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1609887)   #20
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm kind of with you Al. Unless there's some technical reason that I'm missing then surely they just need to ease off a bit? After all Moto-GP, F1, ALMS, etc. etc. all run when it rains - often producing awesome races.

The rain is a great leveller, in our series we often see 1300cc cars out-qualifying the 4.0l V8 monsters when it's wet...
Old 14 May 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1609944)   #21
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
But its not just NASCAR that dont run in the rain on ovals. ChampCar and IRL will both call a rain delay if it rains at an oval. And ARCA and all the rest of it. So surely there is some reason that ovals in the rain are just a no go?

But realisticly, could you imagine Talladega in the wet? Or Michigan? Or Lowes? It would be a death trap! Im not for the "nanny state" as Top Gear viewers like to call it, but theres a line to draw for me and ovals in the wet just sounds too insane.
Old 14 May 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1609948)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
At least with the banking the track would drain properly, ever tried a lap of Silverstone National in the rain? The standing water and spray has to be winessed to be believed!
Old 15 May 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1610578)   #23
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not having wipers may play a part in it.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 15 May 2006, 18:16 (Ref:1610844)   #24
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
NASCARs used to be fitted with wipers should it start raining -

Old 17 May 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1612599)   #25
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That'll shut me up :P

It was mentioned earlier that the tyres dry rotted? I guess the expense of making tyres for a whole field of cars but not using them, and then having them unusable for any other race makes a bit of a waste. Having them stored better could just be the answer, how long does a slick generally last? or would they just get used and never really have to be stored for more than a few months.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock