Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 8 May 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1603129)   #1
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa 24 Hours

Loved the FIA GT meeting at Silverstone yesterday and seriously considering a trip to Spa in July considering British F3 will be there the same weekend.

Anybody got any tips? cheap ferries, best way of getting there, where to stop etc?

cheers
Old 8 May 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1603261)   #2
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First tip, go! it's an awesome race at an awesome circuit!

As for ferries, we usually go Dover-Calais, Speedferries are cheap. However, we're going to Spa this weekend for the LMS, and had to book Dover-Dunquerke with Norfolkline, as Speedferries cancelled. Still a good deal.

Once you get to France, it's fairly easy to get to Spa, although try not to go through Brussels (unless you've got a good Sat Nav!), as it's easy to get lost.

But, go! Spa is amazing!
Old 8 May 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1603466)   #3
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look here.
Old 8 May 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1603686)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
be warned that everywhere within a "reasonable" distance of spa is booked up already, so camping will be the way forward...

it's really easy to get to spa. just follow the e40, join the r0 for about 10 miles and then turn off again, following the e40. then there's signs for spa as soon as verviers appears on the signs.

eurotunnel do a good ticket with a maximum 48 hour stay which won't be a good one for this because the main race lasts too long.

Last edited by bella; 8 May 2006 at 20:26.
Old 8 May 2006, 23:38 (Ref:1603820)   #5
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Depends, we did it last year (short notice thing), left at 4am on Saturday morning, back about midnight Sunday, cost £38. Wouldn't reccomend it though, unless you have a designated driver...
Old 9 May 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1604004)   #6
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just Go. Like Mike, I'm off there this weekend for LMS

Book Sea France, be about £80 return. There are enough camp sites around, or do what I've seen others do - take your sleeping bag into the track with you and sleep on the grass trackside.
Old 9 May 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1604316)   #7
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Waking up in a puddle sounds like good fun!

Whats it like driving over there then? I've never driven abroard or been in a car with anyone else that has been - is it pretty straightforward....well providing you remember that you should be driving on the opposite side of the road to the UK!?

Seriously considering it - just gotta persuade my partners in crime that a bit of rain just makes it even more fun!
Old 9 May 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1604506)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's a bit strange being on the wrong side of the road, and you do have to think a bit (don't forget to notify your car insurers if you need to), but don't overanalyse and it's fine. going the other way round the roundabout and things is instinct when it comes to it.
Old 9 May 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1604514)   #9
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a fantastic event. I'm not sure you'll struggle for accommodation, there are loads of small family run hotels in the vicinity (less than 10 miles) that in my experience are never full during the race weekends. It's probably worth getting in touch with the local tourist office in Spa and seeing what they can suggest.
Old 10 May 2006, 09:12 (Ref:1604909)   #10
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Cheers everyone!

Is there a Radio Spa or equivalant for keeping up the GT racing especially?

Seriously considering this, 500 miles from Chester - I really thought it was further!

Driving on those French roads makes me slightly nervous mind!
Old 10 May 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1605070)   #11
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a radio station, but it's a local one that transmits in French. Take a portable radio just in case.

I wouldn't worry about the roads, just be careful as the towns on road signs are in local spellings. Liege = lieuk etc
Old 10 May 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1605086)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
if you get nervous about it gaz, you'll have a problem. when i start questioning myself, i drive on the wrong side of the road, regardless of whether it's in england or france.. the most difficult bit is coming off the ferry!

road sign wise, all i'd recommend is printing off a set of directions from calais from viamichelin.com (don't forget to get a reverse set too). it'll tell you exactly what to look for on the road signs.
Old 10 May 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1605173)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Driving on the 'wrong' side of the road is simple... the only time I have ever been caught out has been in supermarket car parks and the like and once when I pulled a u-turn on a hotel forecourt and went merrily on my way on the left hand side of the road Seriously though it's a peace of pee. The only thing I find difficult driving overseas is the differences in the road signage - but if you have a passenger for moral support you'll be good.
Old 10 May 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1605279)   #14
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never been to Spa before... how ever I'll be going along with Mike this week for the LMS and again for the FIA GT.

From what I heard Spa is at least 1000 times more awesome trackside than it is on tv, and on tv it is pretty awesome.

In which case it would be extremely bad manners not to go to Spa if you had the opportunity
Old 10 May 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1605296)   #15
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Is there a Radio Spa or equivalant for keeping up the GT racing especially?
Radio, if not changed, is 107.5 and they speak french and english.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Driving on those French roads makes me slightly nervous mind!
Never mind, every time I drive there I'm nervous.
Old 16 May 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1611337)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
That was a grand day out, having never been to Spa before I found out what a real track should be like, the hills and corners made silverstone look like a scalectric set, the actual race was great despite the rather chaotic start.
We did the whole trip from Kent in one day and that in a 35 year old Triumph stag, so two tanks of fuel, tickets and ferry was £150 for three of us.

We saw very few Brits either on the journey or at the circuit, what is the matter with all the sports car fans in this country, a great race on what must be one of the greatest tracks and only a day trip a way.

If 100,000 can make it to Le mans then perhaps Spa could expect a little more support, it is worth the trip and if you I myself visit it for the first time you will wonder why anyone bothers to watch racing on a flat and boring circuit.