Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 16 Jul 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1657685)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why so many caution periods?

Watching the Busch series race last night, and seeing the first incident, I wondered why a full-course yellow was necessary for a harmless spin.

Surely, allowing a caution period for something so trivial will just make everything stop-start.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 06:45 (Ref:1657970)   #2
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yep. NASCAR quite often overreacts and throws a caution for the slightest thing...
Old 17 Jul 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1658204)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is the philosophy there - you have to call the caution. Why was there a spin? Was it because of oil? Lets wait and have a look... ...cue several other cars burying themselves in the wall.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 18:03 (Ref:1658433)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is frustrating at times, but ultimately common sense. It is how oval racing works.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1658927)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Most things, on ovals, justify it.

There are times, though, when it is not required (or else it is required, but there seems to be 5 laps more than necessary under caution).

There are undoubtedly, to my mind, occasions when a yellow is thrown in the interests of bunching the pack up.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1659020)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Most things, on ovals, justify it.

There are times, though, when it is not required (or else it is required, but there seems to be 5 laps more than necessary under caution).

There are undoubtedly, to my mind, occasions when a yellow is thrown in the interests of bunching the pack up.
Sometimes known as the, "Hey Bubba, there is a cigarette butt in turn one!" call.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1659028)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Then, though, there is the other end of the scale.

A couple of times in the Infeon (spelling?) race, there was much inconsistency.

At times a car would seem to only need to run wide for a caution, but others a driver could be facing the wrong way, in the middle of the track, in the middle of a corner, and have the whole field run past him, somehow avoiding contact, and not a caution to be seen.

I found hard to understand how situations like that did not get a FCY, but other times a car would harmlessly spin and get back on track in a few seconds and a FCY would be thrown.

All mysterious stuff if taken at face value, but if one was willing to entertain the notion of strategic FCYs, well, then it made sense.

It is not good at all, but at least coherent.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1659099)   #8
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My wife asked exactly the same question when watching the Busch race at the weekend too so I'm guessing this was the same spin, that got sorted out without any fuss and the danger was over in about 3 seconds.

The yellow served absolutely no purpose because the drivers would have hopefully reacted to their spotters telling them about the spin before reacting to the yellow so the yellow didn't make anything any safer.

But sadly in their organisers defence they threw the yellow probably before it all panned out ok. In retrospect it was wrong (surely) but at the same time they have no choice
Old 18 Jul 2006, 15:48 (Ref:1659237)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
My previous post was actually refering to a road race the other week, but the instance you highlight is, IMO, a reasonably common occurance throughout the three series.

On ovals, by and large, erring on the side of caution has to be applied (pun not intended, but will be allowed, ).

It is for this reason, for the most part, that I don't tend to mind a FCY, in itself, being thrown for spins.

What does bug me is when a harmless spin causes 5, or more, laps of caution, whereas they could quite easily go green in a maximum of two laps. Alternately, it also annoys me when they are thrown after an incident is over. I mean such things as a car will run slighty off the track, but pretty much immediately get back on line, and then the FCY is thrown.

I don't buy the need for those situations at all.

As I say,though, more often than not, in terms of the ovals, the FCY calls are reasonable enough.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 17:20 (Ref:1659293)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They usually through a NASCAR 'yellow' for no reason to bunch up the field again.

And they have done it in the past if they feel tyre wear will be angerous they through a caution after so many laps.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1659317)   #11
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
My previous post was actually refering to a road race the other week, but the instance you highlight is, IMO, a reasonably common occurance throughout the three series.

On ovals, by and large, erring on the side of caution has to be applied (pun not intended, but will be allowed, ).

It is for this reason, for the most part, that I don't tend to mind a FCY, in itself, being thrown for spins.

What does bug me is when a harmless spin causes 5, or more, laps of caution, whereas they could quite easily go green in a maximum of two laps. Alternately, it also annoys me when they are thrown after an incident is over. I mean such things as a car will run slighty off the track, but pretty much immediately get back on line, and then the FCY is thrown.

I don't buy the need for those situations at all.

As I say,though, more often than not, in terms of the ovals, the FCY calls are reasonable enough.
The reason is it usually 5 laps, is because they open the pits for lead lap cars after the first lap under yellow, then the next lap, the lap down cars come in, then they all must rejoin, then the following lap, they throw the green.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1659432)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Ah, OK, I pondered that in the past as the reason, but was not sure.

Well, I think they need to exercise a policy whereby they just don't open the pits if it is clear there is going to be no need for a "clean up".
Old 22 Jul 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1661862)   #13
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are there so many cautions??? It is Nascar's way of showing consideration for the fans.

It allows us time to replenish our beer.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1662201)   #14
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A harmless spin might lead to a stall and a further wreck. Better to slow the pack than have a big crash.

Keeps the racing exciting as well on short tracks
Old 25 Jul 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1664373)   #15
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last Sunday at Pocono, NASCAR called a yellow because of the lack of testing and the worrys over tire wear. I believe they also called a second dubious yellow later in the race. I have seen yellow flags for gloves, spring rubbers and commercials. The yellow flag issue should be number 1 on NASCAR's agenda for next year.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 01:39 (Ref:1665519)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkiman
A harmless spin might lead to a stall and a further wreck. Better to slow the pack than have a big crash.
When the car is spinning in the middle of the track, and is in the middle of a pack, then, yes, absolutely.

HOWEVER, there are times when the person goes off to the infield. Any stall would not affect anybody. IF the stall occured, then I guess they could throw one if they wanted. They could wait and see, though, in these instances, and only through the flag if the person does not get back on track.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1665738)   #17
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
In Daytona Busch race, on the last lap Denny Hamlin spun but they didn't wave the caution. It was also GWC so the caution would have ruined the finish. Gloves and sping rubbers can do harm if you hit them 180mph Some race this year it was either Harvig of Jeff Gordon who damaged his radiator when a piece of track came up and hit his front end. About that testing caution, IMO it's quite fair not to punish them because saturday's practice was rained out.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 20:42 (Ref:1680838)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I am watching the Busch race at the Glen. The caution periods were unnessecary long.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1693114)   #19
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Busch race at Martinsville, was caution, after caution, after caution, after... I think you get me. NASCAR really need to sort this out, if a car spins and does'nt cause a wreck and keeps going, keep it green. Common NASCAR, use your head.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1693128)   #20
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkiman

Keeps the racing exciting as well on short tracks
I agree. Better to err on the side of safety. Obviously there are a few cautions that need not be called, however, I would rther live with them than see a serious accident as a result of not calling a caution.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1693413)   #21
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
That Busch race at Martinsville, was caution, after caution, after caution, after... I think you get me. NASCAR really need to sort this out, if a car spins and does'nt cause a wreck and keeps going, keep it green. Common NASCAR, use your head.
Apparently they won't eturn to Martinsville next year. Busch guys can get pretty wild sometimes and combined with relative unexperiencedness(nice word eh? ) thy keep spinning and spinning. As I heard, in Bristol's Busch race, there was a quite heavy crash after caution wasn't thrown out after a spin. Several guys missed the car but one or two didn't. If a car does a 360 then of course there shouldn't be a caution though.