Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Sep 2006, 09:04 (Ref:1710034)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Best preparation outfits?

Prodrive, TWR, Alan Mann, Rouse, Schnitzer, Brock/HDT, West Surrey Engineering, Broadspeed, Eggenberger, CC, Autodelta, Imberti, Jack Roush, Holman Moody, Zakspeed etc...

Some highly succesful build/prep/teams outfits have come and gone but which firms/figureheads have caught your imagination over time?

Any class (some catered for many anyway) can be covered here...
Old 14 Sep 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1710087)   #2
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a lovely question to mull over...

having crawled all over a genuine Alan Mann car i'll never forget the marvels hidden beneath the surface, but it was actually a Team Lotus car originally, but the sense of wonder was there and that's important in my book - that feeling that the car has been prepared by guys with magic wands...

Schnitzer M3's really floated my boat when the WTC mob descended on Silverstone - but that's because I love M3's and the fact that most of the hardware was available off the shelf from BMW took away a bit of that sense of wonder

It's easy to admire brilliant preparation when the car itself is one of your favourites, but what sticks in my mind was the impressive quality of a couple of Herbie Clips sponsored TWR Rovers at the GP support race at Brands in ???'86 - I was never a huge fan of the SD1 but I was able to have a really good look at those cars and they just looked superb - and what impressed me was how rugged the TWR cars always seemed to be and I loved Walkinshaw's philosophy that a well prepared car should always be quick off the racing line because in a race you spend a lot of time lapping backmarkers and so forth

I would love to have one of those cars on the mantlepiece...

Last edited by chunterer; 14 Sep 2006 at 14:47. Reason: added sponsor name in for you!! and i'd like a nice model SD1 on my shelves too!
Old 14 Sep 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1710118)   #3
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went to a talk given by Adrian Reynard about 25 years ago. When he was running a team of FF2000's he insisted on everything being clean and ordered. Drivers and sponsors were paying, at times, a lot of money and he wanted them to feel they were getting value for their dosh. The mechanics were constantly working on the cars, although at times they didn't need it. He insisted on a high standard of preperation and made sure the cars were always imaculate. In those days this wasn't the norm but nowadays it's the standard.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1710251)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Im not sure that these are totally relevant. I apologise for the quality, it was getting dark. These were taken the night before the 73 Grand Prix at Silverstone and shows the preperation for the destruction derby next day.

A little bit different to the F1 of today!

At least the public could get into the Paddock

Hesketh. Note the grubby clothes match the car!

Lotus appear to have Bill Oddie working for them!

McLaren. Is that the remains of a pint of beer on the sidepod. Not up to Rons standard!

Tyrrell. Not all the bodywork lying around.

It is amazing how little space the teams have to work in, how much rubbish is lying around, but at least you could get to see it!
Old 14 Sep 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1710330)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alan, very atmospheric! Let's hope the quality of preparation was better than the quality of the surrounding workspaces!
Old 15 Sep 2006, 23:32 (Ref:1711480)   #6
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mcneil engineering
Old 16 Sep 2006, 04:21 (Ref:1711568)   #7
MONDELLO MAN
Rookie

MONDELLO MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joest and Kremer , briliant at multitasking , no makeweights , everyone had jobs to do and they did them very effictively .
Old 17 Sep 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1712477)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alan, those are fabulous. I've just been watching a DVD of the 68 Le Mans, and the privatreer teams building cars at the circuit are a joy to behold. HUGE piles of tools, and even a lady in a fur coat wielding a spanner. Ah, happy days.

Best team? Joest, especially when running the R8s.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1713156)   #9
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan Raine, could you please e-mail me at gary@yesterdaysracers.com ?
I am currently producing a DVD on the Lotus 72 & was wondering if you had any more photos of the car and the team? Sincerely, Gary Critcher
Old 29 Mar 2007, 12:59 (Ref:1879164)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman
Best team? Joest, especially when running the R8s.
Pretty handy at running 956's and 962's too?

On the National scene Marshall/Asquith, Colin Davids and Roger Dowson were dab hands at running all kinds of saloons in the 80's.

All their cars were well turned out and well presented and nearly always competitive.