Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 29 Sep 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1723334)   #1
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What to charge for photo usage in ad

I've been approached informally (i.e. nothing agreed) to supply a photo for use in an advertisement. It's a fairly small company but the ad would be quite widely seen in magazines and such. The photo is from a race meeting earlier in the year so no additional work/travel is required. Can anyone give me a clue as what's a reasonable rate? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not say in the forum.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1723336)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had the same thing happen earlier this year, the company in question need the photo the next day so I just came up the with price and they agreed to it. I have PM'd you.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 21:17 (Ref:1723352)   #3
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
how bad do they want it?

i would ask them to make you an offer and then add about 20% to that
Old 29 Sep 2006, 22:32 (Ref:1723379)   #4
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbaiter
how bad do they want it?

i would ask them to make you an offer and then add about 20% to that
LOL! Not that badly!
Old 1 Oct 2006, 19:14 (Ref:1724633)   #5
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

dont put yourself down!
Old 1 Oct 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1724669)   #6
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I only charged a couple of pints for one of mine a year ago which is still being used-and I'm still thirsty!
Old 1 Oct 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1724691)   #7
tim-b
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
tim-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I know anything to do with money is always a sensitive subject, and of course I'm not trying to pry into anybodies private business , but it would be nice to know what the going rate is for an image for press (or anything else for that matter)...its been in the back of my mind to try to sell stuff for a while now, if only to test the water, so come on all you pros, don't be coy!

And another question on the same subject, do the pros generally get comissioned by magazines to cover specific events or is it a case of you approaching them afterwards with your best shots?

Hope i'm not being too forward,

tim

PS Baz, i'm no expert, but it sounds like you're a rubbish businessman....i would have held out for at least a bag of crisps as well...

Last edited by tim-b; 1 Oct 2006 at 21:00.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 17:56 (Ref:1725487)   #8
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-b
I know anything to do with money is always a sensitive subject, and of course I'm not trying to pry into anybodies private business , but it would be nice to know what the going rate is for an image for press (or anything else for that matter)...its been in the back of my mind to try to sell stuff for a while now, if only to test the water, so come on all you pros, don't be coy!
In my experience magazines don't pay much - or at least the ones which deal with classic/vintage racing don't. If you're lucky, one published picture might cover petrol costs. There again, it depends how big the reproduction is and how far you've travelled... To give you a further clue, I live in the Midlands within easy reach of Donington, Mallory, Silverstone etc.

I've had the occasional picture published which was sent on spec but most of my sales (and there haven't been many) have been through a picture editor phoning up and saying "Were you at such-and-such meeting? Did you get a picture of 'X'? Can you have it to me by this afternoon/tomorrow morning?"

I'm watching this with interest to see if any of the pros are prepared to spill the beans.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1726165)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I wanted an answer to this question and felt really sneaky, I would approach one of the bigger photo sites and ask for a quote for just what you are being asked.

Then give a discount of 20% and feel happy and possibly help generate repeat business.

Regards

Jim
Old 3 Oct 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1726846)   #10
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
If I wanted an answer to this question and felt really sneaky, I would approach one of the bigger photo sites and ask for a quote for just what you are being asked.

Then give a discount of 20% and feel happy and possibly help generate repeat business.
It's an interesting strategy but I we never got as far discussing details so wouldn't be able to get a realistic quote from an agency. Actually it's all gone a bit quiet so the opportunity has probably gone away now anyway. Nevermind, it was fun while it lasted...
Old 3 Oct 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1726858)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
However, if you have missed the opportunity then you will be in a postion to know how much to charge next time...
Old 7 Oct 2006, 00:17 (Ref:1730374)   #12
tim-b
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
tim-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadan
I'm watching this with interest to see if any of the pros are prepared to spill the beans.

i guess not...
Old 7 Oct 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1730579)   #13
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-b
i guess not...
No surprises.